News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: HVC on November 27, 2020, 03:16:06 PM
I actually like the first prequel. goes down from there though.

Truthfully, of the original trilogy i only like the first one anyway

Heresy

Empire Strikes Back was the best of the three

celedhring

Well, this episode was brilliant. Might be my favorite of the show. Echoes of Kurosawa.  :wub:

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 07:11:14 AM
P.S.: What if Thrawn is Gideon's boss?
Not a chance.

he's not the kind of subordinate Thrawn would want, needlessly sacrificing other Empire soldiers, especially in a time when resources are quite limited.
Using civilians as shield is certainly not above Thrawn, nor is stripping a planet of resources, tricking an entire race into servitude, or turning a blind eye to slavery and other evils of the Empire, but needlessly sacrificing a bunch of soldiers for the possible incompetence of one research director, no, not him at all.
Beside, he wouldn't recreate a Force wielding leader he can't control, like Snoke.

I see two possibilities:a) Palpatine's clone is alive and pulling the string, but too weak to assume leadership openlyb) Gideon is part of an organization or Moffs/Generals/Admirals that realize they can't do shit without a Force wielding Emperor and are attempting to re-create them, unaware that Palpatine is pulling the strings behind the scenes
I dislike both ideas, but we got to work with the material we were given ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Yeah it gave off serious old school samurai vibes.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on November 28, 2020, 01:10:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2020, 07:11:14 AM
P.S.: What if Thrawn is Gideon's boss?
Not a chance.

he's not the kind of subordinate Thrawn would want, needlessly sacrificing other Empire soldiers, especially in a time when resources are quite limited.
Using civilians as shield is certainly not above Thrawn, nor is stripping a planet of resources, tricking an entire race into servitude, or turning a blind eye to slavery and other evils of the Empire, but needlessly sacrificing a bunch of soldiers for the possible incompetence of one research director, no, not him at all.
Beside, he wouldn't recreate a Force wielding leader he can't control, like Snoke.

I see two possibilities:a) Palpatine's clone is alive and pulling the string, but too weak to assume leadership openlyb) Gideon is part of an organization or Moffs/Generals/Admirals that realize they can't do shit without a Force wielding Emperor and are attempting to re-create them, unaware that Palpatine is pulling the strings behind the scenes
I dislike both ideas, but we got to work with the material we were given ;)

Fair points. What, then, if Thrawn and Gideon were rivals and Gideon using his weapons projects to try and overpower Thrawn to become the "true" leader of the Empire?

Also, someone pointed out that the HK droids had the emblem of Thrawn's 7th Fleet on their heads:

Since we didn't hear of Sabine or Ezra, I would assume they're been reunited, and Ahsoka is now pursuing Thrawn for ... whatever reason there might be. The Empire re-arming in the Unknown Regions (which is also where the Chiss Ascendancy is) despite the disarmament treaty with the New Republic? I could see her working for the early Resistance trying to keep tabs on what the Not-Yet-First Order is doing. The X-Wing cop last episode already hinted that they're aware of things happening "out here" (i.e. the Rim).

Knowing Thrawns pragmatism, there might be an alliance of convenience to take down Gideon?

Tython is according to current lore in the Deep Core. So there might be a chance next episode is set somewhere in the core worlds while on the way there? Also, I'd imagine Tython is not a generally well known location, and we might have to hunt information again next episode, which usually means doing a favor for someone. :P

Sidenote: we have Bo-Katan and Ahsoka on quests to hunt down one man, Gideon and Thrawn, respectively. Wonder if those quests will intersect. But Bo-Katan and Ahsoka together on screen feels more like a Season 3 thing, maybe? Or maybe we just round up the people from earlier in the season again for the big finale. :P

I'm still kind of expecting that the series will culminate in the re-taking of Mandalore, and Din becoming the next Mandalore (with the show title meaning THE Mandalorian), but I'm happy to be completely wrong if it turns out the series is headed some place else entirely.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2020, 03:20:23 AM

Michael Biehn's death scene reminded me a lot of the goon with the gun that tries to kill Sanjuro after surrendering, too. Plus the whole "turning against the local lord that hired you" plot point.

This might be my favorite episode of the show, admittedly of out of pure cinephilia. The photography and directing were absolutely on point. Christ, just give Filoni a Star Wars movie.

Eddie Teach

I don't care for the name they picked.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Also, I know that Yoda's race isn't known for their language skills, but if he had formal Jedi training, wouldn't have hurt to teach him to speak. He doesn't even seem to speak his race's language.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2020, 06:58:22 AM
Also, I know that Yoda's race isn't known for their language skills, but if he had formal Jedi training, wouldn't have hurt to teach him to speak. He doesn't even seem to speak his race's language.

Yoda was 900-something when he died, so for convenience let's say they live 10x as long as humans, and age at 1/10. So Grogu would be 5 now in human years. And he would be like 1 or so when he was at the temple. We don't know what he did the past 25, 30 years. He might have been in stasis for all we know. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I suppose we'll eventually learn what happened to him all the way until Werner Herzog put up a contract for him. Incidentally, I hope this particular arc *doesn't* turn out to be Snoke's origin story (since Gideon was trying to create artificial force users). Honestly couldn't care less about Snoke. Rather the show kept carving his own niche.

The way he perks up when Mando calls his name was adorable, by the way. I was afraid that "Baby Yoda being cute" would get played out this season but somehow it keeps working  :lol:

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2020, 06:24:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 28, 2020, 03:20:23 AM

Michael Biehn's death scene reminded me a lot of the goon with the gun that tries to kill Sanjuro after surrendering, too. Plus the whole "turning against the local lord that hired you" plot point.

This might be my favorite episode of the show, admittedly of out of pure cinephilia. The photography and directing were absolutely on point. Christ, just give Filoni a Star Wars movie.

Isn't the initial sequence, with the soldiers from the walls trying to follow the fighting in the fog also taken from a Kurosawa film?

celedhring

Most certainly Throne of Blood, that's the quintessential "samurais and mist" Kurosawa movie, although I can't pinpoint the particular scene. The setting of the fortress was most surely inspired by the castle surrounded by fog in that film.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2020, 08:17:03 AM
Most certainly Throne of Blood, that's the quintessential "samurais and mist" Kurosawa movie, although I can't pinpoint the particular scene. The setting of the fortress was most surely inspired by the castle surrounded by fog in that film.

Is that the one based on MacBeth? The one that ends with Toshiru Mifune looking like a hedgehog because of all the arrows that he gets pierced by at the final battle?

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on November 28, 2020, 09:37:43 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 28, 2020, 08:17:03 AM

Is that the one based on MacBeth? The one that ends with Toshiru Mifune looking like a hedgehog because of all the arrows that he gets pierced by at the final battle?

Yes.