News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, I also watched the LEGO Star Wars Holiday Special. It's a cute little adventure/toy commercial/trailer for LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga. Starts with a small excuse to revisit various scenes from the movies (nicely done, including the respective music cues) before doing its own adventure. If you've seen the other LEGO Star Wars shorts you kinda know what to expect. There were a few funny gags, but at the end of the day it's a little fluff piece without much substance.

It's objectively better than the 1978 Holiday Special, but that makes it a lot less interesting to watch. I actually like the campy nonsense of the old one despite the cringe, but then I do like the bits with Bea Arthur and Harvey Korman, even though they run decidedly too long. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I quite liked the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special. :)  Watched it with the kids after Mando last night.

The basic conceit (I don't think this is a spoiler) is Rey gets a time-travelling Jedi crystal that lets her visit all the highlights from the various films (and Clone Wars, and even Mando). Wacky hijinks ensue, because that's the Lego Star Wars way.

I thought it was good fun, some very knowing humour (best line: [spoiler]Old Han Solo stands beside young Han Solo.  They both look at Greedo, then one of them says "Do you want to shoot first"?[/spoiler])
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on November 21, 2020, 01:22:27 PM
I quite liked the Lego Star Wars Holiday Special. :)  Watched it with the kids after Mando last night.

The basic conceit (I don't think this is a spoiler) is Rey gets a time-travelling Jedi crystal that lets her visit all the highlights from the various films (and Clone Wars, and even Mando). Wacky hijinks ensue, because that's the Lego Star Wars way.

I thought it was good fun, some very knowing humour (best line: [spoiler]Old Han Solo stands beside young Han Solo.  They both look at Greedo, then one of them says "Do you want to shoot first"?[/spoiler])

I really like the bit with [spoiler]the two Vaders on Hoth. :lol:[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

I was conditioned at a young age to avoid anything that had the words Star Wars and Holiday Special in the same sentence.

edit: I just made myself physically ill.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 20, 2020, 04:46:53 AM
- the Imperial base was representative of basically 50% of all Imp bases in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games :lol: Built into a cliff side, elevators, hallways, secret lab, and some lava thrown in for good measure.

That was my very first thought once they arrived. Massive JK vibes  :lol:

FunkMonk

This latest episode gets a 5 out of 5 on the Baby Yoda scale.

So goddamn cute   :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 21, 2020, 05:17:54 PM
This latest episode gets a 5 out of 5 on the Baby Yoda scale.

So goddamn cute   :lol:

He's cute even when getting electrocuted.  :lol:

celedhring

I'm not sure of Mando's employment of child labor in hazardous environments though  :lol:

Syt

We now know how he eats/drinks with the helmet - tediously. Especially since the helmet reseals/unseals every time.

I assume we will eventually become more relaxed about not wearing the helmet all the time. Not least because Pedro Pascal was apparently not happy that people don't see his face on a regular basis. Valid concern for an actor.

There's also fan speculation that the armorer from season 1 might end up being a villain when he starts straying from The Way of their little cult.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2020, 07:40:49 AM
We now know how he eats/drinks with the helmet - tediously. Especially since the helmet reseals/unseals every time.

I assume we will eventually become more relaxed about not wearing the helmet all the time. Not least because Pedro Pascal was apparently not happy that people don't see his face on a regular basis. Valid concern for an actor.

There's also fan speculation that the armorer from season 1 might end up being a villain when he starts straying from The Way of their little cult.

He only does that because The Child is present right? The rule is that he can't be seen without the helmet, not that he can't remove it (in private).

Also, my mom was seriously disappointed when he saw Pascal's unmasked face. "I expected someone more handsome"  :lol:

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 07:50:24 AMHe only does that because The Child is present right? The rule is that he can't be seen without the helmet, not that he can't remove it (in private).

I assume so. But that might not be practical at all times, like when you spend a lot of time in company.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on November 22, 2020, 07:50:24 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2020, 07:40:49 AM

He only does that because The Child is present right? The rule is that he can't be seen without the helmet, not that he can't remove it (in private).

Also, my mom was seriously disappointed when he saw Pascal's unmasked face. "I expected someone more handsome"  :lol:

IIRC doesn't he tell that lady in the first season (google: Episode 4: The Sanctuary) when asked when he last removed his helmet, his response was "last night"?

I kind-of assume that since I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't want this show to end any time soon that sooner or later Din Djarin is going to transition to not wearing his helmet all the time.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2020, 09:48:35 PM
CW is 7 season. Start with Rebels, it's more relevant to the current situation.

Also Resistance style is the weirdest.

Thanks for the advice.  I am on episode 11 of season one of Rebels.  I wasn't sure I would like watching a cartoon, but it is really quite good.

Syt

The Rebels season 1 finale episodes really got me hooked on the show. Till then I liked it, but I didn't love it yet.

Random thought on Mandalorian: this season we've seen him entrust the child 3 times in 4 episodes to other people:
- to Cobb Vanth when he goes into the Krayt Dragon
- to the Frog couple last episode
- to the school this episode

I guess it's mostly to have the kid out of the way during the action bits, but currently it's a great measure of who Din trusts. Let's hope this doesn't get disappointed at some point. Maybe if Bo-Katan trades the child for the Darksaber ... ?  :ph34r:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Solmyr

I've started watching The Clone Wars in chronological episode order, according to this: https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

Plan to watch Rebels after that.