And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on November 15, 2020, 12:25:56 PM
This time they're not wasting any merchandising opportunities.  :lol:

It was quite a sacrifice for Disney to not risk BY being spoiled last year by missing out on all that merchandising.

So they're definitely making up for lost time now!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Comparison of Bo-Katan between from Clone Wars to Rebels to Mandalorian.

Assuming she was ca. 20 during the Clone Wars, she would be in her late 40s, early 50s now?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I also notice, in direct comparison, I like the Clone Wars style better than Rebels. Rebels took me a bit to get into because it's a bit more stylized and cartoonish.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Speaking of style, the Mandalorians were clearly fans of Picasso (or: Picasso was inspired by them, considering the "A long time ago" part :P ) in how they depicted their war against the Jedi.

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on November 16, 2020, 11:56:05 AM
I also notice, in direct comparison, I like the Clone Wars style better than Rebels. Rebels took me a bit to get into because it's a bit more stylized and cartoonish.

Yeah, when I got Disney+ I tried watching both Clone Wars and Rebels and the difference in style was too jarring. Rebels felt too simplistic in comparison.

Syt

I got used to it in Rebels after a while. And I think, like in Clone Wars, the animations and detailing got better in later episodes. But I might be misremembering things.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on November 15, 2020, 12:12:59 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2020, 09:35:44 PM
I like seeing Kathee Sackoff interpret Bo-Katan, I think she nailed her perfectly.

Isn't she the voice actor for the same character in Clone Wars and Rebels?
duh!  hadn't realized that :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on November 15, 2020, 03:42:30 AM
That's fine, but he has been interacting with Mandalorians across the galaxy during all of his adult life (as seen in season 1). It seems odd he never came into contact or heard about other factions.
He only met the Tribe in season 1, IIRC.https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Din_Djarin
And most people who meet Mandalorians meet them with their armor and helmets on, unless they visit the Mandalore planet.

Who are supposed to be the oddballs in Mandalorian society, btw? Mando's group or Bo-Katan's group?
Mando's group, according to Clone Wars.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Should a watch Clone Wars or Rebels first.  I think I watched few episodes of Clone Wars back in the day.

Grey Fox

CW is 7 season. Start with Rebels, it's more relevant to the current situation.

Also Resistance style is the weirdest.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Obviously, I liked the episode. This is pretty much the ultimate fan service to me. The non Skywalker saga shows are finally crossing into real action.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 16, 2020, 09:54:17 PM
Obviously, I liked the episode. This is pretty much the ultimate fan service to me. The non Skywalker saga shows are finally crossing into real action.

Clone Wars is hardly a "non Skywalker" show...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Syt

For those who need it or want a refresher, Star Wars Explained has done a short video of Bo-Katan's story pre-Mandalorian as far as we know it.

https://youtu.be/rMPUINKtrJI
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Happy Mandoday!

Leaving out the spoiler tags. I assume people checking this thread know by now it contains spoilers.

Nice and fun action piece, but no big surprises - the escape method was heavily telegraphed, and the escape sequence, while looking very good was also quite straightforward. Mind you, this is minor complaining, though.

The main plot arc did get some love, though. We have it confirmed that Gideon is after the child for its blood and its high "M count" - I wonder what "M" stands for. :P

The guys in the tanks reminded me of Snoke due to the scar(?) on the top of their head. So we might see the early stages of the Snoke project, maybe? The holo recording speaks of volunteers. Question is if Gideon is trying to create a new Emperor, or if he's acting in accordance with a Palpatine plan (or maybe one evolves into the other? "Thanks for the effort, I'll take it from here. Love, Sheev").

A few random thoughts:
- the Imperial base was representative of basically 50% of all Imp bases in the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games :lol: Built into a cliff side, elevators, hallways, secret lab, and some lava thrown in for good measure.
- it was easy to guess the tracker twist because of the last shot of the mechanic before the group departed
- the last scene looked like we might see some Dark Trooper action? They looked similar to these Phase IIs that were introduced in the Star Wars Uprising game (which supposedly is canon?) https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Phase_II_dark_trooper I'm starting to think Gideon was heading some sort of research and special weapons division
- how THE FUCK was the Razorcrest completely overhauled into pristine condition so quickly? Did they spend weeks planning their assault? The hell?? :lol:
- child really needs to work on its impulse control; also needs to take a mechanics class
—Stephen Jay Gould