News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Yay, new episode.

I expect some people will be disappointed because [spoiler]it doesn't advance the main quest really, [/spoiler]but it was still fun IMHO.

The overarching theme of the episode was: [spoiler]"It gets worse."[/spoiler]

[spoiler]The rescue at the end was a bit Deus Ex Machina, but not to a silly amount. I can see the X-Wing pilots searching for the ship and then finding them in their predicament. I did like that they basically left them then and there without any further assistance, basically saying, "Be grateful we don't shoot you, too!"

The moment I saw Baby Yoda look at the eggs I thought, "Oh no ...." :o - I wonder if there'll be a pay off next episode. He ate what? Half a dozen at least? I wonder if the passenger will notice.

Also, nice to make use of the killed droid, and nice to hear Richard Ayoade again. ^_^

It looks like the spiders were Krykna, which we first saw in Rebels. They're quite resilient if they can live in such conditions: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Krykna

They're based on a Ralph McQuarrie concept for Dagobah in ESBE: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/8/89/RMQ-KnobbyWhiteSpider.jpg/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/1000?cb=20070807181205

Based on the episode title I thought the passenger would be Boba, but I guess not.

I thought the little fight at the start was a bit pointless except to establish that other folks are still hunting for the child. I thought that they would have some sort of ride that Mando could use, but I guess it's possible someone dropped them off there for later pick up.

I liked the comm chatter between Mando and the New Republic X-Wings. And you clearly knew that things went south when the switched channels and afterwards activated their S-Foils. :D[/spoiler]

Overall a very enjoyable outing, [spoiler]but I hope we can pick up the main story again next week, seeing how there's only eight episodes this season[/spoiler].
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

One more thing that stood out for me. [spoiler]With the frog lady's egg container, it seemed like the child was reaching out with the force to them when he first went to them? I wonder if he felt that they weren't beings yet (because unfertilized, like your regular chicken eggs), or what he sensed when he touched the glass and the slightly mythic music played (the same music that played when he approached the spider eggs, though he didn't seem to "reach out" to them, but rather do some more physical, non-force tests (knocking the shell, sniffing it).[/spoiler]

Theory I saw online: [spoiler]what if it turns out frog lady's husband is Bossk? That would be a fun twist (esp. since he would be a good candidate for knowing about Mandalorians), but I think it's unlikely.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2020, 11:34:05 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 05, 2020, 09:33:02 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 04, 2020, 07:33:58 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on November 04, 2020, 05:10:01 PM
Yeah, that is why I made the comment about the settlers not being the only source of explosives.   The Tuskens apparently fed their mounts to the beast for generations and it never dawned on them that feeding it something that would kill it would solve all their problems.

Tusken Raiders don't use explosives, IIRC.

There is something about hunting the beast and bringing back the krayt pearl that is some kind of fabulous exploit, but I'd have to replay KOTOR 1 to remember exactly what it was :P

And yet they got the pearl by using explosives  :hmm:

Yeah but that took place 4,000 years in the past of the movies. Over the millennia they forgot explosives technology.

They forgot about something someone just down the road was using?  And they came to get it?  And knew what it was for and everything. 

You guys really have to stop trying to defend this as making any sense.

Syt

KOTOR is not canon, so this discussion seems moot to me. Sand people in the current universe son't seem to have explosives. So what?

I do find it funny, though, that this is a sticking point in a universe that was created around samurai space wizards. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 09:19:04 AM
KOTOR is not canon, so this discussion seems moot to me. Sand people in the current universe son't seem to have explosives. So what?

I do find it funny, though, that this is a sticking point in a universe that was created around samurai space wizards. :P

The explosives are like a mile a way from them.  Their neighbours have been using them for years in their mining operations.  Are the Sand People, who raid that very settlement, deaf, dumb and blind?

Syt

Or they knew about them but haven't been able to obtain them, or have a full grasp of how they operate, or were just plain scared of them. Tons of reasons why they didn't dabble with them. Sorry if this "breaks" the story for you and destroys your suspension of disbelief. I give a lot of leeway to my silly space fantasy action fluff.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 09:19:04 AM
KOTOR is not canon, so this discussion seems moot to me.

Of course it isn't.

It is actually good and doesn't suck shit so clearly cannot be allowed to be canon in post-1983 Star Wars :lol:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 03:27:14 PM
:rolleyes:

That was my response to the last six movies as well.

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 though :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

I enjoyed all Star Wars movies. And the TV shows. I haven't watched Resistance yet, though. :)

EDIT: Even though I've been a big fan of the movies since I was a kid, I don't feel I ever cared much for the story. Characters yes, to an extent, but I always loved the universe first and foremost. So I'm not much bothered if the story is good or bad, as long as I get to see more of the universe.

I think later Clone Wars and Rebels, plus Mando, are the bits where I cared the most about the story and characters.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 03:29:27 PM
I enjoyed all Star Wars movies. And the TV shows. I haven't watched Resistance yet, though. :)

I envy you. I wish I enjoyed them.

I really wish Star Wars was cool.

But anyway if KOTOR is ever mentioned in this thread you can expect an appearance by me :P

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on November 06, 2020, 03:31:05 PM
I envy you. I wish I enjoyed them.

I really wish Star Wars was cool.

But anyway if KOTOR is ever mentioned in this thread you can expect an appearance by me :P

See my edit. I might be an outlier. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Weakest episode of both seasons so far.

Syt

P.S.: for me sci-fi shows are about escapism into a different world. As such I'm quite forgiving of plot holes (real or imagined), worn out tropes if they're freshened up a bit, or inconsistencies (I don't care if the rules for transporters or holodecks change, or how much damage Data's body can withstand between Star Trek episodes). A show has to be exceptionally abysmal or boring for me to stop following it once I start it. Doesn't mean I don't see differences in quality. However, I may enjoy show or movie A more than show or movie B, even though I might think that B is the better show or movie.

It's also why I try not to discuss shows on the web much anymore, because I know a lot of people are enjoying them a lot less than me. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2020, 08:49:17 AM

Theory I saw online: [spoiler]what if it turns out frog lady's husband is Bossk? That would be a fun twist (esp. since he would be a good candidate for knowing about Mandalorians), but I think it's unlikely.[/spoiler]
not the same species.I don't think I've never ever heard of inter-species relationship in SW universe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.