News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Speculation:

[spoiler]Was it confirmed by Disney that Temuera Morrison would play Boba Fett in the Mandalorian? Because conceivably he could also play Rex from Clone Wars and Rebels. He was old in Rebels due to the Clones' rapid aging, but he's confirmed to have been at the Endor battle in ROTJ, and Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY, so 9 years after Rebels ended, and 5 years after ROTJ, so not completely outlandish.

Morrison looks old and scarred in the coda of the episode - though this could of course be due to him falling into the sarlacc (Boba Fett would be about Mando's age, maybe a little older). He's bald, like Rex was, however, he lacks Rex's characteristic beard (and even eyebrows). Also, Rex would probably favor dual pistols over a rifle and a gaffi stick.

Just having some fun speculating, but I think it would make for an interesting bait and switch, and it would be interesting to see how Mando deals with someone who's Mandalorian by heritage, saw them during the Clone Wars, or may shed some light on the Purge. We know Ahsoka will be in the season, and I could see her working together with Rex, tracking down the baby.

If it's Boba Fett, then there's a few questions - why has he been stuck on Tatooine for so long? Did he never try to reclaim his armor? He has a gaffi stick and a blaster rifle, presumably from Sandpeople, so it looks like he would be a capable fighter, still, and he would know how to best take out the marshal.

It just seems odd.

And there's the question of what his arc would be. Would he become a "good" Mandalorian? For all we know he was never really connected to them and did his own thing. If he survived the sarlacc (possibly the sarlacc that got eaten by the Krayt?), how injured/disabled is he?[/spoiler]

I guess we'll find out over the next few episodes. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Ooh, forgot to mention - [spoiler]the R5 unit from Ep. IV has a cameo. :lol:[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I fucking love this show. The episode was great. I was hesitant when they started doing it on seasin 1, but I'm glad that they go for the "monster of the week" thing when it's no longer in vogue to do so, and they do such a good job of it. [spoiler]Not so sure about the reveal though, I wish they kept Boba apart from this.[/spoiler]

The KOTOR reference/plagiarism was amazing too.  :lol:

FunkMonk

Damn I love me some Star Wars westerns. :alberta:

Also, I didn't realize that [spoiler]Timothy Olyphant was going to be in the show so when I realized it was him it put a huge smile on my face. BULLOCK DEADWOOD if Ian McShane ever shows up in this show fucking lol [/spoiler]
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

That was awesome. 

Damn the universe for making me choose between new Mandalorian, and new ST: Disco, on the same night.  By virtue of my kids Mando won.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on October 30, 2020, 05:27:05 AM
Speculation:

[spoiler]Was it confirmed by Disney that Temuera Morrison would play Boba Fett in the Mandalorian? Because conceivably he could also play Rex from Clone Wars and Rebels. He was old in Rebels due to the Clones' rapid aging, but he's confirmed to have been at the Endor battle in ROTJ, and Mandalorian is set in 9 ABY, so 9 years after Rebels ended, and 5 years after ROTJ, so not completely outlandish.
[/spoiler]
Not officially, no, but IMDB has the answer you are searching for.

Here's what I think about your last part:
[spoiler]
He was defeated, the Empire he helped was also defeated, Jabba the Hutt sleeps with the fishes, so he's decided to retire because he feels dishonored, hence the haggard look.
[/spoiler]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Good point. :) I look forward to next week and hope we learn a bit more.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Overall liked the first episode, however:

1. It did not advance the plot at all. That seems odd. Like literally at the end of the show, he knew no more about his quest then he did when it started - the entire thing was a complete sideshow.

2. Tatooine? Really? Again? You would think the fucking SW universe has about 6 planets in the entire thing, and Tatooine is 4 of them.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Zoupa

It's not the kind of show where the plot matters too much. Just enjoy the ride.

Solmyr

The majority of first season's episodes did not advance the main plot any more than this one. This show is like the SWTOR MMO, you go to a planet with some kind of main story, then get distracted by a ton of side quests. :D

Syt

I would argue that a lot of season 1 showed us a change in character for Mando, him slowly leaving his old life behind.

And I'd argue this episode was set up - Boba Fett's armor coming into play, Cobb Vanth - in case we do a gathering of allies like at the end of season 1 - and showing that this quest might be a slow one, because there might be occasional dead ends.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

I agree with Berkut in that the episode didn't feel like an "episode 1", but there wasn't really much to setup that we didn't know at the end of last season: he's got to get Baby Yoda home, doesn't know where it is, and Gus Fring is hot on his heels.

But I really like how the show has been able to bring back the "monster of the week" formula in an age where it was considered passé for headline shows.

Tamas

I mean, there's no way he is going to actually find Baby Yoda's people, when that happens the series will end so the writers are not going to do it. So I don't mind the sidetracking.

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on November 02, 2020, 07:19:33 AM
I mean, there's no way he is going to actually find Baby Yoda's people, when that happens the series will end so the writers are not going to do it. So I don't mind the sidetracking.

Good writing is when you hide the actual realities of your story constraints from the viewer and make it look less like the story is on rails from the start. The viewer should be allowed to believe that they *might* find BY's mom tomorrow!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I'm pretty certain that the whole arc about returning BY to his people will be solved by the end of the season (doesn't mean he will successfully return him, though). The show doesn't feel like one of those where they stretch the same premise over multiple seasons.