News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

It appears Temuera Morrison has been signed on as Boba Fett for Mando.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2020, 02:54:12 PM
Quote from: The Larch on May 09, 2020, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on May 09, 2020, 11:30:19 AMI have no idea if Disney picked her because she's a fan, because she's good looking, or simply because she's black.

How about "because she's a good actress with name recognition that will help the show"?
It's certainly possible.  Hard to know given the current mood of absolutely casting people of colour because they are people of colour.

Don't be such an idiot.

Grey Fox

One more step into having Ezra return.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 09, 2020, 12:26:24 PM
Quote from: Syt on May 09, 2020, 11:45:12 AM
I think Rosario Dawson could be a good fit, though. Considering that Ahsoka has orange skin, the skin color of the actress doesn't matter much, either way.

It apparently does for the racist edgelords who now pollute those fandoms.

I wonder how old they are considering they get upset over a cartoon for kids.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 09, 2020, 05:40:08 PM
One more step into having Ezra return.
It would be great to finally make a movie on Thrawn, and include him in the lot :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Tamas on May 11, 2020, 01:32:15 AM
I wonder how old they are considering they get upset over a cartoon for kids.

I often wonder that too.

But then, I think of all these 20-30 somethings who are fully emotionally invested in which Hogwarts house they belong. Or the arguments I hear between 40 somethings in my local comic bookstore. I wonder if the current "mainstreamed" nerd culture has taken the place of music as crucial marker of teenage identity. I also suspect that this teenage nerd culture is almost entirely predicated on typically teenage power fantasies that resonate perhaps louder, and longer, in a world that feels disempowered.

And this nerd culture, like so many other areas, has also become proxies for other political oppositions that go well beyond "Kirk or Picard". The celebration of "badassery" has attracted all sorts of fascist fanboys who jerk off to the Empire; those nostalgic of a golden age of comics as all-male soft erotica cling to their male power fantasies and women in tight spandex. Those who can't ever see themselves empathize (or imagine themselves as) a black hero get angry when black heroes get introduced.

I am sure there are kids who enjoy playing loudmouths and edgelords in those debates. But I think there are mostly emulating older guys.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

Katee Sackhoff, aka Starbuck from BSG, will reprise her role of Mandalorian leader and badass Bo-Katan Kryze in Mandalorian season 2 :w00t:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-season-2-bo-katan/

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

I finally watched Solo. It is decent. I think I would have preferred it a lot more if it weren't Han, Chewie, and Lando but just some random Star Wars background people a la Rogue One. Also, the beginning of the movie is very, very dark on screen to the detriment of what is happening. It all kind of blends into a murky haze. Unsure if this was intentional or not. Also, I'm finally coming around to liking The Last Jedi, I think. My opinion change started with the mess that is Rise of Skywalker. I'll watch the new trilogy again some time to see if the mindset sticks. Finally, I located very nearly the complete run of Ewoks the cartoon series on Youtube, so I've been making my way though that. Fun times and it seems a lot of episodes were written by Paul Dini of Batman: The Animated Series fame.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

If you're going back to Ewoks, you should probably also dig out Droids again. ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sophie Scholl

I was never a fan of R2 and 3PO. Especially 3PO. I despise the character. Some droids are pretty awesome, but not them. I've always loved Ewoks though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 11, 2020, 12:59:20 PM
those nostalgic of a golden age of comics as all-male soft erotica cling to their male power fantasies and women in tight spandex.
tbh, it's not like the male super heroes are wearing business suites either.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on May 12, 2020, 11:18:14 AM
Katee Sackhoff, aka Starbuck from BSG, will reprise her role of Mandalorian leader and badass Bo-Katan Kryze in Mandalorian season 2 :w00t:

https://www.slashfilm.com/the-mandalorian-season-2-bo-katan/

Hottie
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Mom got Disney+ and binged Mandalorian this weekend  :D

It's a short show, but she's never watched a show so quickly, ever.