News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

yeah, I agree with most of what he says. I think it can be summed up thusly: The Star Wars sequels have mostly been paint by numbers movies. Here's the template, now fill it up.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on May 03, 2020, 07:59:22 AM
yeah, I agree with most of what he says. I think it can be summed up thusly: The Star Wars sequels have mostly been paint by numbers movies. Here's the template, now fill it up.

Thanks, Jos, that probably explains why I've not seen more than one or two of the films subsequent to the original three.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on May 03, 2020, 07:15:05 AM
The reason the new Star Wars movies suck is The Empire Strikes Back

I disagree. They already made a big deal about Luke's father in the first movie.

Making Leia Luke's sister was pretty stupid though. But the obsession over who was descended from who is not why these movies suck, that is a tiny side issue. I mean it doesn't help having something that stupid repeated over and over again but generally the reason they suck is because they all just fail basic story telling. You can tell a good story based on obsessing over family trees.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on May 01, 2020, 12:41:37 PM
JJ Abrams is a hack and I'm not sure why anyone expected him to do anything but hack work. His SW movies are exemplary of his usual MO: all flash and action, devoid of substance or character.
I liked Alias.  The first few seasons at least.  By the end, it became weird, but still, I liked it at first.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2020, 01:17:54 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on May 01, 2020, 11:24:29 AM
I prefer the Old Republic timeline, anyway. More variety, and since it's no longer canon, it's not being screwed up by Disney. :D

I do love those two video games.
3.  There is one MMORPG ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Taika Waititi to direct and co-write a new theatrical Star Wars movie.

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

I am: cautious optimistic.  Waititi was involved in The Mandalorian (voiced IG-11, directed season 1 finale), Jo Jo Rabbit was well received (still need to see it) and of course Thor: Ragnarok was great.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

So, after rumors emerged a few months ago, it's confirmed that Waititi will direct a Star Wars film. Interesting choice. I mean, a completely different style to classical Star Wars, but after the blandness of the new trilogy I look forward something with a bit more creativeness behind it.

EDIT: Barrister'd by a minute!  :lol:

Syt

Watched the final season of Clone Wars yesterday and today. Damn, they upped the animation and fidelity some more. Also, more stuff going on in the background; e.g. ships now feel crowded etc.

Three arcs, 4 episodes each:

First arc: fun action romp. Kind of like Republic Commandos, if the Commandos were action movie clichés - the sniper, the tech guy, the big brawny guy who likes explosions, and the boss/scout. 7.5/10

Second arc: Ahsoka meets two young ladies trying to get rich, and they have some adventures with criminals. 6.5/10

Third arc: Ahsoka and Bo-Katan Kryze travel to Mandalore to liberate it/capture Darth Maul. Actually, it's less 4 episodes and more a movie cut into parts. The story runs parallel to the events in Episode III. Fantastic story, and a good way to close out the series. Wouldn't recommend to someone who hasn't watched the show, because a lot of the impact comes from knowing the characters and their backstories. 9.5/10
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2020, 12:57:39 PM
Taika Waititi to direct and co-write a new theatrical Star Wars movie.

https://www.starwars.com/news/taika-waititi-announce

I am: cautious optimistic.  Waititi was involved in The Mandalorian (voiced IG-11, directed season 1 finale), Jo Jo Rabbit was well received (still need to see it) and of course Thor: Ragnarok was great.

I hope it's a film about the two scout troopers at the start of the final Mandalorian episode. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

In how many projects is Waititi involved at the moment? He is doing stuff for Marvel (directing the new Thor movie), DC (acting in the new Suicide Squad), his own projects (reading now about him I just discovered that he's directing a comedy about Michael Fassbender being the coach of the American Samoa football team  :lol: ), now this Star Wars stuff... I'm getting some post-GOT Benioff & Weiss vibes from him at the moment, putting his fingers in every pie there is.

Sheilbh

I'm glad, I think he's very good.

Though I am incredibly annoyed when people who are mainly behind the camera are also handsome <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Quote from: The Larch on May 04, 2020, 01:29:18 PM
In how many projects is Waititi involved at the moment? He is doing stuff for Marvel (directing the new Thor movie), DC (acting in the new Suicide Squad), his own projects (reading now about him I just discovered that he's directing a comedy about Michael Fassbender being the coach of the American Samoa football team  :lol: ), now this Star Wars stuff... I'm getting some post-GOT Benioff & Weiss vibes from him at the moment, putting his fingers in every pie there is.

Yeah, except unlike those assholes, he's actually followed through on his myriad projects. Also, the schedule isn't that bogged down. He has his projects, sure, but the spacing on them (his SW film likely due for 2023 release) seems fairly normal. Katmai could probably comment further.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Yeah.  Waititi has the football movie coming out this year, has Thor: Love and Thunder in 2022, and presumably will slot in untitled Star Wars feature in 2023-2024.  Sounds doable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch