News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 30, 2020, 08:01:56 PM
The whole "It's Disney's fault" creed has become a nasty political mantra online. 
Really?  I have yet to come accross that.  You sure find the good ones.  I have someone like that on my Facebook, everywhere there's Quebec bashing, he's there to see it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

It not hard to find. Pick any random youtube video discussing Star Wars. There are always tons of variations on "Disney ruined Star Wars with SJW/PC culture!!!".
Que le grand cric me croque !

Syt

I don't get the hate for and anger at the movies. I can understand that people might be disappointed that they don't get what they hope for, but the vitriol and fury often seen is ridiculous. It's a bunch of movies, FFS.  :rolleyes:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Episode 8 was mostly excellent and took the story into a new direction. Episode 9 should have followed through instead of rolling everything back.

The Larch

Quote from: Solmyr on May 01, 2020, 02:33:49 AM
Episode 8 was mostly excellent and took the story into a new direction. Episode 9 should have followed through instead of rolling everything back.

I tend to agree on this take of the new trilogy, going back to Abrams for Ep 9 was a mistake.

Barrister

:yes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fromtia

Quote from: Syt on May 01, 2020, 01:45:00 AM
I don't get the hate for and anger at the movies. I can understand that people might be disappointed that they don't get what they hope for, but the vitriol and fury often seen is ridiculous. It's a bunch of movies, FFS.  :rolleyes:

Feel my boundless rage. grrrr. grrrrr.   :mad:
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

fromtia

Quote from: Oexmelin on May 01, 2020, 01:43:17 AM
It not hard to find. Pick any random youtube video discussing Star Wars. There are always tons of variations on "Disney ruined Star Wars with SJW/PC culture!!!".

Oh I agree absolutely. Right wing trolls suddenly becoming experts on writerly tropes and banging on endlessly about Rey being a "Mary Sue" and so on, just furious that there's a female lead or that the rebel fighters in Rogue One weren't sufficiently white. Absolutely bonkers. Still, the writing is terrible. I take it with a pinch of salt of course, because it's not as if the original trilogy was a screenwriting masterpiece.

Valmy

I thought it was a nonsensical mess. But I guess in Episode 8 they did something that somebody liked, even if it wasn't me. They probably should have stuck with that.

But hey how about if you are going to write a trilogy of films you have them planned out beforehand with character arcs and themes and plots instead of trying to do something radically different with each film?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

At any rate, I need to catch up on the final season of Clone Wars. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: fromtia on May 01, 2020, 11:00:08 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on May 01, 2020, 01:43:17 AM

Oh I agree absolutely. Right wing trolls suddenly becoming experts on writerly tropes and banging on endlessly about Rey being a "Mary Sue" and so on, just furious that there's a female lead or that the rebel fighters in Rogue One weren't sufficiently white. Absolutely bonkers. Still, the writing is terrible. I take it with a pinch of salt of course, because it's not as if the original trilogy was a screenwriting masterpiece.

Well I would disagree only in the sense that in the original trilogy (Well the first two movies) were laser focused on the story they were telling and what the themes were and how the characters were going to develop and there was little wasted time and everything was followed through on. I mean I guess that just means they were competently constructed. That is far more than I can say for any of the other movies. 

So were they screenwriting masterpieces? I mean probably not but you could probably teach a class on competent screenwriting using them as positive examples.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

fromtia

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2020, 11:07:14 AM

Well I would disagree only in the sense that in the original trilogy (Well the first two movies) were laser focused on the story they were telling and what the themes were and how the characters were going to develop and there was little wasted time and everything was followed through on. I mean I guess that just means they were competently constructed. That is far more than I can say for any of the other movies. 

So were they screenwriting masterpieces? I mean probably not but you could probably teach a class on competent screenwriting using them as positive examples.

I agree completely. Compared to 7,8 and 9 they shine in this department.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on May 01, 2020, 11:02:52 AM
But hey how about if you are going to write a trilogy of films you have them planned out beforehand with character arcs and themes and plots instead of trying to do something radically different with each film?

It baffles me why they wouldn't do this.  You know you're going to make 3 movies - why not plot out the story you want to tell right from the beginning?

But then again - JJ Abrams is the fellow who brought us Lost, which did the exact same thing... :frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Solmyr

I watched a recap of the leaked original Colin Trevorrow's script of Episode 9. It made a bit more sense, if only a bit. :D

FunkMonk

Lucas was the guy who had singular control over the original movies, even if he didn't direct all of them.

The sequels had a room full of suits gathered around a table trying to please Bob Iger.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.