News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

They must have read our thread

Hamilcar

Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on January 23, 2020, 07:20:44 AM
I don't see it as a loss. I can't unsee the sequel movies, and they ruin the fundamental mythology of the universe. So, even if they create superb content, I'm no longer interested.

I don't get this.  What is "the fundamental mythology of the universe"?

Two fundamental ideas that the sequels and ep 9 especially, completely ignored:

1. Saving people from death is a legendary dark side ability. Palpatine uses it as a bait to convert Anakin, leading to the downfall of the Jedi. I always thought that Palpatine was lying to Anakin, and that no such ability exists. But if it does, it's open only to the dark side. Yet Rey just uses it, without training, and without any negative consequences.

2. The Star Wars saga was all about Anakin bringing balance to the force. Yet he was entirely missing from the sequels. It's a bit like doing a Christian movie and just ignoring Jesus.

viper37

Quote from: Hamilcar on January 25, 2020, 02:04:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 23, 2020, 10:47:21 AM
Quote from: Hamilcar on January 23, 2020, 07:20:44 AM
I don't see it as a loss. I can't unsee the sequel movies, and they ruin the fundamental mythology of the universe. So, even if they create superb content, I'm no longer interested.

I don't get this.  What is "the fundamental mythology of the universe"?

Two fundamental ideas that the sequels and ep 9 especially, completely ignored:

1. Saving people from death is a legendary dark side ability. Palpatine uses it as a bait to convert Anakin, leading to the downfall of the Jedi. I always thought that Palpatine was lying to Anakin, and that no such ability exists. But if it does, it's open only to the dark side. Yet Rey just uses it, without training, and without any negative consequences.
It is not a legendary dark side ability.  Palpatine says his former master researched this.
There is no ability restricted to the dark side or the light side, it's mostly about the "fuel" you're using.  Use anger = dark side.  Be at peace = light side.  Generally speaking, choking someone is not done while you're at peace ;)  hence, it's associated to the dark side.

Since darksiders don't care much about others, healing powers are generally associated to the light side.

2. The Star Wars saga was all about Anakin bringing balance to the force. Yet he was entirely missing from the sequels. It's a bit like doing a Christian movie and just ignoring Jesus.
He did it, twice over.  Or just once, depends on how you see things.
He destroyed the Jedi when they were too powerful, too arrogant, too blind to the obvious.
He destroyed the Sith when they were too powerful, too arrogant, too blind to the obvious.

His job is done.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

That's the thing though. He didn't destroy the Sith, since "The dead speak!" and "Somehow, Palpatine survived".

:bleeding: x 1000

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 25, 2020, 11:09:34 AM
They must have read our thread
could happen! ;)

We laugh, but I was one day surprised to see some of my more detailed political positions make it to the provincial Liberal campaign... Turns out a future Liberal minister was visiting our political forum "undercover" to take notes :)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Disagree

You are not being unreasonable

Razgovory

Finally saw the movie (rented on Amazon prime), it wasn't bad but I did get a little bored or tired toward the end.  Really should have avoided adding in new characters in the middle of the last movie.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

I'm really enjoying this last season of The Clone Wars :)

[spoiler]
The lightsabe duel between Ashoka and Darth Maul was amazing[/spoiler]

I feel like a little kid who's seeing Star Wars for the first time everytime I watch that. :)

Finaly episodes this Friday and Monday May the 4th be with you.

[spoiler]
Next week will deal with Order 66[/spoiler]

fromtia

I really enjoyed Rogue One, what a marvelous homage! Parts 6,7 and 8 were absolute dogshit though, with atrocious writing. Sorry, I'll leave now.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: fromtia on April 29, 2020, 03:50:47 PM
I really enjoyed Rogue One, what a marvelous homage! Parts 6,7 and 8 were absolute dogshit though, with atrocious writing. Sorry, I'll leave now.
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault Disney did a worst job than Lucas did with the prequels :P
But that's 7,8  and 9.

Rewatching Episode I.  Damn it's bad.  But still better than Episode 8 and 9.

Oexmelin

The whole "It's Disney's fault" creed has become a nasty political mantra online. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Damn is not liking Disney now a political stance? I miss being able to dislike Disney and Donald Trump apolitically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."