News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2020, 03:49:40 PM

I love that in this day and age it's possible to effortlessly stream so many modern movies.

I hate that in this modern day and age there is no way I can think of to watch The Hidden Fortress, which I have never seen.  In fact I think the only Kurosawa movie I've ever seen was Ran (which was very good, and obviously inspired a scene in TLJ, to come full circle).

Check out the Criterion Channel.  They used to stream on Hulu, now it's a separate service.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Finally saw the Rise of Skywalker.

Such lazy storytelling.

A current problem of blockbusters now is the constant need to lazily overexplain, including overexplain "overwhelming odds". The baddies do not merely have a larger army, they have 10s of thousands of planet destroying ships. And then have a good guy actually say out loud "they have 10s of thousands of planet destroying ships". And then show a planet being destroyed by said ship. And then having a good guy say that a planet has been destroyed by only one of these ships... Ugh.

Favorite use of nostalgia is Kylo Ren threatening a subordinate with the trademarked Harrison Ford's "silencing finger".
Que le grand cric me croque !

Habbaku

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 11, 2020, 07:23:54 PM
A current problem of blockbusters now is the constant need to lazily overexplain

You may enjoy: https://youtu.be/0oQtGCtnF2Y
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 11, 2020, 07:23:54 PM
Finally saw the Rise of Skywalker.

Such lazy storytelling.

A current problem of blockbusters now is the constant need to lazily overexplain, including overexplain "overwhelming odds". The baddies do not merely have a larger army, they have 10s of thousands of planet destroying ships. And then have a good guy actually say out loud "they have 10s of thousands of planet destroying ships". And then show a planet being destroyed by said ship. And then having a good guy say that a planet has been destroyed by only one of these ships... Ugh.

Favorite use of nostalgia is Kylo Ren threatening a subordinate with the trademarked Harrison Ford's "silencing finger".

I actually remmeber thinking "Why not a million of them?" I mean, if you are going to build 25,000 star destroyers armed with a planet killing weapon EACH, why not just make it a million? Or a billion?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Threviel

As everyone int he family but me has the flu we started a subscription to HBO. I got my 5 year old boy to start watching one of those star wars cartoons, he seems to like it. It seems somewhat similar in tone to Thunderbirds which he normally watches and enjoys. Since he is into space he got a lot of Star Wars stuff for Christmas, which he didn't care about at all, so this might kindle an interest.

MadImmortalMan

Disney put the guy who made the alternate Star Trek junk in charge of this. Who thought it would be good?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 14, 2020, 05:45:08 AM
Disney put the guy who made the alternate Star Trek junk in charge of this. Who thought it would be good?

Hard to argue with that.

Syt

Sam Witwer (Darth Maul voice actor) breaks down the scene between Maul and Obi-Wan in Rebels (spoilers, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkFj6iepMs

Such a nerd. :wub: :nerd:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

So the boys have been on a Star Wars kick after watching Episode 9 in the theatre.  We went back and started watching from Episode 1-onward.  We finished Episode 4 last night.

I wanted to go back to the prequels to see if I had a new appreciation for them - given that my complaint about the new movies is no coherent storyline, and that is indeed the one thing the prequels have going for them.

But no - the writing is still bad.  The dialogue is still awful.  Jar Jar Binks is still terrible and racist.  The 0 year old CGI is showing its age (the practical effects of ANH mostly still hold up though - although the Special Edition insertions are terrible).

There's some satisfaction from seeing the story all pull together, but I think I prefer the newer movies even with their flaws.  The new movies have some just beautifully shot scenes, with nothing to really compare from the prequels.  And Kylo Ren is still perhaps the most compelling character in any of the movies.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Yeah, a Spanish channel always runs a Star Wars marathon whenever a saga film comes out and I accidentally caught a glimpse of Phantom Menace. Jar Jar is even more annoying than I remembered. Lucas also inserts him and his lame humor even in dramatic scenes, completely throwing off the tone. The newer films are plagued by many issues, but they aren't the catastrophic cinematic failure that are the prequels.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on January 15, 2020, 11:10:10 AM
Sam Witwer (Darth Maul voice actor) breaks down the scene between Maul and Obi-Wan in Rebels (spoilers, obviously):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrkFj6iepMs

Such a nerd. :wub: :nerd:
I remember seeing that scene, expecting one epic duel... and in less than 10 seconds, Maul is done!  What a pleasant surprise :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on January 16, 2020, 02:52:30 AM
Yeah, a Spanish channel always runs a Star Wars marathon whenever a saga film comes out and I accidentally caught a glimpse of Phantom Menace. Jar Jar is even more annoying than I remembered. Lucas also inserts him and his lame humor even in dramatic scenes, completely throwing off the tone. The newer films are plagued by many issues, but they aren't the catastrophic cinematic failure that are the prequels.
Funny.  I was rewatching Episode VIII and thought to myself that 1-2-3 are masterpieces compared to 8 and 9 :P

Savonarola

Quote from: Barrister on January 15, 2020, 01:15:31 PM
So the boys have been on a Star Wars kick after watching Episode 9 in the theatre.  We went back and started watching from Episode 1-onward.  We finished Episode 4 last night.

I wanted to go back to the prequels to see if I had a new appreciation for them - given that my complaint about the new movies is no coherent storyline, and that is indeed the one thing the prequels have going for them.

But no - the writing is still bad.  The dialogue is still awful.  Jar Jar Binks is still terrible and racist.  The 0 year old CGI is showing its age (the practical effects of ANH mostly still hold up though - although the Special Edition insertions are terrible).

I read an article in the AV Club which pointed out CGI made it possible for George Lucas to put up his vision on the screen: which turned out to be an ugly and over-saturated mess.  The limitations of practical effects forced him to make a better movie.

QuoteThere's some satisfaction from seeing the story all pull together, but I think I prefer the newer movies even with their flaws.  The new movies have some just beautifully shot scenes, with nothing to really compare from the prequels.  And Kylo Ren is still perhaps the most compelling character in any of the movies.

Kylo Ren was one of the better anti-heroes in recent memory; it's a shame he got stuck in such dumb movies.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock