News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Anyway, no more new Star Wars until 2021 IIRC? The Kenobi and Andor shows won't start shooting until summer this year.

Whenever I watch Rogue One, "I want to see more of Cassian Andor" is not what comes up in my mind, but given that Mandalorian (as Rogue One itself) was great I'm kinda itching for it.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2020, 06:24:20 AM
Anyway, no more new Star Wars until 2021 IIRC? The Kenobi and Andor shows won't start shooting until summer this year.

Whenever I watch Rogue One, "I want to see more of Cassian Andor" is not what comes up in my mind, but given that Mandalorian (as Rogue One itself) was great I'm kinda itching for it.

Season 2 of The Mandalorian is currently being shot and IIRC will hit screens by the end of the year, so I guess that'll be the official SW fix for 2020.

The future trilogy to be helmed by Rian Johnson is slated to begin in 2022, AFAIK.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on January 07, 2020, 06:41:23 AM

Season 2 of The Mandalorian is currently being shot and IIRC will hit screens by the end of the year, so I guess that'll be the official SW fix for 2020.

The future trilogy to be helmed by Rian Johnson is slated to begin in 2022, AFAIK.

Is that trilogy still happening? It was never cancelled but I doubt it's being worked on anymore.

Didn't know that Mandalorian S2 was happening this year. That's awesome.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on January 07, 2020, 07:07:42 AM
Quote from: The Larch on January 07, 2020, 06:41:23 AM

Is that trilogy still happening? It was never cancelled but I doubt it's being worked on anymore.

I believe they reiterated recently that the Rian Johnson trilogy is still going ahead. It is rumoured that it's meant to be set during the Old Republic.

QuoteDidn't know that Mandalorian S2 was happening this year. That's awesome.

Apparently they have been filming since november already, so I guess that it was the plan all along, and didn't wait for the reaction to season one before ordering a second.

Syt

Isn't the new Clone Wars season also coming this year?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on January 07, 2020, 09:01:41 AM
Isn't the new Clone Wars season also coming this year?

February 17 apparently.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Paradoxical as it may seem, I am actually really looking forward to the next major Star Wars film. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be quite good since it will no longer be creaking under the weight of expectations or previous lore.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on January 07, 2020, 10:35:46 AM
Paradoxical as it may seem, I am actually really looking forward to the next major Star Wars film. I'm cautiously optimistic that it will be quite good since it will no longer be creaking under the weight of expectations or previous lore.

I mean I thought that about The Force Awakens. I think all their films are creaking under the fact that they don't really have an artistic vision or story to tell.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 06, 2020, 10:49:34 PM
I kind of think this film isn't as good as a film.

No dispute there.

QuoteI can sort of see the point that they needed some enemy from the past and then there's an adventure where you run to get the thing and then go off to do something etc - and on a level it's fine. My issue is I think there's another franchise that's doing that type of film better - and I think other films in this franchise have done it better.

MCU had a LOT more space and time to work with - a dozen or so films spaced our over 15 years where each major character got a full background.  The 7-9 trilogy suffered from the rush to monetize.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The main lesson learned from Star Wars is this - if you are going to fight in a climactic battle to save the universe from tyranny, do not climb into your X-wing fighter with facial hair.
Every pilot should be issued a razor.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 07, 2020, 11:01:11 AM
The main lesson learned from Star Wars is this - if you are going to fight in a climactic battle to save the universe from tyranny, do not climb into your X-wing fighter with facial hair.
Every pilot should be issued a razor.

:D  Fat boys don't do too well either, do they?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2020, 11:07:12 AM
:D  Fat boys don't do too well either, do they?

Messes up the drag coefficient. 
--Joan Robinson

Syt

At least Temmin "Snap" Wexley had a singing, dancing murder droid when he was a teen:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Mister_Bones

:wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

OK, so here is what I don't get.

WHO is in charge of creating the actual story? I mean, JJ Abrams is a director. He is good at directing (at least theoretically). There is no reason to suppose he has the kind of imagination necessary to craft a good story.

I don't see why they would not go out, for something like this, and hire someone proven to be good at crafting great stories (or several someones for that matter), pay them a bunch of money, and say "Give me a three movie arc about the next generation of the SW story". Hell, have ten people do it for half a million each, and pick the best one.

We saw from GOT that just because people are good at turning a great story into great cinema, does not by any means mean that they are any good at coming up with the story to begin with.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned