News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on December 28, 2019, 04:14:01 PM
Yeah, was disappointed by the lack of Hux and Rose.

It feels overall like two movies. There's the hectic action roller coaster in the first half till they get to Endor. Then there's the second half which is better paced and gives the characters some more room. There's some good ideas in there, but the execution is lacking. They should have cut a planet or two at the start IMHO, or the detour to the Star Destroyer, and have some quieter moments in between.

That said, I really liked the design of Exegol (except the "submerged" fleet - WTF?), and would like to learn more about the place.

The scavenger hunt in the first part of the movie is dumb and pointless. I mean, they have to [spoiler]find a map to another map...[/spoiler]

Anyway, the main issue is that there hasn't been a solid plan for this trilogy, so they have been switching gears in the past two movies, and it shows by how much they try to cram into this one, and how forced it all feels.

katmai

It fucking sucked brain ass.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

11B4V

So basically it was an assburger shitshow....?

They should have pegged Seedy's favorite sci-fi guy.....Vin Diesel for this trilogy.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Berkut

1. It is amazing to see how thoroughly you can screw up a cannot miss setup in cinema. It would not have been hard at all to play it safe, fill in the plot points in the frame of a story already pretty much laid out, and deliver a solid B+ that maybe would not be amazing, but would certainly not actually be *bad*. And it's not like it being actually bad (both this arc and the 1-3 arc) is the result of them rejecting the play it safe approach and going for something truly amazing. No, they fucked it up while not even trying to do anything at all exceptional.

2. What is more amazing is that even as bad as it is, it is still financially a complete success, I imagine. That is just kind of depressing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DontSayBanana

Yeah, was disappointed by the lack of Hux and Rose.

It feels overall like two movies. There's the hectic action roller coaster in the first half till they get to Endor. Then there's the second half which is better paced and gives the characters some more room. There's some good ideas in there, but the execution is lacking. They should have cut a planet or two at the start IMHO, or the detour to the Star Destroyer, and have some quieter moments in between.

That said, I really liked the design of Exegol (except the "submerged" fleet - WTF?), and would like to learn more about the place.

I actually dug the buried fleet- I saw it as a nice nod to the Lusankya from the Rogue Squadron books in the '90s. Especially with a "bookend" at the other end of the movie when [spoiler]Wedge is manning one of the Falcon's quad laser turrets during the battle at Exegol[/spoiler]. Those books being almost as integral to keeping Star Wars alive before the '97 re-releases started, I enjoy spotting the rare subtle nods to the series.
Experience bij!

Sheilbh

And on the fleet...[spoiler]after the Last Jedi is brave enough to have a Star Wars film where zero plot points (from memory) turn on some form of planet killer we get an entire fleet of them :lol: :bleeding:[/spoiler]
Let's bomb Russia!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2019, 10:54:42 PM
And on the fleet...[spoiler]after the Last Jedi is brave enough to have a Star Wars film where zero plot points (from memory) turn on some form of planet killer we get an entire fleet of them :lol: :bleeding:[/spoiler]

I mean, that [spoiler]would have been a lot "braver" if it hadn't still been an existential threat to the Resistance. It was just that instead of risking a planet being destroyed, they were risking the last ship with a significant number of Resistance fighters. Same threat, different venue[/spoiler].
Experience bij!

11B4V

To me, The Mandalorian, is narrower more focused. IMO has way more depth. I'll throw Rogue One in there too.

I just don't give a shit about the characters or story in I-III & VII-IX. Seems like they tried to capture the epicness of IV-VI through retreaded story trajectories and special effects.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Solmyr

About that planet in Rise of Skywalker, [spoiler]I've read a theory that Exegol might actually be Zakuul from SWTOR, or at least heavily calls back to it. It's a hidden planet in the Unknown Regions, the Force is very strongly present here, it is the residence of the Sith Emperor and the HQ of a massive fleet much like the Eternal Fleet. Even the names sound somewhat similar.[/spoiler]

Tamas

I have seen the movie. It is shit. Better than Episode 8 but still shit.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2019, 02:35:05 PM
Also I'm adding Hux and Rose to my criminally under-used list, along with Richard E Grant's character.

Haven't watched the film, but the lack of Rose is disappointing.  There was a bunch of psycho-fans that were livid about the introduction of the character.  Like sending death threats and engaging in harassment of the actress type of livid.  Apparently this is in part political as these lunatics keep going on about "Social Justice Warriors" and "Political Correctness".  My guess is that cutting Rose had to do with these fuckwits.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on December 29, 2019, 02:35:49 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 28, 2019, 02:35:05 PM
Also I'm adding Hux and Rose to my criminally under-used list, along with Richard E Grant's character.

Haven't watched the film, but the lack of Rose is disappointing.  There was a bunch of psycho-fans that were livid about the introduction of the character.  Like sending death threats and engaging in harassment of the actress type of livid.  Apparently this is in part political as these lunatics keep going on about "Social Justice Warriors" and "Political Correctness".  My guess is that cutting Rose had to do with these fuckwits.

Why do people care so much about star wars, it's just some run of the mill cowboys and Indians* yarns set in a space opera.

* goodies and baddies / white and black hats.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2019, 03:05:57 PM
Why do people care so much about star wars

Because it's fun! That some people are dicks has nothing to do with Star Wars.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Camerus

The first 20 minutes or so were dreadful - Star Wars for the ADHD generation.

The rest of the movie had some interesting moments here and there, but overall there was too much that came out of nowhere and too many characters I couldn't give a shit about. They were also way too many fake deaths. In fact, anything that was interesting was basically just relics from the original trilogy.

Overall, I'm not sure which trilogy is worse, the prequels or this one. In most respects 7-9 are superior, but it just seemed way too over the map, bloated and unfocused, and in that respect at least the prequels have the edge.

Tamas

Quote from: Camerus on December 29, 2019, 05:32:20 PM
The first 20 minutes or so were dreadful - Star Wars for the ADHD generation.

The rest of the movie had some interesting moments here and there, but overall there was too much that came out of nowhere and too many characters I couldn't give a shit about. They were also way too many fake deaths. In fact, anything that was interesting was basically just relics from the original trilogy.

Overall, I'm not sure which trilogy is worse, the prequels or this one. In most respects 7-9 are superior, but it just seemed way too over the map, bloated and unfocused, and in that respect at least the prequels have the edge.

I 100% agree