And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on December 31, 2020, 12:56:35 PM
On the topic of "people age weirdly in the Star Wars universe" :P

By the time people there hit their 60s they start looking like Jabba the Hutt.  So comparatively, they are quite well preserved.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on December 31, 2020, 01:01:33 PM
Another mark in favor of not turning Anakin into Vader until the kids were a little older. And not making Luke and Leia twins so that the line about Leia's young memories of her mother didn't turn out to be retconned into something impossible.
Nothing is impossible through the Force!

:P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on December 31, 2020, 01:01:33 PM
Another mark in favor of not turning Anakin into Vader until the kids were a little older. And not making Luke and Leia twins so that the line about Leia's young memories of her mother didn't turn out to be retconned into something impossible.

Leia's force-sensitive.  Her incredibly vague memories (IIRC she said "kind" and "sad") aren't impossible.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Yes they are. She was literally just-born when those memories would have been made. Where did the memory of kindness come from?

Why doesn't Luke have the same memories?

It's nonsense.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

It's a bunch of movies about magical space wizards and planet sized super stations. I can give them a pass on that. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

So we've been having a nightly Star Wars marathon over the Christmas holidays.

Let me tell you something that does irk me: the changing rules for lightspeed.

Remember in ANH it's established that 'flying through lightspeed isn't like dusting crops' and you need to make precise calculations.

Then in TFA Han twice does weird things with lightspeed - he frees the captured Millenium Falcon from inside the other ship by going  to lightspeed from inside that other ship.  Then he gets to Starkiller Base by using lightspeed to get through the shield.  Funny - they could have used those maneuvers several times in the earlier movies...

Then in the next movie - the Holdo maneuver.  It's beautifully shot, but it does directly contradict the movie right before it (that you can use lightspeed to fly through stuff).  Plus of course why couldn't they have used that maneuver in the past...

And then finally in TRoS - instead of making precise calculations suddenly Poe is doing some kind of skipping or jumping where he goes into lightspeed numerous times - seemingly unworried about running into anything.

Look - you can have a movie about space wizards and laser swords and still maintain suspension of disbelief - you just have to be consistent about your own internal rules.

celedhring

Yeah, the changing rules on lightspeed is bizarrely the only thing that profoundly irks me regarding Star Wars' universe consistency  :lol:

They also last hours or weeks depending on the dramatic needs of the writer. Also related: how they sometimes they can reach other systems without using lightspeed (like in ESB how they go from Hoth to Bespin). Such a trip would take years.

The Larch

Light speed has nothing on Ludicrous speed.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on January 01, 2021, 11:04:43 AM
Yeah, the changing rules on lightspeed is bizarrely the only thing that profoundly irks me regarding Star Wars' universe consistency  :lol:

They also last hours or weeks depending on the dramatic needs of the writer. Also related: how they sometimes they can reach other systems without using lightspeed (like in ESB how they go from Hoth to Bespin). Such a trip would take years.

At least they're consistent on that last point.  Mando had to take Frog Lady from one planet to another not using lightspeed - which took a long time.

So apparently they do have some kind of faster than light travel that isn't "lightspeed".

The Larch

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2021, 11:57:14 AMSo apparently they do have some kind of faster than light travel that isn't "lightspeed".

Syt

Well, there might be FTL travel outside of hyperspace, but it might be significantly slower than the "normal" way.

Also, hyperspace travel behaves as the plot requires it. Similar to how there's lots of inconsistencies in Star Trek on how shields, holodecks etc. work.

Regarding the Holdo Maneuver, they lampshade it in TROS when Poe says that it was basically a fluke that it worked (1 in a million, I think he says).

There's some theories that hyperspace might be connected to the Force somehow, due to some events in Season 4 of Rebels: [spoiler]The Loth wolves guiding the rebels to the other side of the planet through hyperspace, and speculation that the World Between Worlds might also be connected to Hyperspace somehow.[/spoiler]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on January 01, 2021, 09:36:18 AM
Yes they are. She was literally just-born when those memories would have been made. Where did the memory of kindness come from?
In the EU, while Leia was pregnant with her twins, she was able to "communicate" with them through the Force, send them appeasing thoughts, sort of.

But it's been left intentionnally vague.

Also, in the EU, she did not have that kind of connection with her 3rd child.

Why doesn't Luke have the same memories?
Girls&moms share a special link.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on January 01, 2021, 10:54:49 AM
So we've been having a nightly Star Wars marathon over the Christmas holidays.

Let me tell you something that does irk me: the changing rules for lightspeed.

Remember in ANH it's established that 'flying through lightspeed isn't like dusting crops' and you need to make precise calculations.

Then in TFA Han twice does weird things with lightspeed - he frees the captured Millenium Falcon from inside the other ship by going  to lightspeed from inside that other ship.  Then he gets to Starkiller Base by using lightspeed to get through the shield.  Funny - they could have used those maneuvers several times in the earlier movies...

Then in the next movie - the Holdo maneuver.  It's beautifully shot, but it does directly contradict the movie right before it (that you can use lightspeed to fly through stuff).  Plus of course why couldn't they have used that maneuver in the past...

And then finally in TRoS - instead of making precise calculations suddenly Poe is doing some kind of skipping or jumping where he goes into lightspeed numerous times - seemingly unworried about running into anything.

Look - you can have a movie about space wizards and laser swords and still maintain suspension of disbelief - you just have to be consistent about your own internal rules.
If you disregard movie #8, suddenly, everything we know about the Force and lightspeed becomes more "logical" ;)

The only thing that may makes sense in this movie is the Holdon maneuver, although she was a bit far from the other ship.

Short bursts of lightspeed are acceptable without precise caculations as the risks to hit a celestial body or another ship are minimal.

Previously, it seemed established that all ships travel at the same speed in lightspeed, the only difference being the mass of the ship and its engines power that would let it skirt closer to celestial bodies like blackholes, planets, etc.  Nav computers plot a course, with a chart, using available hyperlanes, and avoid known obstacles.  If an unknown obstacles is detected, the ship will revert to real/normal space, hence the interdictor cruisers that simulate the gravity well of a planet.  Also, cruising near a regular planet vs cruising near a gas giant means in the second case you got to get further away from it then in the first case.

In the past, you could not go to hyperspace with a ship right in front of you as it meant crashing in it.  SW 4,5,6 kinda demonstrates it with the Falcon trying to outrun the Imperial ships.  Rogue One made a perfect demonstration of what happens when a smaller ship enters lightspeed right before a bigger one appears in front of it.

Going through hyperspace while inside another ship should not have been possible.  Holdon's maneuver would only have been possible if there was an hyperspace lane on this particular vector (they are somewhat larger than a single ship, still, there is a limited # of lanes available by system).  "Unknown" territories have few hyperspace lanes, and some of them can be unreliable due to poor charting.

Now, come to think of it, better disregard movies 7,8 and 9 all together and concentrate on the Lucas ones + Clone Wars + Rebels + Mandalorians :P

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: viper37 on January 03, 2021, 09:08:51 PM
Now, come to think of it, better disregard movies 7,8 and 9 all together

stuff seems to be going on in the Star Wars / Filoniverse that could potentially result in that. But who knows. So many rumours that next thing you'll hear is that somehow Palpatine returned... again

celedhring

No way they are going to decanon those, but what I'm sure they will do for the time being is set all upcoming shows/movies in the era before 7-8-9. That way they can, in fact, ignore them.

It wouldn't surprise me though if Filoni used the new shows to give more backstory to the First Order and Snoke and the Emperor. Given that Clone Wars is in a way a more satisfying version of the prequels, I wouldn't be against that.