News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

katmai

I want my $13 back. This movie is bad.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

HVC

Quote from: katmai on December 24, 2019, 05:15:08 AM
should have watched cats instead :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Caliga

:hug:

My brother's review was tepid, which means it's horrible, since he is a Star Wars fanboi.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

the way the Force is somehow used now is really dumb.
The first hour of the movie is totally incoherent, no way to catch your breath.
Too much stuff that was done before.  Like fans are unable to appreciate new stuff.  We just want good stuff.  Mandalorian = new and good.  Not that hard.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Also, rewatched the beginning of the 2nd one.  That's so stupid...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tonitrus

I thought the latest film was pretty good.  :sleep:

Duque de Bragança

Tonitrus

I measured about 2-5 seconds worth of Ewoks.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on December 19, 2019, 04:37:24 AM
Regarding Rise of Skywalker. I think it's ok? It has great visuals, and the action sequences are good. But it just feels overly hectic, there's hardly any moment to catch your breath. Like a child making up a story on the fly: "And then ..., and then ..., and then ... , and then ...

And the plot ... I tend to not be overly critical of Star Wars plots, but I thought, overall, it was a letdown for me.
[...]

Say what you will about Last Jedi, but at least it tried to go in new directions, whereas TROS feels like "let's tick the boxes we have to" and get this over with. 

I don't think it's bad that you can tell they made the story up as they go and didn't have a grand masterplan for the overall story. Not necessarily bad, the original trilogy did the same. But while The Force Awakens retread a lot of familiar ground, it had - IMHO - heart and some passion in it, and asked some intriguing questions. Last Jedi pushed forward and tried to break the familiar mold, and succeeded in some ways, and failed in others. And Rise of Skywalker now returns to playing it safe, not challenging the familiar patterns.

Maybe it's emblematic, but I feel the best of Star Wars in the last years has been on the small screen, not the big one. Clone Wars and Rebels had some exceptional storytelling (and also low points, as all series do, especially in early seasons), and Mandalorian continues to convince. Looking forward to the season conclusion on that one.
Yeah totally agree. I liked Last Jedi but wasn't wildly overexcited about it and found the whole discourse around it a little exhausting. But now I'm really annoyed that they basically just undid lots of the stuff it was doing and the directions that could have gone for what felt like an overly nostalgic rush of things that have been done. There's a difference between working with your source and just imitating it. Also I went today - cinema full of kids - and it was tonally weird because a lot of the jokes just didn't land for some reason. The last two films have had multiple scenes where the whole cinema laughs, this time there was one joke.

What it reminded me of is that scene in Alan Partridge where he's asked his favourite Beatles album: "Tough one! I think I'd have to say The Best of the Beatles". It felt like a film version of that.

Also I'm not convinced by the action scenes and - again I look back at the Last Jedi - and I think the Rey and Ken on Snoke's ship is one of the best action sequences I've seen in ages and I also really enjoyed the bombing sequence. The actions scenes here just didn't seem as clear.

Similarly I think Richard E Grant was criminally under-used and had real Peter Cushing potential.

It's weird given that I think Marvel has actually managed this a lot better and there were maybe lessons to learn from that wing of the Disney MegaCorp.

It was particularly telling given that there was a trailer for the new Ghostbusters film which I felt similarly about. The reboot I thought was okay good fun and reasonably enjoyable (though I'd make a few changes), but then the crazy internet reaction and it's being ignored in favour of what looks like another very nostalgic, Stranger Things infused reboot.

Edit: One other point - Adam Driver really is terrific.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

I've seen it now. I agree.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Admiral Yi

What does Mandalorian mean?  Is he from Mandalore?

HVC

Mandalorian is a culture. So not necessarily from mandalore. A warrior culture. So like think Spartans I guess. They used to be a race long ago, but not anymore. ,

katmai

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 26, 2019, 01:19:28 PM
I thought the latest film was pretty good.  :sleep:
you like Meri are dead to me.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son