News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Yeah, I can not remember watching Episode 5 for the first time.  I would have been 5 when it came out.  My parents might have taken me to the movie theatre for that one - I'll have to ask.  I do remember watching Jedi in the theatre, and I had certainly seen Empire before then.

Of course from watching my own kids watching movies at that age, their ability to focus on the exact implications of dialogue sometimes escapes them.  I was watching Mandalorian with the kids, and Josh asked me a question.  My response was - the character literally just told yuo the answer to that.  They watch more for the action and visuals.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

I do remember watching Empire on the telly when it was first shown over here.  But the only bit I can conjure up are the walkers and the impression that the carbonite freezing scene made on me. But as for the "I'm your father!" bit, I draw blank.

Barrister

Quote from: celedhring on December 18, 2019, 05:06:56 PM
I do remember watching Empire on the telly when it was first shown over here. The thing that made the most impression on me was the carbonite freezing - scared the hell out of me. But as for the "I'm your father!" bit, I draw blank.

Yeah, if I didn't see it in the theatre, I probably saw it on TV.  This was right before VCRs became a huge thing, so I probably didn't watch it on VHS prior to 1983.

Ah, the "movie of the week".  That used to be a big thing.  In those days it probably would have been on CBC, which had a Sunday night movie.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

celedhring

Same here, compounded by the fact that there were only two TV channels in Spain throughout the 1980s.

When the Catalan TV showed the trilogy on consecutive nights in 1990 it was a huge event. That's actually when me and my brother became huge fans.

FunkMonk

Disney should just get Denis Villeneuve, Guillermo del Toro, Quentin Tarantino, Paul Thomas Anderson, and Terence Malick to direct the next few Star War movies and give them license to do what they want. Forget the trilogy mindset and just go for broke on different visions of the Star Wars universe.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

The Mandalorian episode 7:  :cry:

Berkut

What does "fanservice" mean?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2019, 10:24:24 PM

It comes from anime.  In that context it means adolescent T&A.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2019, 10:24:24 PM
"Fan service, fanservice, or service cut is material in a work of fiction or in a fictional series which is intentionally added to please the audience. The term originated in Japanese in the anime and manga fandom, but has been used in other languages and media."
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Berkut

I am still not sure what that means. Surely everything in a pop film is added to please the audience?

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on December 18, 2019, 11:43:46 PM
I am still not sure what that means. Surely everything in a pop film is added to please the audience?

It is stuff put in there for nostalgia and make longterm fans happy, rather than serve a wider audience or make a good story. That is what it means in this particular context anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

OK. Just not sure what I am supposed to take away from that. Long term fans of Star Wars? Isn't that everyone who goes to see Star Wars? Are there people who just show up and this is the first SW film they have seen?

Should I be upset or happy that there is "fanservice" stuff?

0 rows returned

Zoupa

You know what it means dude. Why are you playing dumb. Example of fan service:

These guys showed up in Rogue One. They were in A New Hope back in 77, in the cantina. It's a 2 seconds scene in Rogue One. It serves absolutely no purpose. It's fan service.

Get it now?  :rolleyes:

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on December 19, 2019, 02:39:33 AM
You know what it means dude. Why are you playing dumb. Example of fan service:

These guys showed up in Rogue One. They were in A New Hope back in 77, in the cantina. It's a 2 seconds scene in Rogue One. It serves absolutely no purpose. It's fan service.

Get it now?  :rolleyes:

Fan service is referencing stuff from a previous movie? OK.

Is this bad or good?

And I am not playing dumb! I am really just this dumb. Apparently.

0 rows returned

The Minsky Moment

This isn't exactly a new phenomenon - e.g., Balzac created his own "world" in the early and mid 19th century, with major characters in prior novels cropping up with cameos in later ones. Makes sense to recycle familiar and popular characters to orient loyal readers and yes perhaps even *gasp* please them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson