News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Diablo 4

Started by Syt, November 01, 2019, 02:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/01/diablo-4-announced/

After a number of reported false starts, Blizzard were today finally ready to announce Diablo IV. Oh dear oh dear, someone's only gone and released another ancient evil, so once again it's up to us to click on monsters until their bellies burst with a blast of gold and swords. Lilith, the Daughter of Hatred, is the big nasty this time. She created the world of humans, so you know she's a wrong'un. After the softer Diablo III, Blizzard say they're going dark again with this one. Watch the action-RPG's cinematic announcement trailer and a wee gamevid below.

Game director Luis Barriga took the stage at BlizzCon to explain that they're going darker in story and darker in look, with heaps of blood, gore, occult symbols, and that. The cinematic's blood sigil reaching out the bodies is pretty chuffing rad.

The first three classes confirmed are the Barbarian, Sorceress, and Druid, with more to be revealed. For now, see those three in action AND ON HORSES:

Blizzard say Diablo IV's world will be "a contiguous, seamless landmass" and it sounds a bit Destiny-ish too, with "opportunities for groups of players to encounter each other in the same shared world". I'm up for casual meetslashes, sure.

No firm word yet on when Diablo IV is coming to PC (and PS4 and Xbone). Blizzard plan to gab more about the game in panels across BlizzCon weekend. A wee demo will be playable there too and, by luck we have roving reporter Jay Castello out there in California.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I would be surprised if it wasn't. Just curious what form the microtransactions will take.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Hopefully the launch will be as smooth as the last one.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Iormlund

Iormlund

Watched Quin69's interview and I'm even less excited now.

• Full price for game and expansions plus microtransactions.
  • Some trading is back, but without auction house. So worst of both worlds.
  • Sets are still in.
  • Endgame seems barely thought out. Basically World Bosses ala WoW and PoE's mapping.

Eddie Teach

I never played Diablo 3. Any good?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Iormlund

I had a lot of fun playing it. It had some teething problems and a botched Auction House, but it improved quite a bit after the expansion.

The main problem is it has been scarcely supported since, so it feels empty of endgame content when compared with something like Path of Exile (which arguably has too much content these days). If complexity is what you are looking for PoE is a much better (and free) option.

frunk

Yeah, early on D3 had some definite advantages over PoE despite its problems.  Now PoE has gotten so much better the only advantage that D3 has is that it's really simple.

Syt

Even so, if one finds D3 too simplistic, and POE too overwhelming, Grim Dawn sits pretty comfortably in the middle between them.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2019, 08:28:56 AM
Even so, if one finds D3 too simplistic, and POE too overwhelming, Grim Dawn sits pretty comfortably in the middle between them.

Yeah, that's true.  I'd play GD before D3.  There are some elements in GD that are superior to PoE (chief among them that you can play offline).

Razgovory

I'm not that impressed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Zizaran, a YouTuber who I occasionally watch for his POE content had a look at the Diablo mobile game ("Do you not have phones???"), and the monetization seems ... bad. :D

—Stephen Jay Gould