News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2022, 12:50:20 PM
I'd also suggest some of those should be deleted but don't they think are as racist as portraying Indian leaders as naked primitives.

Hey I am not saying it isn't racist just how we got from tiny bits of evidence to just having it in the game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2022, 04:27:11 PM
Khazars are real.  In fact, I have a Khazar dictionary on my Kindle!

The Khazars were, of course, real. The evidence supporting the fact they were Jewish is based on I think a coin that was discovered. It is super flimsy. Which is too bad because I thought the whole concept was awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on January 11, 2022, 04:27:11 PM
Khazars are real.  In fact, I have a Khazar dictionary on my Kindle!

I have that one on my shelf. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2022, 05:15:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2022, 12:50:20 PM
I'd also suggest some of those should be deleted but don't they think are as racist as portraying Indian leaders as naked primitives.

Hey I am not saying it isn't racist just how we got from tiny bits of evidence to just having it in the game.

Oh I agree, they love meme content.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2022, 05:16:30 PM
The Khazars were, of course, real. The evidence supporting the fact they were Jewish is based on I think a coin that was discovered. It is super flimsy. Which is too bad because I thought the whole concept was awesome.
Didn't a number of their Khans also have Hebrew names?  IIRC the theory is that the Khazar Khaganate was multi-cultural and some of the ruling class was Jewish, but probably few to none of the common folk were. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Well here is a video with all the evidence for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr7WSR_EE44&list=PLSmG0ySpQbe51uif8vvWhRVCERBm-sEnE&index=40

So ok maybe there is a bit more than just a coin, even though that is the only actual artifact found I think.

Still like you say I don't think there were hordes of Jewish turkish nomads riding across the steppe like I wish was the case.

garbon

I've never seen this come up before in the often repeated discussion if CK should feature Hellenism as starting religion.

QuoteSo I am a Hellenist IRL and I have some thoughts on Hellenism; specifically I am a reconstructionist polytheist. Yes I worship all the Greek Gods and Goddesses.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I mean you get all kinds of neo-pagans (esp. of the Celtic or Norse variety), so why not a Hellene, I guess?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

How do you find the time to worship all the Greek gods and goddesses?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on January 21, 2022, 04:26:53 AM
How do you find the time to worship all the Greek gods and goddesses?
Even Greeks didn't have time for that, they just worshipped the ones applicable to the current situation.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2022, 03:16:15 AM
I've never seen this come up before in the often repeated discussion if CK should feature Hellenism as starting religion.

QuoteSo I am a Hellenist IRL and I have some thoughts on Hellenism; specifically I am a reconstructionist polytheist. Yes I worship all the Greek Gods and Goddesses.

:bleeding:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Meh, not much different from a Catholic observing all the feast days of saints  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 12:13:33 PM
Meh, not much different from a Catholic observing all the feast days of saints  ;)

Carrying on some superstition out of tradition and continuity is one thing, inventing one based on some ancient stuff is another :P

But as far as reconstructionist pagan religions and their relation to this era: well there is a reason they are reconstructionist and not revivalist. With the Norse Gods we have lots of their stories from the Icelandic epic poems and all that but we know very little about how the religion was actually practiced. And for the Celtic religion the situation is far worse.

And if I wanted to sacrifice a bull to Zeus or read the augurs of some entrails would anybody actually know how? And if not aren't we basically inventing an entirely new religion? That has nothing to do with the CK3 era, so what relevance does somebody being reconstructionist have to do with the game?

It made kind of a bit of sense to have Hellenism in CK2 (by CK2 standards where even a rumor of something happening is good enough to have in the game) since in the 769 starting date there were a few holdouts for the Hellenistic faith still left in isolated areas but by the 9th century they were all gone.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:43:55 PM

Carrying on some superstition out of tradition and continuity is one thing, inventing one based on some ancient stuff is another :P

Dont be too hard on Christianity.   

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 21, 2022, 03:47:35 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 21, 2022, 02:43:55 PM

Dont be too hard on Christianity.   

Christianity can take it.