And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 03:23:23 PM
I always just kind of assume Tim is cheating is my problem, so hard to get into the AAR much.
I'm not cheating.  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Habbaku

Right, reloading old saves when you lose a war is totally within the rules, after all.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 09, 2021, 09:21:00 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 03:23:23 PM
I always just kind of assume Tim is cheating is my problem, so hard to get into the AAR much.
I'm not cheating.  :mad:

You might not be!

You just have a reputation from that distant past is all :P

I should probably have a "Valmy gets his ass kicked by the Abbasid Caliph in CK2" AAR at some point. It would be fairly short at least :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2021, 05:28:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 04:17:56 PM
Certainly not me, I have only ever lost on Ironman in his lifetime :lol:

He does, however, just hate to lose and is really competitive. I am not competitive at all but it is a quality I really admire in others so I might have had something to do with that subconsciously.

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 03:12:19 PM
If you are not trying to cheat do you really want to win though?

:lol:

Valmy

As I said I admire l ultra competitive people who do everything to win. I am most certainly not one of those people, especially when it comes to a video game not even being played against another person.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Solmyr

I should find that CK1 AAR of me playing the Angelos dynasty where I used cheats (mostly kill command to execute family members) to actually lose. :D

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2021, 10:51:01 PM
As I said I admire l ultra competitive people who do everything to win. I am most certainly not one of those people, especially when it comes to a video game not even being played against another person.

I admire people who are outstanding and play within the spirit and rules of the game.  I have always despised people who try to take advantage when they think the ref isn't looking, or try fool the ref.  I hated playing against them and I hate watching them play.

By your logic you should be a great admirer of the GOP now.   :P

Jacob

Yeah, if you can't play in a sporting fashion you shouldn't play at all IMO.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2021, 12:06:29 PM

I admire people who are outstanding and play within the spirit and rules of the game.  I have always despised people who try to take advantage when they think the ref isn't looking, or try fool the ref.  I hated playing against them and I hate watching them play.

Well if you are going to attack my logic I guess I should at least clarify where I am coming from :P

I might throw in there that if a attorney acting within the spirit and rules of justice, instead of zealously advocating for their client, they would be disbarred at least in the United States. :P So take that counselor. And that is actually real life not sports :contract:

In any case sure I agree in principle, that everybody should reflect the gentlemanly and noble 19th century aristocratic 1% values and play the good game and then afterwards meet in the club and discuss the game over brandy. And frankly that is exactly how these millionaire athletes should behave. They don't really have anything at stake in the Euro. They are all millionaire athletes. Win or lose they will go home to their villas and their yachts and their model girlfriends or whatever else super rich athletes do in their lifestyles I wouldn't know. And if I were one of those guys I would absolutely do just that, just show up and play as well as I can shrug when I lost and go home to my piles of gold doubloons or whatever.

But the fact they often do not do that is kind of fascinating and beautiful to me. Tom Brady had won 3 Super Bowls and was a millionaire and was married to a billionaire model. 10 years ago I was just fascinated that, for whatever reason, that just didn't seem to matter much. The guy just keeps desperately needing to win. He eats a crazy diet and has a crazy exercise regimen. He mercilessly polices his teammates to make get them to play up to their maximum level. He does crazy shit like have footballs deflated to the very minimum allowable amount because it might give him a small edge. He cares to an almost pathological degree, enough that he is willing to maybe live in the gray zone of what might be strictly speaking in the spirit of 100% honest play. That is amazing to me, and kind of a beautiful thing. It is human weirdness at its full display. It is one of the things I also love about history.

And I love hearing about all the desperate and insane shenanigans that two proud American Universities, The University of Texas at Austin and the University of Oklahoma, do to win their annual football game, Planting fake gameplans. Secretly substituting heavily water soaked footballs right before a key field goal. Or, in the spirit of Tom Brady, scuffing up a football like the QB wanted but then painting the white stripes back on it to fool the ref. Insanity. I mean who really cares who wins this football game? Well they do, and since I know they do that makes it pretty fascinating.

Or guys like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird playing weird psychological games on the opponent the whole game. Is that in the spirit of gentlemanly competition? Nope. But hey the fact that those guys care so much when really they have nothing serious at stake is kind of fascinating to me.

But yeah I recognize it is not, strictly speaking, entirely gentlemanly and in the spirit of the game. But it is in the spirit of intense competition between pathologically competitive human beings which I am kind of fascinated by.

But this is sports, fun and games. Not real life. And not even like normal people playing sports but these borderline pathological people who compete at the highest levels.

But as I have made clear in the past this does not extend to performance enhancing drugs or financial cheating like what, apparently, both the Lightning and Habs were doing during the Stanley Cup playoffs. I do enjoy a little nonsense though, just because you are so desperate to see your team come out on top of this competition.

garbon

Thanks, Tim, for making this all happen. I'm guessing this isn't the traffic you wanted in the CK3 thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Valmy, eventually you should teach your kid that blatant cheating is not an achievement. :p

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 10, 2021, 08:40:57 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2021, 12:06:29 PM

Well if you are going to attack my logic I guess I should at least clarify where I am coming from :P

I might throw in there that if a attorney acting within the spirit and rules of justice, instead of zealously advocating for their client, they would be disbarred at least in the United States. :P So take that counselor. And that is actually real life not sports :contract:

In any case sure I agree in principle, that everybody should reflect the gentlemanly and noble 19th century aristocratic 1% values and play the good game and then afterwards meet in the club and discuss the game over brandy. And frankly that is exactly how these millionaire athletes should behave. They don't really have anything at stake in the Euro. They are all millionaire athletes. Win or lose they will go home to their villas and their yachts and their model girlfriends or whatever else super rich athletes do in their lifestyles I wouldn't know. And if I were one of those guys I would absolutely do just that, just show up and play as well as I can shrug when I lost and go home to my piles of gold doubloons or whatever.

But the fact they often do not do that is kind of fascinating and beautiful to me. Tom Brady had won 3 Super Bowls and was a millionaire and was married to a billionaire model. 10 years ago I was just fascinated that, for whatever reason, that just didn't seem to matter much. The guy just keeps desperately needing to win. He eats a crazy diet and has a crazy exercise regimen. He mercilessly polices his teammates to make get them to play up to their maximum level. He does crazy shit like have footballs deflated to the very minimum allowable amount because it might give him a small edge. He cares to an almost pathological degree, enough that he is willing to maybe live in the gray zone of what might be strictly speaking in the spirit of 100% honest play. That is amazing to me, and kind of a beautiful thing. It is human weirdness at its full display. It is one of the things I also love about history.

And I love hearing about all the desperate and insane shenanigans that two proud American Universities, The University of Texas at Austin and the University of Oklahoma, do to win their annual football game, Planting fake gameplans. Secretly substituting heavily water soaked footballs right before a key field goal. Or, in the spirit of Tom Brady, scuffing up a football like the QB wanted but then painting the white stripes back on it to fool the ref. Insanity. I mean who really cares who wins this football game? Well they do, and since I know they do that makes it pretty fascinating.

Or guys like Michael Jordan and Larry Bird playing weird psychological games on the opponent the whole game. Is that in the spirit of gentlemanly competition? Nope. But hey the fact that those guys care so much when really they have nothing serious at stake is kind of fascinating to me.

But yeah I recognize it is not, strictly speaking, entirely gentlemanly and in the spirit of the game. But it is in the spirit of intense competition between pathologically competitive human beings which I am kind of fascinated by.

But this is sports, fun and games. Not real life. And not even like normal people playing sports but these borderline pathological people who compete at the highest levels.

But as I have made clear in the past this does not extend to performance enhancing drugs or financial cheating like what, apparently, both the Lightning and Habs were doing during the Stanley Cup playoffs. I do enjoy a little nonsense though, just because you are so desperate to see your team come out on top of this competition.

First, I am not sure why you think there is a conflict between a lawyer zealously guarding the interests of their client and acting within the rules.  But here is a pro tip, if you run across a lawyer who believes there is such a conflict, get rid of them asap and find another lawyer, they will likely be disbarred or harm you, or both.

Many of the examples you have used having nothing to do with being dishonest when playing the game (except messing with footballs).  I still don't understand why you admire that.

Jacob

Can someone remind me when the next update is out? I'm planning on taking my next stab at CKIII when I can decorate my throne room.

crazy canuck

I don't think it is.  I am waiting or it too.