News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I remember CK1 was particularly broken...yet fun.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2020, 11:46:33 AM

It was my favorite Paradox game...until CK2 came along. But yeah it was broken as hell. Eventually it would crash as my court would get flooded by random country cousins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2020, 11:54:53 AM

It was my favorite Paradox game...until CK2 came along. But yeah it was broken as hell. Eventually it would crash as my court would get flooded by random country cousins.
So one of my favourite and least favourite things about CK3 is that your dynasty is far more independent. You have a lot less control over them which can make it challenging when you realise what they've been up to after 3 generations of building alliances, but does make it more fun :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

i joined the paradox forum because of CK1. Tried to get onto the beta, but everything became delayed because of Snowball (i think that was the developers name?). Ending up joining the Vicky1 beta... which i bailed on hah. but i did still by the game.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 10, 2020, 12:05:58 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 10, 2020, 11:54:53 AM

So one of my favourite and least favourite things about CK3 is that your dynasty is far more independent. You have a lot less control over them which can make it challenging when you realise what they've been up to after 3 generations of building alliances, but does make it more fun :lol:

It was the same way with CK2 as well. Which annoyed me since supposedly I am playing a dynasty and not a country but it always kind of seemed like in fact I was playing France not House Capet or whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Josquius

What annoys is less that they're independent and more that they're quite universally dicks.
Every single person in the world seems to want to see their brother dead. There's never a Prince who is chill livingfhe lifestyle of high nobility without the responsibility.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2020, 04:00:09 PM
What annoys is less that they're independent and more that they're quite universally dicks.
Every single person in the world seems to want to see their brother dead. There's never a Prince who is chill livingfhe lifestyle of high nobility without the responsibility.

Not the situation in my family, Emperor of Italia and all is sweetness and light  :goodboy:

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on September 10, 2020, 04:00:09 PM

Uncles. Uncles are the worst. I just came to the throne aged, 14, and for the past 10 years it's been nothing but factions and civil wars.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

Turns out I can play this by giving Microsoft DKK10. Sorcery.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 10, 2020, 09:36:16 AM
Quote from: Syt on September 10, 2020, 02:42:38 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 10, 2020, 02:07:09 AM
I reckon it will peak after 2-3 expansions then get over-egged, that is the Paradox way.

As it stands right now the game is very intuitive.....which feels particularly good given the time period it covers.

So was CK2 at the time. :P

CK2 interface on release was less than intuitive.

I had not many issues with the CK2 interface at launch, but YMMV, of course. I'm having more issues with CK3, but I think that's mostly due to me trying to figure out which functions are gone, added, or relocated. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on September 11, 2020, 06:02:47 AM
I reckon it will peak after 2-3 expansions then get over-egged, that is the Paradox way.

As it stands right now the game is very intuitive.....which feels particularly good given the time period it covers.

I had not many issues with the CK2 interface at launch, but YMMV, of course. I'm having more issues with CK3, but I think that's mostly due to me trying to figure out which functions are gone, added, or relocated. :)

I think I've seen comments that it is easier for those with more limited experience of CK2 setup, as in more CK2 play disadvantages you at understanding of CK3 interface.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

The thing about human memory is we tend to downplay the negatives in the things we have come to like.

Here is a description from 2017 about the interface.   Sure once you master it, the interface was ok.  But it was far from intuitive.

QuoteSadly, as amazing as everything I've said above was and has become, I'm still a bit sad that the vanilla game's main failing is still very much in effect, if not worse: it's too damn much.

A game with a lot of options and commands, by necessity, needs a lot of menus and buttons. And I'm not a UI designer, so I'm not going to tell Paradox how they can a better job.

But I know that, somehow, a better job needs to be done. Even as a seasoned strategy game player it took me a long time to get my head around how this game works, a fact helped by the fact I was into the history and had the motivation—namely, this is my job—to learn.

https://kotaku.com/crusader-kings-ii-the-kotaku-re-review-1783955128

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2020, 06:29:30 AM

I think I've seen comments that it is easier for those with more limited experience of CK2 setup, as in more CK2 play disadvantages you at understanding of CK3 interface.

That speaks to the need to have memorized how to use a non intuitive interface and now being confronted with one that is.

Valmy

After having played Slitherine games I have a hard time calling Paradox's interface unintuitive.

Also I have played Paradox games for over 20 years so I just kind of know how they work. I am not saying to the outsider they are not incredibly obtuse and hard to learn but that is not a problem I have, or one most of us in this thread have.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 11, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
After having played Slitherine games I have a hard time calling Paradox's interface unintuitive.

Also I have played Paradox games for over 20 years so I just kind of know how they work. I am not saying to the outsider they are not incredibly obtuse and hard to learn but that is not a problem I have.

Sure, but I am not comparing CKII to Slitherine.  I am comparing CKII to CKIII