News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Same as CK2 doesn't bode well.
All de jure meant there effectively was free cbs for the Lord and votes in rule changes for the junior.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I think the Normandy thing is fine.

What I don't understand is the religion thing. So IDK Cathars will be sub-Christians and thus have the Pope as religious head or what?

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2020, 07:00:50 AM
I think the Normandy thing is fine.

I will say that I understand where they are coming from that historical accuracy to be fudged there as it will complicate things with little game play benefit.

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2020, 07:00:50 AM
What I don't understand is the religion thing. So IDK Cathars will be sub-Christians and thus have the Pope as religious head or what?
Right now, I'm not sure if they have anything. In Islam, only the main Sunni school has a religious head, the other schools have no head.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

So what's the problem then?

Also, the Plantagenet kings usually went and paid (fake) homage to the French king as their liege in Normandy. I don't see the issue with how CK portrays that, seems perfectly valid to reality.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2020, 07:16:36 AM

What's the problem if other Sunni schools don't fall under the Caliph?  If Insular Christianity exists in game but doesn't recognize the Pope?

I should think the problem would be obvious. And as I noted, Paradox noted they plan to fix that but it is something that would have to come after release.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Normandy despite being the most famous example of it isn't so bad. In practice the French King had little power so Normandy was pretty much its own place.

There are lots of less prominent historic examples though of counties in different parts of Europe being under the same minor noble who very practically had two overlords.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2020, 07:09:22 AM
Right now, I'm not sure if they have anything. In Islam, only the main Sunni school has a religious head, the other schools have no head.

realistic :-/

The Brain

Which non-human races will be available at launch?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2020, 07:24:51 AM

What's the problem if other Sunni schools don't fall under the Caliph?  If Insular Christianity exists in game but doesn't recognize the Pope?

I should think the problem would be obvious. And as I noted, Paradox noted they plan to fix that but it is something that would have to come after release.

i am not saying you are not correct, I quite literally do not understand what you are saying. I will need to read up on religions in the game I guess.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 24, 2020, 12:03:25 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 24, 2020, 07:24:51 AM

i am not saying you are not correct, I quite literally do not understand what you are saying. I will need to read up on religions in the game I guess.

As part of their plan to market that this has 99+ religions or whatever, they took a lot of key religions and split them further up. So you've made separate many separate Buddhist faiths, separate Christian faiths, Hindu faiths, Islamic faiths, etc..  For Islam they split Sunni and Shiite into different schools, so there is no Sunni religion but instead it is Ashari, Mutzalite , etc. (thing represented as traits in CK2). Similarly Insular Christianity is now its own religion.

However, they haven't made it so same character can sit as religious head for multiple faiths so Insular Christians cannot have Pope as their religious head (as that's Catholic head) and similarly only I think Ashari has a Caliph, the rest of the Sunni schools have no religious leader.

That seems to suggest then Pope/Caliph will treat those other faiths as largely foreign faiths / in-faith actions like excommunication + crusade/jihad will not apply to those outside of Catholic/Ashari.

garbon

This might say it better which is also what alarmed me when I saw it. Well not alarmed as I don't buy P'dox products currently. :D

QuoteOnce again I question why Paradox has decided to add this and not add a mechanic that allows the Pope to be the head of this church and the Caliph to be the head of the various Sunni schools. If it proceeds like this, the game will be LESS accurate than CK2, unless we are thinking more religions = more accurate? One Catholic super blob covering everything including Ireland served the game just fine, are there better ways to represent the diversity in Catholic belief? Sure! Is this one of them? God no.

Read back through the dev diaries.
There was a dev response that it is something they intend to fix once the game as a whole is released. From context I'm not sure whether this will be a free standalone patch or added onto one of the DLC related patches.

Apparently there are some technical problems with joint heads of faith that need some ironing out.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2020, 11:33:35 AM
Which non-human races will be available at launch?

Just the Dutch to start.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

So there will be sub-version if Catholicism and they will not have the pope as religious head?

But what kind of variations could there be that the Pope would still accept as Catholic? I guess I will check it out in game before I panic.

Valmy

Basically the different varieties of local catholicism have their own teligion now to accommodate these differences but they still are Catholic...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.