News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Switzerland before my election. Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was missing a county from the duchy of Savoy when I formed the kingdom, so Savoy did not become dejure territory.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to survive the initial rebellion to place the Duchess of Bavaria on the throne because I had to deal with a much more serious issue. The count of Bologna executed his wife, my daughter, for adultery, so of course I had to burn down his castle and execute him for murder.

However, I did manage to get a white peace with the rebels. Then I conquered the rest of Burgundy which had been inherited somehow by a Muslim King, the reason I'd been able to expand in that direction in the first place. I gave two duchies to young sons and the crown to an older son that I had already given Savoy to.

He immediately hybridized the culture. As you can see, a crusade was going on.

I arrived quite late due to the aforementioned rebellion and then conquest of Burgundy, but I contributed enough that my daughter got a duchy.

Unfortunately my oldest son got maimed. He doesn't have a son, so I'm hoping he passes away before me so Radbot of Burgundy inherits.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 09, 2023, 06:38:47 AMI wish you could decline being elected emperor. It's quite disruptive of long term strategy. <_<

There's a mod for that.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 08, 2023, 10:56:09 PMHmm...wetnurses, tribal rites of passage and more chances to influence your wards personality.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-133-wet-nurses.1595724/

Wet nurses, hmm ... checking calendar, nope not April 1.
Self-parody?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 10, 2023, 12:44:18 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 08, 2023, 10:56:09 PMHmm...wetnurses, tribal rites of passage and more chances to influence your wards personality.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-133-wet-nurses.1595724/

Wet nurses, hmm ... checking calendar, nope not April 1.
Self-parody?

It's an update focusing on children, given the time period, seems realistic.

Anyways, despite being maimed and having no kids, my eldest son was elected and no rebellion. He has an infant son whose intelligent. Hopefully my guy will live long enough that his son can inherit. Focusing on the health path to boost his chances since being maimed is a big penalty.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Hopefully we get more big boobs :)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Hapsburg playthrough going well.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Mongols really have been buffed since the last DLC. They took Persia and Byzantium yet again.

However, since that Jihad for Syria was still grinding on they got involved in it as a defender. That, their war against White Rus and a major dissolution revolt gives me some hope that I won't have to deal with them.

After two stack wipes, I gave up defending against that jihad as lost cause and retreated back to Europe where I took back Champagne from Lithuania. There's still one county to go though.

1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I just saw Paradox post how it has been 3 years of CKIII. I feel sad about its wasted potential.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

I mean the game is not bad. It's just that they squandered the first DLC on Royal Court. That just does not fit into the map based game mechanics.

But despite this, somehow it does not click for me like other Paradox games. Not sure what is missing.

Josephus

Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2023, 02:08:24 AMI mean the game is not bad. It's just that they squandered the first DLC on Royal Court. That just does not fit into the map based game mechanics.

But despite this, somehow it does not click for me like other Paradox games. Not sure what is missing.

Strategy?

I am predicting that Paradox will never reach the heights of something like EUIV ever again. They've changed a lot now, more focussed on mass gaming (and transporting to consoles) than niche strategies. They also have a lot of new faces, not part of the old P'dox legacy of game designers. And Johan is just chilling in Spain. They've moved on.

Like Zanza said...yeah, I play it from time to time; especially when there's a new update, but it doesn't move me so much.

It IS hard to believe it's been three years. As Garbon said, it's been wasted. The DLCs arent' all that exciting. Not just Royal Court (anyone find the constant petitions annoying?) But even the wards and wardens and oooh, they now have wet nurses. The tournaments gets repetitive after a while, and hunting is just good for stress relief. The new hostages mechanic is meh....haven't bothered with it. ETC.

And some of the events look like they've been written by 14 year olds. "ooh, my vassal for some reason has come into my bathroom and is laughing at my penis. I'll make a rival out of him now."

I don't know why they haven't implemented the good stuff from CKII, like plagues and the black death. Now you just get these random silly events that incapacitate your ruler.

But yeah, I still play it.  :lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josephus on September 02, 2023, 11:24:24 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 02, 2023, 02:08:24 AMI mean the game is not bad. It's just that they squandered the first DLC on Royal Court. That just does not fit into the map based game mechanics.

Strategy?

I am predicting that Paradox will never reach the heights of something like EUIV ever again. They've changed a lot now, more focussed on mass gaming (and transporting to consoles) than niche strategies. They also have a lot of new faces, not part of the old P'dox legacy of game designers. And Johan is just chilling in Spain. They've moved on.

Victoria has had some teething problems but it's a real innovation on the formula that shows promise.
CKIII was a solid game out the gate, it's just that the post-release follow up has had virtually nothing to offer for the old strategy gamer base.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson