News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2023, 12:15:12 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2023, 09:22:56 PMBut I still refuse to buy Sunset Invasion. I wouldn't use it even if they gave it to me. Terrible idea, I am glad they never did another stupid Alt Hist thing like that again.,

Yeah, thank god they don't include silly alt-hist stuff in their games anymore .... :P

HOI IV has certainly gone over the top with it. But I'm with Valmy that Sunset Invasion was a terrible idea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josephus

I ignored CKII for a few years, and then, once, about 5 years ago it was on sale and I bought it along with all then-current DLCs, not really knowing anything about them, including Sunset Invasion.
My first game was as some English duchy, and boy was I surprised to see fucking Indians. I made sure I turned that off for all future games.

To be fair to Paradox, though, it was mostly a side project, more of a mod, then a DLC. Except they sold it and made money from it.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

I think it's interesting from a purely mechanical standpoint - on the Eastern part of the map you have the Mongols, while the West doesn't have to deal with that. The Aztecs and Incas showing up levels the playing field a bit.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2023, 07:18:15 AMI think it's interesting from a purely mechanical standpoint - on the Eastern part of the map you have the Mongols, while the West doesn't have to deal with that. The Aztecs and Incas showing up levels the playing field a bit.

Okay but I mean if that's best statement then it's like say interesting if zombies come up from Africa or Lovecraftian horrors arise in Britain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Solmyr

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2023, 09:29:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2023, 07:18:15 AMI think it's interesting from a purely mechanical standpoint - on the Eastern part of the map you have the Mongols, while the West doesn't have to deal with that. The Aztecs and Incas showing up levels the playing field a bit.

Okay but I mean if that's best statement then it's like say interesting if zombies come up from Africa or Lovecraftian horrors arise in Britain.

I might actually pay for those DLCs for CK3 if they are well-made. :P

Zanza

CK3 season pass revealed. I guess I'll get it, but not a huge fan of Throne Room, so I am a bit skeptical about Tours & Tournaments. 

Syt

I pre-ordered, but I'm a CK3 simp. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Yeah I'll get it. I get good enjoyment out of CKIII.

I mean, I can absolutely quibble about any given number of decisions and things to focus on. Would I make some different decisions? Probably. But I'm pretty okay with what we've gotten so far.

Jacob

Also... from my current game...

I have three pretty solid potential heirs lined up. Then one of them murders the current heir, causing the third one to die from stress.

It's enough of an RP game that I can't countenance letting the murderer get away with it. That's just not on. But fuck.

Such a typical CK moment.

Zanza

I will also get it as I buy most of the content for CK3, EU4, Stellaris and Vic3 anyway...

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 11:50:03 AMAlso... from my current game...

I have three pretty solid potential heirs lined up. Then one of them murders the current heir, causing the third one to die from stress.

It's enough of an RP game that I can't countenance letting the murderer get away with it. That's just not on. But fuck.

Such a typical CK moment.

I think you totally have to roll with the murderer being your next heir, and just RP with the heir being a murderous bastard.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2023, 11:58:17 AMI think you totally have to roll with the murderer being your next heir, and just RP with the heir being a murderous bastard.

That is one option, but my current ruler is not one to let the murder of a favourite child go unpunished.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 04, 2023, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 04, 2023, 11:58:17 AMI think you totally have to roll with the murderer being your next heir, and just RP with the heir being a murderous bastard.

That is one option, but my current ruler is not one to let the murder of a favourite child go unpunished.

Yes, but grief does funny things to people.  Your current ruler has just lost two children, leaving only one left.  Perhaps your ruler is more likely to try and "rehabilitate" the murderer, rather than risking his last surviving heir?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Listening to the history of the Germans podcast I learned that rebelling a couple times against your liege doesn't mean you can't be re-accepted again as one of the most trusted vassals of the realm, so what's a murder or two. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould