The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 12:22:28 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 12, 2021, 12:13:19 PM
Yeah, exactly, the President isn't pushing this but leaving it up to the Senate.  Read the whole article, not just the bits that make you feel less bad about making those bets.

Congressional democrats and the president compromised on this timeline.

I'm just telling you guys why there aren't witnesses, and why there isn't more and different types of evidence being presented. There are currently 3 things the democrats are trying to get through the senate asap: the impeachment trial, nominations, and covid relief. The first priority is covid relief, and thus the impeachment trial is going to get squeezed and some nominations are going to get pushed.

Sure hope you didn't place any more bets.

11B4V

Quote from: Zoupa on February 13, 2021, 03:17:38 AM
That lawyer was going heavy on the Chewbacca defense.

Not that it matters. He could have said "My client is guilty. Here is the proof, on tape, in writing" etc it still wouldn't matter.

I don't understand these politicians. What's the big deal? 99% of them are rich as fuck. Keep some dignity and go back to enjoy your millions in peace.

Why are they hanging on so much? Is that shred of power they think they have that addictive?

His base. It's that simple.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

viper37

I struggle to understand the Democrats' strategy.

The impeachment was almost never going to succeed, but the goal was to expose the Republican corruption.  Ok, I get it.

Now, they know for sure the Senate will vote to acquite, with McConnell signaling he will vote in this direction, it's a clear message to the GOP: Party before country, to rally the stray sheeps.

But they got their motion to bring witnesses, to expose even more the corruption of the President and let the GOPtard Senators stew in their juice.  But they finally move to forgo the witnesses and vote on impeachment, that is, to acquite the former President.

I do not understand the strategy.  They had the GOP in the ropes and they're letting them breathe.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on February 13, 2021, 02:51:34 PM
I struggle to understand the Democrats' strategy.

The impeachment was almost never going to succeed, but the goal was to expose the Republican corruption.  Ok, I get it.

Now, they know for sure the Senate will vote to acquite, with McConnell signaling he will vote in this direction, it's a clear message to the GOP: Party before country, to rally the stray sheeps.

But they got their motion to bring witnesses, to expose even more the corruption of the President and let the GOPtard Senators stew in their juice.  But they finally move to forgo the witnesses and vote on impeachment, that is, to acquite the former President.

I do not understand the strategy.  They had the GOP in the ropes and they're letting them breathe.

The Democrats don't want to sit with this forever.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sophie Scholl

Recess beckons. No time for witnesses when they have all of next week off! Democrats are the Washington Generals of American politics. Always playing for second place.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Minsky Moment

If one side gets witnesses, the other side gets witnesses and the other side made it clear they would make a circus out of it.

The Democrats didn't really want or need "witnesses" - the events were televised for all to see.

They wanted to get the McCarthy call into evidence.  Once they got that they didn't need anything else.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

Disgusting.

So the POTUS can just do whatever he wants.  Cool.  I guess every four years we elect a dictator.  Good to know. :sleep:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

FunkMonk

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Mitch: Donald Trump is directly responsible for inciting insurrection against Congress and a reprehensible human being.

Mitch: Also I voted to acquit.

My guess is he let his caucus speak their minds, realized there weren't enough votes to convict, and went with his party. Allowed the 7 Republicans to vote their conscience. Also they probably got a lot of death threats from the crazies.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Admiral Yi

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 13, 2021, 04:27:27 PM
Mitch: Donald Trump is directly responsible for inciting insurrection against Congress and a reprehensible human being.

Mitch: Also I voted to acquit.
I think Mitch's line might be the most dangerous for Trump. It's basically a technicality. The Senate doesn't have jurisdiction to impeach, but there is ample evidence that Trump committed crimes - to me that implies that someone has jurisdiction and Trump should be arrested and prosecuted, no?
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

One good thing is that at least this time we had 7 people who held the line.  They may be a minority, but at least it's not just Mitt.  Now that's they're all-in against Trumpism, maybe they'll stick with it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on February 13, 2021, 04:36:16 PM
One good thing is that at least this time we had 7 people who held the line.  They may be a minority, but at least it's not just Mitt.  Now that's they're all-in against Trumpism, maybe they'll stick with it.

I think you mean ...

nice edit.  :)