The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 12, 2021, 12:31:36 PMI know you are being flip about the Secretary of Agriculture, but you also don't have approvals for some important posts like the Attorney General, Commerce, Energy, the EPA, Education, Health and Human Services (while we are in a pandemic), etc.

:whistle:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

The Trump defense team has convinced me - we should impeach Elizabeth Warren for unleashing Rachel Maddow on the Capitol Building.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

The Minsky Moment

"This is not whataboutism"

"But what about ... ?  (Cues highlight reel)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Wow, Trump's lawyer just made the trial about his own liability to practice for making a frivolous argument.

The Minsky Moment

The Weakest Link is now implicating his client in conspiracy.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Yi will be happy that the defence has raised the argument about Georgia. 

"Find, means a concern about the drop in ballot rejection rates".  So find meant, find votes that can be rejected.

I am beginning to understand why the first set of lawyers withdrew.

edit:  not sure why he thinks reading damning evidence of the former President's statements into the record is helping his client.  There must be a right wing echo chamber somewhere that thinks those comments are fine.

The Minsky Moment

The ballot rejection numbers cited are also false.
Ballots rejected in GA for inaccurate signatures:
2016: 0.24%
2018: 0.15%
2020: 0.15%

--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

Well there it is, you cannot impeach a President for inciting a riot because cancel culture.

The Minsky Moment

Yi got his way though - the Georgia election steal attempt got into evidence - through the defense :huh:
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Obviously had Trump overturned Georgia somehow he still would have lost the election.

Why I think Trump focused on Georgia:

-Republicans control everything in the state, so he could theoretically pressure the state to bend to his will. Plus in a contested state like Georgia, for elected republicans to alienate Trump fans is presumably fatal.
-The Senate runoffs allowed him to get the two republican senators on his side.

Both of those play incredibly poorly to Senate republicans, many of whom seem to blame him for losing the two senate seats because of his Georgia nonsense. Which of course cost them two colleagues and their control of the senate.

Apart from the incredible dumbness of alleging election fraud in Georgia, it seems the worst possible topic for the defense to approach.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

alfred russel

Shortly before the Georgia runoffs Trump came down for a rally with the senate republicans. Which seemed like a massive peace offering for the Georgia republican party he seemed to be going to war with.

But there is a story out that just before the rally he told Loeffler that either she support his movement to reject the electoral votes or he would go out on stage and end any chance she had to win the election.

Which is a pretty gangster move and in the end Loeffler decided to trade her soul for Trump's support that didn't even save her seat so no tears for her, but I imagine that her old colleagues don't feel the way I do.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Brain

Is there likely to be a conviction? As long as there isn't the defense was good enough.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.