The Impeachment of President Donald J Trump

Started by FunkMonk, September 24, 2019, 02:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Trump's lawyer is so unbelievably bad that he may have a legitimate claim that he is doing stand-up comedy instead of serious legal work  :lol:

Razgovory

There is a lesson here:  Pay your lawyers in a timely fashion.  Do not try to swindle them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on February 12, 2021, 10:17:03 AM
There is a lesson here:  Pay your lawyers in a timely fashion.  Do not try to swindle them.

Raz may say he's crazy but it is pearls of wisdom like this that make him the true voice of reason of logic on languish.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

You don't need good lawyers if you can extort the jury.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Did the Democrats even mention the Georgia phone call?

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

There are no rules in impeachment except the ones the Senators make up for themselves so ethics really isn't the issue.

I get the attraction of being a US Senator from the great state of Texas, but if the cost is the repeated humiliation of having to rush when summoned by master and lick his hand after he has repeatedly mocked and degraded you and your family, is it really worth paying?  Just tell him to F off and go back into private practice with some sense of dignity intact if it costs you an election.

Graham is a different story - he's got some kind of weird masochistic kink going on with Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 10:22:53 AM
Did the Democrats even mention the Georgia phone call?

IIRC that's being investigated in a separate case in criminal court in Georgia, and was not part of the impeachment process.

DGuller

I really think that taunting is one of the intentions here.  Just like with Putin jailing Navalny for being too comatose to comply with parole terms, the intention is to poke people in the eye just to show how they can get away with it.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2021, 10:51:23 AM
There are no rules in impeachment except the ones the Senators make up for themselves so ethics really isn't the issue.
Surely ethics are precisely the issue when there are no rules?

Obviously if they were even attempting to appear as impartial jurors they wouldn't do this. Flipside, I don't think they'd do this if they didn't think this is going badly because it's very obvious.

QuoteI get the attraction of being a US Senator from the great state of Texas, but if the cost is the repeated humiliation of having to rush when summoned by master and lick his hand after he has repeatedly mocked and degraded you and your family, is it really worth paying?  Just tell him to F off and go back into private practice with some sense of dignity intact if it costs you an election.
Yes. Again, they're just so craven.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2021, 10:51:48 AM
IIRC that's being investigated in a separate case in criminal court in Georgia, and was not part of the impeachment process.

Big mistake IMO. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2021, 10:57:23 AM
Surely ethics are precisely the issue when there are no rules?

Obviously if they were even attempting to appear as impartial jurors they wouldn't do this.

The whole point is to appear partial.  To appease the Palm Beach Fuehrer and his paramilitary No Shirts.
--Joan Robinson

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2021, 10:58:26 AM
Quote from: The Larch on February 12, 2021, 10:51:48 AM

Big mistake IMO.
But how is it linked to the January 6 events?

And do you think it would make any difference to the result?
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2021, 11:02:14 AM
But how is it linked to the January 6 events?

It's not.  So what?

QuoteAnd do you think it would make any difference to the result?

Probably not.  But I think the riot is easier to defend, since (AFAIK) Trump never said "go and kill some cops and zip tie Nancy Pelosi."

The Minsky Moment

They could have charged a conspiracy to subvert the constitution and seize power.  That's the link.  The reason he wanted to disrupt the Jan 6 certification was to buy more time to intimidate states into changing the numbers.  The impeachment managers already used half that evidence in admitting the Rudy-Tuberville communications.  The other half would be the state level arm twists.
--Joan Robinson