6 (21.4%)
Kids
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:47:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2019, 01:35:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 01:21:51 PM
Breakfast Club seems too old for this list. 

The bulk of the gen x cohort were in their late teens when breakfast club came out.  Pretty much the perfect gen x movie.

Yeah Breakfast Club is the classic Gen X movie, so yeah, my vote, if this was a popularity poll.

I might add St. Elmo's Fire, perhaps as a "defining movie." Fairly wealthy middle class kids, graduating school, not entirely sure where they're heading.

St. Elmo's fire would be a very good choice.

Iormlund

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 27, 2019, 01:19:06 PM
Trainspotting would be another good choice.

That would be my choice as well. In Spain heroin was way down from the 80s epidemic, but as a devoted fan of electronic music I spent quite a few years around drugs.

I was way too young for Breakfast Club, and the American high school experience doesn't really translate that well anyway. Clerks was great, but I saw it in my 20s.

Josephus

Not sure I see Trainspotting as a Gen X movie myself.

More of an "idiots in Glasgow" movie.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tonitrus

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 02:34:12 PM
Not sure I see Trainspotting as a Gen X movie myself.

More of an "idiots in Glasgow" movie.

Colonized by wankers!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

I feel very much like a millennial now, I haven't watch any of those.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Tonitrus

Quote from: Liep on August 27, 2019, 04:55:37 PM
I feel very much like a millennial now, I haven't watch any of those.

To be fair, as a Gen-Xer myself, I've only really sat through one of those films (The Breakfast Club).  They all mostly rather insist upon themselves.   :P

dps

Voted Heathers, but I think a good case, based on what I've heard about it, could be made for Reality Bites.  I haven't seen that one, though, so I couldn't vote for it.

celedhring

Oddly enough Reality Bites was a smash at my high school (Larchie maybe can confirm if that was a Spain-wide thing). Like everybody saw it, the girls tried to look like Wynona Rider, people asked to learn the song's lyrics during English class... That's the film I think of when I think of Gen X, but it's probably just for biographical reasons.

I personally for a while had a massive crush on Janeane Garofalo  :blush:

Breakfast Club and pretty much all John Hugues films mean nothing to me, I was too young when they came out.

Valmy

I went with the Breakfast Club. Those movies tended to resonate a lot with Xers and have since aged rather poorly. Definitely things of their time.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

saskganesh

Repo Man was better than all those flicks, starting with the soundtrack.
humans were created in their own image

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on August 27, 2019, 05:48:39 PM
Oddly enough Reality Bites was a smash at my high school (Larchie maybe can confirm if that was a Spain-wide thing). Like everybody saw it, the girls tried to look like Wynona Rider, people asked to learn the song's lyrics during English class... That's the film I think of when I think of Gen X, but it's probably just for biographical reasons.

I personally for a while had a massive crush on Janeane Garofalo  :blush:

Breakfast Club and pretty much all John Hugues films mean nothing to me, I was too young when they came out.

Reality Bites was pretty big, yes. I seem to remember some song featured in the movie appearing in the charts back then.

Clerks had a cult following. Very few people know about Breakfast Club. The rest I have never even heard of.

Sophie Scholl

Went with Reality BitesEmpire Records is probably my favorite of the movies listed, though I almost consider it more of a late X, early Millenial movie (aka my generation).
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."