Singles
0 (0%)
Reality Bites
6 (21.4%)
Kids
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

Voted Dazed and confused, because it's the only one I actually like (though I come close to like the breakfast club, but I don't think it aged well)
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Dazed and Confused is a great movie, but it's about Boomers.
Before Sunrise?   :wacko:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Eddie Teach

Trainspotting would be another good choice.

Savonarola

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 27, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
Dazed and Confused is a great movie, but it's about Boomers.
Before Sunrise?   :wacko:

Yeah, the BBC went Linklater wild; I was tempted just to stop at "Slacker."
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Breakfast Club seems too old for this list.  Dazed and Confused is set in the 1970s - not sure how that qualifies either.

I'm going to vote Clerks, but I'm not sure why.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 27, 2019, 01:21:51 PM
Breakfast Club seems too old for this list. 

The bulk of the gen x cohort were in their late teens when breakfast club came out.  Pretty much the perfect gen x movie.

Savonarola

Breakfast Club seems too old for this list.  Dazed and Confused is set in the 1970s - not sure how that qualifies either.

I'm going to vote Clerks, but I'm not sure why.

Breakfast Club was 1985; if you were a teenager then you'd be a Gen-Xer.  (Though, as the article notes, the director, John Hughes, was a Baby Boomer.  Though I think most of the directors of the films listed, except for Kevin Smith, were Baby Boomers.)

Malthus

I voted Heathers, based purely on the fact that I enjoyed it back in the day.  :D

"Eskimo".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2019, 01:35:21 PM

The bulk of the gen x cohort were in their late teens when breakfast club came out.  Pretty much the perfect gen x movie.

Yeah Breakfast Club is the classic Gen X movie, so yeah, my vote, if this was a popularity poll.

I might add St. Elmo's Fire, perhaps as a "defining movie." Fairly wealthy middle class kids, graduating school, not entirely sure where they're heading.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
I voted Heathers, based purely on the fact that I enjoyed it back in the day.  :D

"Eskimo".

But not really "defining" though ... I mean we didn't go around killing ourselves. At least I didn't.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:49:41 PM

"Eskimo".

But not really "defining" though ... I mean we didn't go around killing ourselves. At least I didn't.

Nor did anyone in that movie. People just thought they did.  ;)

(I was thinking more about the type of dark humour being typical of the era).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 27, 2019, 02:11:40 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 27, 2019, 01:49:41 PM

"Eskimo".

Nor did anyone in that movie. People just thought they did.  ;)

(I was thinking more about the type of dark humour being typical of the era).

Yeah. I guess I'm getting hung up on the meaning of "defined". 

Darth Wagtaros

Grave of the fireflies. 

For we are adrift in a hopeless, cruel, world. Created by our elders then discarded in favor of their frenemies - the millennial.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 27, 2019, 01:35:21 PM

Hardly. That's 5 years out of 15+.