And we're back!

Main Menu

How Democracy Dies

Started by The Minsky Moment, August 06, 2019, 09:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2019, 07:37:11 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 10, 2019, 07:33:38 PM
(which apparently is only comprised of lefties)

Whataboutism. Nice.

It was an obvious dig at Berkut dude. This whole subject just seems like lots of wasted ink and electrons. Une tempete dans un verre d'eau, non?

DGuller

Only the leftist Twitter mobs have the potential to ruin someone's career (unless you work in some rightist groupthink tank or something of that nature).  In that a way that's a good thing, the world would certainly suck a lot more if the hard right rather than the hard left had the power to bully the corporate world into shunning some individual, but that does make the phenomenon quite disproportionate between the two sides.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2019, 07:35:47 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2019, 07:04:41 PM
I'm unclear on something.  Are we proposing to protect freedom of speech by removing the ability to criticize and the right to free association?

We are proposing nothing of the sort. At least I am not.

What sorts of ways of removing the ability to critisize and the right to free association have been proposed?

Then what is being proposed here?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2019, 08:22:21 PM
Only the leftist Twitter mobs have the potential to ruin someone's career (unless you work in some rightist groupthink tank or something of that nature).  In that a way that's a good thing, the world would certainly suck a lot more if the hard right rather than the hard left had the power to bully the corporate world into shunning some individual, but that does make the phenomenon quite disproportionate between the two sides.

They also have disproportionate influence on the issues of academic independence, the debate about the assault/come on line, and the whole shitstorm about gender identity.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 10, 2019, 08:56:41 PM
Then what is being proposed here?

Well all I have proposed is the new and exciting idea that mob justice is arbitrary and unjust.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2019, 08:22:21 PM

That was true in the past but I'm not so sure now.  See the reaction to The Hunt, or the job that got done on James Gunn.  The left adapted to it first, but the right is becoming adept at pulling the levers as well.

Valmy

My first rather visceral reaction to the Twitter Mob actually came from the Gamergate stuff. So the right does it as well. I am not sure that helps the case that it is a great thing that helps bring justice to our society though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 06, 2019, 11:09:49 AM
It's out of concern for others.
it is pure sillyness from activists in ivory towers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Activists =/= Ivory Tower. The two are mutually exclusive.

Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Activists aren't immune to living in a bubble or grasping on to impractical ideas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Oexmelin

No, they aren't. It's just not what the Ivory Tower is.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Malthus

I've said it before, but the main damage the "ivory tower" academics in the humanities have done to our society, is that they have undermined the notion that objective truth is a worthwhile thing that can change minds, or is even possible to seek; everything becomes a matter of perspective, everyone is biased. This leaves us desperately vulnerable to people who care nothing for objective truth.

If everything is just a clash of values, then there is nothing to stop a guy like Trump from supporting his abhorrent values, other than the power to do so.

This situation also gives force to twitter mobs, left or right; if enough people are outraged, their outrage equals truth. What's to stop that, if everything is just a clash of values? The twitter mob is just a lot of people expressing some values.

To be clear, I don't blame the "ivory tower" for creating guys like Trump or twitter mobs. I blame them for failing to arm people with the intellectual tools to fight guys like Trump, or twitter mobs. 

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2019, 09:48:45 AM
I've said it before, but the main damage the "ivory tower" academics in the humanities have done to our society, is that they have undermined the notion that objective truth is a worthwhile thing that can change minds, or is even possible to seek; everything becomes a matter of perspective, everyone is biased. This leaves us desperately vulnerable to people who care nothing for objective truth.

If everything is just a clash of values, then there is nothing to stop a guy like Trump from supporting his abhorrent values, other than the power to do so.

This situation also gives force to twitter mobs, left or right; if enough people are outraged, their outrage equals truth. What's to stop that, if everything is just a clash of values? The twitter mob is just a lot of people expressing some values.

To be clear, I don't blame the "ivory tower" for creating guys like Trump or twitter mobs. I blame them for failing to arm people with the intellectual tools to fight guys like Trump, or twitter mobs.

Yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2019, 09:48:45 AM

How can professors arm people with the necessary intellectual tools when the shift in post secondary education has been away from liberal arts degrees to STEM and business degrees?