Malthus visits the Finger Lakes Region, New York State

Started by Malthus, August 06, 2019, 08:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

My wife and took our kid to a debate camp held at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York; he was there for a week. Apparently, he had a great time. We took the opportunity to explore the Finger Lakes region of New York - a place I'd never been before.

Some random impressions follow.

First, the area is incredibly pretty. It's full of scenic areas to wander around in, and you can easily see why it is a tourist mecca.

Our favorite was wandering through Watkins Glen:

The walk up the gorge is beautiful, made easier by the fact it was all developed with paths and bridges etc. by one of those 1930s work programs - it must have been an incredible bit of labour. The paths are damp and slippery, though, and filled with hundreds of stone stairs; it was a bit alarming to see tourists wandering up in flip-flops, occasionally carrying struggling toddlers (!).

The town of Ithaca is a university town, very hilly and also filled with beautiful parks and sights: I particularly liked the "forest home" area in the middle of the campus. 

We did a bit of touring of the local wineries, which struck me as very similar to those of the Niagara region - only more expensive (the marked prices were similar figures, only in US dollars!). Also, ice wine doesn't appear to be a specialty here. On a minor note, the tastings were more expensive - they tended to be $5 US, and no refund if you bought wine; in Niagara, usually if you actually bought a reasonable amount of wine, they would forget the fee. So the impression was that these wineries earned more from tourist tastings.

We attended one place that was hosting a big "Garlic Festival", which seemed somewhat ominous, given a recent massacre at another garlic festival - we had no idea of course that two other massacres were happening elsewhere that weekend.

The local culture seems far more - militant? - than that we are used to. References to the US army were everywhere - several of the small towns we drove through had banners hanging from every lamppost describing "hometown heroes" (with pictures of people from that town who had joined the army), on the tables in the hotel at breakfast there were little advertising stands declaring that the hotel contributed to veteran's funds, even the local booze store in Watkins Glen prominently advertised a 10% discount for veterans. References to reverencing those serving in the military just seemed to be everywhere one looked.

The place was crawling with deer. Driving the highways there were signs warning of deer (often oddly specific - "Deer 1 1/2 miles") - and they weren't joking. We saw lots of them running beside the roads, and at least two carcases by the side of the roads.

The drive between Watkins Glen and Ithaca took us through an untouristed part of the countryside, which was an experience. On that drive, we first saw a hand painted sign reading "Redneck Ridge". Then, a huge billboard stating "Jesus is Coming - Repent!". Finally, perhaps the seediest building I had ever seen - a crumbling old place, with lots of pickup trucks, some broken-down (some up on cinder blocks) outside it; but it was evidently open for business - and it had large ads painted across the windows advertising "Exotic Dancers!".

This place looked straight out of a novel by Joe R. Lansdale. I wanted to stop and get a picture, but my wife vetoed this idea - in her mind, a swarm of zombie-like meth-heads with shotguns were likely to boil out of there like wasps from a hive if provoked. All in all, an interesting bit of Americana.

Crossing the border at Niagara was also interesting. Going into the US, you really knew you were crossing a border - the place was full of armed guards, and a pair walked through the crowd of cars with a ferocious looking dog (presumably sniffing for drugs). The border had an intimidating row of cameras photographing each car from multiple angles. Crossing took an hour and a half, as each car was closely questioned - the guy ahead of us got a through grilling. We made it through relatively lightly.

Going the other way was more pro forma - no cameras, no dogs, the guy didn't even bother to ask us if we had anything to declare, just waved us through; and no hour and a half wait.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

So you were in Ithaca for a week, then drove to Niagara Falls, which means you drive right by Rochester, NY?

:mad:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Beautiful pictures. And yes, that's my experience crossing the US/Canadian border, too.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on August 06, 2019, 09:27:43 AM
So you were in Ithaca for a week, then drove to Niagara Falls, which means you drive right by Rochester, NY?

:mad:

No - I was in Ithaca twice, for a day each time. We didn't actually stay the week, only Carl did; we just delivered him and picked him up again - taking the opportunity to tourist around a bit. 

Definitely would like to check out Rochester some day!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 06, 2019, 09:36:25 AM
Beautiful pictures. And yes, that's my experience crossing the US/Canadian border, too.

Really, it ought to be the other way around.

I mean, aside from pot and maple syrup, there isn't much people are likely to smuggle into the US from Canada; but hand guns can, and do, go the other way.

It is a bit sad to see though, I can remember when the border was much more open.

Maladict

Quote from: Malthus on August 06, 2019, 09:51:36 AM

It is a bit sad to see though, I can remember when the border was much more open.

Was it? I had the same experience before 9/11. Crossing the border out of Montreal was pretty intimidating, coming back from Detroit into Windsor was a breeze (not to mention a breath of fresh air).

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2019, 12:02:12 PM
Some good wine country in the lakes region.

Yup, we did a bit of winery touring, but obviously very limited in time. Looks like it would repay more time spent.

Malthus

Quote from: Maladict on August 06, 2019, 11:39:54 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 06, 2019, 09:51:36 AM

Was it? I had the same experience before 9/11. Crossing the border out of Montreal was pretty intimidating, coming back from Detroit into Windsor was a breeze (not to mention a breath of fresh air).

It's changed a lot.

http://mcgilltribune.com/changing-nature-canadian-american-border-security/

In the recent past, you didn't even need a passport to cross the border.

Valmy

There are/were communities near the border where people cross the border a few times each day. I wonder how things have changed for them?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

There's something similar to the TSA Precheck that they have for car border crossings. A lot of my friends have that and do exactly what you're talking about. They get through in about 15 minutes, at most, they've said. Almost worth the $40 for it, but I only go up to Vancouver a couple of times a year.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on August 06, 2019, 01:20:28 PM
There's something similar to the TSA Precheck that they have for car border crossings. A lot of my friends have that and do exactly what you're talking about. They get through in about 15 minutes, at most, they've said. Almost worth the $40 for it, but I only go up to Vancouver a couple of times a year.

NEXUS, I think.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus