News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Trump Drug Plan: Buy Canadian

Started by Malthus, July 31, 2019, 01:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2019, 12:38:01 PM
Your concern for the QoL of insulin-users warms the old heart.

I think we should make coal power plants 1% more efficient instead of developing nuclear power plants.

See what happens when random weirdos opine on stuff way outside their field?

Anyhoo. You guys can believe what you want. It's no skin off my back.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 03:36:23 PM

I think we should make coal power plants 1% more efficient instead of developing nuclear power plants.

I think you know that there is no specific fixed sum that society invests in medical research. Or electricity generation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Zoupa on August 01, 2019, 06:21:20 PM
The newer insulins offer marginal benefits at most.

It's part of a widespread pattern of "R&D" in pharmaceutical companies. Basically they tweak an existing molecule, test and market it as a new drug and get around patent expiration.

There's very little innovation going on. No search for a cure kinda thing. It's mostly "let's add a hydrogen there, test it and see if it works". Out of the hundred different variations they'll find one where they can make the statistics say it's 1% better than the old drug. That's good enough to market it to doctors at their yearly conference in Honolulu and there ya go.

"R&D"

It's why I gave up on research and went to work at a community pharmacy.

My understanding is the actual long term outcomes of newer vs older insulins is marginal, but the newer insulins require less education/diligence to use, so once a patient is used to using them they have worse outcomes when they try to use older insulins that are not as fast-acting and require more planning and etc in terms of scheduling meal times and carb consumption etc. I definitely think the cheaper vials sold by Wal-Mart are very viable to live with diabetes w/proper education, but it seems like PCPs overwhelmingly prefer to put patients on newer formulations, and most people don't like to use drugs against doctors orders.

FWIW I think the older formulations of insulin are actually sold OTC in the U.S. as well.

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2019, 03:48:38 PM

I think you know that there is no specific fixed sum that society invests in medical research. Or electricity generation.

Ok. What's your point?

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 04:24:38 PM

Ok. What's your point?

The obvious one: a dollar spent on better insulin doesn't mean a dollar isn't spent on more "noble" endeavours. And if you hate investments in better insulin so much I'd hate to see what you think about investments in movies or tourism or whatever, those aren't even close to bringing new drugs to market. As is often the case the heretic is more despised than the infidel, I suppose.

mongers

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 02, 2019, 03:55:02 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on August 01, 2019, 06:21:20 PM
The newer insulins offer marginal benefits at most.

It's part of a widespread pattern of "R&D" in pharmaceutical companies. Basically they tweak an existing molecule, test and market it as a new drug and get around patent expiration.

There's very little innovation going on. No search for a cure kinda thing. It's mostly "let's add a hydrogen there, test it and see if it works". Out of the hundred different variations they'll find one where they can make the statistics say it's 1% better than the old drug. That's good enough to market it to doctors at their yearly conference in Honolulu and there ya go.

"R&D"

It's why I gave up on research and went to work at a community pharmacy.

My understanding is the actual long term outcomes of newer vs older insulins is marginal, but the newer insulins require less education/diligence to use, so once a patient is used to using them they have worse outcomes when they try to use older insulins that are not as fast-acting and require more planning and etc in terms of scheduling meal times and carb consumption etc. I definitely think the cheaper vials sold by Wal-Mart are very viable to live with diabetes w/proper education, but it seems like PCPs overwhelmingly prefer to put patients on newer formulations, and most people don't like to use drugs against doctors orders.

FWIW I think the older formulations of insulin are actually sold OTC in the U.S. as well.

Thanks Otto for the interesting viewpoint.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zoupa

Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2019, 04:32:13 PM

Ok. What's your point?

The obvious one: a dollar spent on better insulin doesn't mean a dollar isn't spent on more "noble" endeavours. And if you hate investments in better insulin so much I'd hate to see what you think about investments in movies or tourism or whatever, those aren't even close to bringing new drugs to market. As is often the case the heretic is more despised than the infidel, I suppose.

Lol ok. Let's not try to improve the system or anything. I bet you've never protested for anything a day in your life.

ScandiMono.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 07:20:16 PM
Lol ok. Let's not try to improve the system or anything. I bet you've never protested for anything a day in your life.

ScandiMono.

That's not "improving the system."  That's demanding pharma perform charity work.

Zoupa

Big pharma doing charity work would improve the system.

I'm all ears for alternatives guys. Let's hear them.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 07:47:33 PM
Big pharma doing charity work would improve the system.
If you consider big pharma being unable to attract investors or lenders because they're engaged in unprofitable activity an improvement.

QuoteI'm all ears for alternatives guys. Let's hear them.

Hey, I've got one.  How about big pharma continues researching drugs they think they can turn a profit on, and other people donate money to nonprofit organizations which fund research on things like cancer and HIV?

Zoupa

So basically, absolutely no change to the current system. Got it.

J&J made over 16 billion dollars in profit last year. Profit, not revenue. Somehow I think they can "attract investors or lenders" with little difficulty.

Unrestrained capitalism will be the end of our species.

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 07:20:16 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 02, 2019, 04:32:13 PM

Ok. What's your point?

ScandiMono.

I don't follow.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zoupa on August 02, 2019, 08:44:41 PM
J&J made over 16 billion dollars in profit last year. Profit, not revenue.

And what was their return on equity?

Zoupa

Threviel

Apple made billions in profits last year, Nisses Ved och Porr only made a few thousands. Both numbers are irrelevant without knowing the return on equity. To say that a business made a lot of money does not really indicate how much the investors got or how profitable the business is.