News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

Quote from: 11B4V on August 05, 2019, 07:43:39 PM
Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2019, 10:21:37 PM
Dayton police killed the shooter 30 seconds after he fired his first shot. He still managed to kill 9 people and injure over a dozen.

Jesus. That's insane.

Thirty seconds is a lot of time for a shooter. Even an untrained one. While the police response was exceptionally fast this time... It is generally not the norm

But it will still be used as proof for the good guy with a gun fallacy 😔
██████
██████
██████

Syt

My sister on Facebook asks why Democrats are going gun control crazy now. After all, there were shootings when Obama was in office and had a majority, but they didn't do anything, either. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2019, 12:41:38 AM
My sister on Facebook asks why Democrats are going gun control crazy now. After all, there were shootings when Obama was in office and had a majority, but they didn't do anything, either. :unsure:

Reply back simply with

BBC News - Obama admits US gun laws are his 'biggest frustration'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33646704
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

So, more guns don't seem to solve the problem. I guess the next logical step is to encourage wearing body armor and combat helmets in public?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

This was brought up on ITV this morning (major British TV station), by the Daily Mail editor they pair up most mornings with a leftist tabloid editor to discuss news: why Obama speaks up now he had 8 years to fix this. WTF.

2 more mass shootings and the whole phenomenon will be squarely Obama's doing.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2019, 04:57:26 AM
So, more guns don't seem to solve the problem. I guess the next logical step is to encourage wearing body armor and combat helmets in public?
I think that's hyperbolic.  We are still very far from the situation where we have enough guns to reduce firearm deaths.  Let's first make sure that everyone openly carries an assault rifle before we conclude that more guns don't reduce firearm deaths.

frunk

Quote from: Tamas on August 06, 2019, 05:08:22 AM

This was brought up on ITV this morning (major British TV station), by the Daily Mail editor they pair up most mornings with a leftist tabloid editor to discuss news: why Obama speaks up now he had 8 years to fix this. WTF.

2 more mass shootings and the whole phenomenon will be squarely Obama's doing.

It's like people have the memory of goldfish.  It makes it very easy to excoriate people no matter what they do.

The Minsky Moment

You know I joke about Republicans having no understanding of the Constitution, but it's becoming less and less funny.
The President doesn't make the laws, unless he is Donald Trump and one of his handpicked judges looks the other way.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

But ... but ... he had a majority in both houses at some point!  :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

Which shootings took place during that time? It was almost a decade ago now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 06, 2019, 08:44:05 AM
But ... but ... he had a majority in both houses at some point!  :(

Yeah from 2009-2011. In any case now she is upset that Obama wasn't a totalitarian tyrant who came and took her guns?

Besides it was not a huge majority and it is not like all Democrats are in favor of gun control. But I guess this is what happens when propaganda convinces you all your opponents are identical drones with no differing opinions among them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

Well, she also recently posted an old interview with Obama where he spoke out against illegal immigration and in favor of protecting the borders. She was surprised and asked why Democrats are now against protecting the border and in favor of illegals.  :wacko:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017