News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

I don't think it is a problem that the FBI has dudes ready to be equipped with tactical gear for certain cases.  Obviously they're not rolling around in that gear except in cases like the shooting in El Paso.

That doesn't mean they should look nearly identical (they're using the same camo, and from other pics I've seen, they pretty much use the same set up of patches/insignia, etc) to the military, such that only a trained eye can easily distinguish them.

Threviel

What's the point of camouflaging the armoured car? Scared of aerial attacks?

11B4V

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2019, 06:15:00 AM
On?

If your meaning SWAT,SRT, HRT that is pictured or regular patrol officers. Your pic is not of regular patrol officers.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Threviel on August 04, 2019, 09:41:26 AM

Where in that picture is a camouflaged armoured car?  It's so well-camouflaged as to appear to be invisible (unless it's camouflaged as a fire truck).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 04, 2019, 08:49:16 AM
That doesn't mean they should look nearly identical (they're using the same camo, and from other pics I've seen, they pretty much use the same set up of patches/insignia, etc) to the military, such that only a trained eye can easily distinguish them.

Certainly there are cost advantages to not repainting vehicles and just using military uniforms and gear, but there are also certainly perception-related disadvantages.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

schaksen

Quote from: grumbler on August 04, 2019, 10:29:31 AM

Where in that picture is a camouflaged armoured car?  It's so well-camouflaged as to appear to be invisible (unless it's camouflaged as a fire truck).
It's olive, that does not normally imply police vehicle.
Formerly known as Gumby, this was/is my pdx nick

The Minsky Moment

It says FBI so clearly not a police vehicle nor intended to be.

Not sure what an FBI vehicle is supposed to look like. Black, I guess?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: schaksen on August 04, 2019, 10:34:48 AM

It's olive, that does not normally imply police vehicle.

That's not a normal police vehicle, so I don't know why you assume that "normally" applies to it. 

Olive drab isn't camouflage and the Bearcat isn't an "armoured car."

Here's the same vehicle in Ottawa PD colors:

Here's an Ottawa PD police car:

Do they look the same color to you?

Honestly, the least dubious thing in that picture is the color of the modern Bearcats.

Bayraktar!

Threviel

Pardon my uninformed rambling. What is the point of camouflaging police? And what is the point of having olive coloured militarisch vehicles? To me it looks like a bunch of half-wits playing army, and that is most definitely not what I want police forces to do. 

I get SWAT, there is a point of heavily armed police, but SWAT don't normally look like they are playing army.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Threviel on August 04, 2019, 11:05:11 AM

Pardon my uninformed rambling. What is the point of camouflaging police? And what is the point of having olive coloured militarisch vehicles? To me it looks like a bunch of half-wits playing army, and that is most definitely not what I want police forces to do. 

I get SWAT, there is a point of heavily armed police, but SWAT don't normally look like they are playing army.

There isn't really a point.

To be fair, a fair amount of SWAT teams had tactical gear before, but were content to have it painted solid/blue black.  But there appears to be a  trend, probably since 9/11 or shortly after (or more after the Iraq war, really) for police to just use the stock military gear.  I'm sure it is a fair amount of dudes "playing army", as well as a large amount of dudes who are ex-military (Iraq again is a perfect example...a large share of US cops are vets, so they're used to this gear) and have kept that mentality into police work.  That pick of the FBI dudes?  Take off the FBI logos and that could be 99% identical to a pic of US special forces in Afghanistan.

This is why there is concern about militarizing police.  You get a lot of ex-Iraqi occupation vets who are now in/run police forces, likely going back to old habits.  It's not good for a police force to have an occupation mentality when dealing with their fellow citizens, after all.

As for the vehicles...likely free military surplus.

merithyn

So, other than Benedict Arnold's post,  nothing in the latest shooting? Just whether the police are too militarized?

Welcome to America, where radicalized white men shooting a couple dozen people is so mainstream as to be ignored anymore.

Not blaming you guys. Just sad at that reality.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Threviel

Reading up on it apparently I'm the half-wit and that crap is what heavily armed police looks like.

Syt

Quote from: merithyn on August 04, 2019, 11:22:16 AM
So, other than Benedict Arnold's post,  nothing in the latest shooting? Just whether the police are too militarized?

Welcome to America, where radicalized white men shooting a couple dozen people is so mainstream as to be ignored anymore.

Not blaming you guys. Just sad at that reality.

Sadly, these events seem to barely raise eyebrows anymore. They're on the news one day, gone the next. I feel people may have become dangerously numb since the school shootings.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.