News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US mass shootings megathread

Started by merithyn, July 29, 2019, 12:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

EDIT: Added the OTHER mass shooting yesterday; this one in Brooklyn.

EDIT #2: Two more shootings this weekend: Texas and Ohio. Body count continues to rise. Changed the subject to megathread.

Yet another domestic terrorist (re: "mentally ill" white guy) shoots up a crowd of people. News at 11.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49147369

QuoteThree people have been killed and 15 injured after a gunman attacked a food festival in California.

The gunman was shot dead by police shortly after he began firing, although police are investigating reports that a second suspect may still be at large.

The Gilroy Garlic Festival was about to end for the weekend on Sunday evening, when shots were fired at the site.

Six-year-old Stephen Romero is the first of the dead to be identified. His mother and grandmother were wounded.

His father, Alberto Romero, told Mercury News that he was at home with his nine-year-old daughter when he got the panicked call from his wife.

They had been playing in an inflatable bounce house at the time of the attack, she told him, when the boy was shot in the back.

"I couldn't believe what was happening, that what she was saying was a lie, that maybe I was dreaming," said Mr Romero.

"He was joyful, always wanted to play, always positive," he said, adding that the boy's mother has been placed in a medically induced coma after being shot in the stomach and her mother was being treated for a gunshot wound in the leg.

It was the 246th mass shooting in the US this year, according to US tracking website Gun Violence Archive.

The killer has been identified as 19-year-old Santino William Legan, according to CBS News. Witnesses said he was wearing camouflage, and used a rifle during the attack.

1 killed and 11 injured in shooting at community festival in Brooklyn

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/28/brooklyn-shooting-brownsville-park-neighborhood-event-ends-gunfire/1850795001/

QuoteNEW YORK – A popular community festival was coming to a close when gunfire erupted in a Brooklyn neighborhood, leaving one man dead, another person in critical condition and 10 others wounded, authorities said Sunday as they searched for two shooters they believe were involved.

New York Police Commissioner James O'Neill said the shooting late Saturday in the borough's Brownsville section "was a tragic end to a wonderful weekend" that involved thousands of people gathering to take part in the annual Old Timers Event, which featured musical performances from former residents and current local talent.

The crowd at the celebration was dispersing when gunshots rang out from a playground area in the park where it was taking place, officials said.

Twelve people were hit –– seven men and five women between the ages of 21 and 55. A 38-year-old man died from a bullet wound to the head. His name was not immediately released.

Six of the wounded had been released from the hospital by midday Sunday, O'Neill said.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Nowhere in the article does it say he was mentally ill :hmm:

Anyway what else is new? I am glad the police took him out before more innocent people could be hurt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote"What's going on?" a woman can be heard asking in one video, "who'd shoot up a garlic festival?"

A vampire sympathizer, perhaps? Not even joking - some people have committed murders under the delusion they were vampires.

Though more likely, the purpose of the venue wasn't important, it was just a large gathering of people to shoot at. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

Thoughts and prayers. Let's not politicize this tragedy to push extreme and unconstitutional agendas. :P

:(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2019, 12:28:01 PM

Though more likely, the purpose of the venue wasn't important, it was just a large gathering of people to shoot at. 

Yep. It is not like the other mass shootings typically have some kind of justification about them, even irrational ones.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on July 29, 2019, 12:28:01 PM
Quote"What's going on?" a woman can be heard asking in one video, "who'd shoot up a garlic festival?"

A vampire sympathizer, perhaps? Not even joking - some people have committed murders under the delusion they were vampires.

Richard Chase comes to mind.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2019, 12:23:04 PM

Anyway what else is new? I am glad the police took him out before more innocent people could be hurt.

There are dozens of articles out there, and at least one already has people "opining" that the shooter was mentally ill.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 29, 2019, 12:34:57 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2019, 12:23:04 PM

There are dozens of articles out there, and at least one already has people "opining" that the shooter was mentally ill.

Is there any evidence for that? I would hate to stigmatize this as some kind of mental illness. Plenty of people get radicalized and angry without that.

But I guess if it was, that might point to us finally taking mental issues more seriously. I am not holding my breath though.

Eddie Teach

Seems a fairly safe bet. There's no rational motive for such a thing.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2019, 12:37:52 PM
Is there any evidence for that? I would hate to stigmatize this as some kind of mental illness. Plenty of people get radicalized and angry without that.

But I guess if it was, that might point to us finally taking mental issues more seriously. I am not holding my breath though.

Of course there isn't any evidence that he was mentally ill. But you see, Valmy, it's a white man, so clearly the issue is that he was mentally ill. Only white male shooters are immediately deemed mentally ill, because it can't possibly be that white men can be radicalized and angry.

I was being sarcastic.

Razgovory

Great.  Now when people see me shuffling around and mumbling to myself at the Chinese restaurant they are going to think I've been radicalized. <_<  These fuckwits really need to stop shooting up schools and shit.  Or at least stop blaming people like me for the shootings.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on July 29, 2019, 12:44:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 29, 2019, 12:37:52 PM

Of course there isn't any evidence that he was mentally ill. But you see, Valmy, it's a white man, so clearly the issue is that he was mentally ill. Only white male shooters are immediately deemed mentally ill, because it can't possibly be that white men can be radicalized and angry.

I was being sarcastic.

Gotcha.

I thought being angry was something my melanin-deficient brothers were famous for. Making us angrier is big business.

merithyn

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2019, 12:48:45 PM
Great.  Now when people see me shuffling around and mumbling to myself at the Chinese restaurant they are going to think I've been radicalized. <_<  These fuckwits really need to stop shooting up schools and shit.  Or at least stop blaming people like me for the shootings.

Yes, Raz. They do. For all those reasons and more. :hug:

Eddie Teach

People willing to die so they can pointlessly take out random strangers are nuts, whether they have a "Cause" or not.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

I assumed Meri was referring to the ritual where any white guy shooter is asserted to be suffering from some unspecified "mental illness" as an excuse for doing nothing about gun control.  Gun nuttery not being a recognized diagnosis yet.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson