And we're back!

Main Menu

Meri does Europe - Dec 2019 edition

Started by merithyn, July 25, 2019, 05:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2019, 03:11:56 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 26, 2019, 03:31:50 AM
Looking forward to showing you the wonders of...........drumroll........Preston  :P

I'm dragging Tonitrus with me, so we'll all have a wonderful time, I'm sure. ^_^

Oh right, that sounds good  :cool:

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2019, 03:34:57 PM
Quote from: merithyn on October 28, 2019, 03:11:56 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 26, 2019, 03:31:50 AM
Looking forward to showing you the wonders of...........drumroll........Preston  :P

I'm dragging Tonitrus with me, so we'll all have a wonderful time, I'm sure. ^_^

Oh right, that sounds good  :cool:

Do you have a preference of date? You said after Boxing Day. So, Dec 27, 28, 29, or 30?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Richard Hakluyt

No preferences as such; I'm not sure when various family members are up or down south or whatever. I'm staying up north so whatever fits with your itinerary will be fine for me  :cool:

merithyn

Looks like we'll be adding Edinburgh to the itinerary. :cool:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Syt

Make sure to pronounce it correctly. It's EE-din-boork. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on October 31, 2019, 02:13:05 PM
Looks like we'll be adding Edinburgh to the itinerary. :cool:

I went there when I was twelve, with my dad. I remember it being a very beautiful city, and in particular, I remember the castle there - it's on a towering height overlooking the city.

We also went to Glasgow, mostly from that I remember how the entire city seemed grey and glowering. He got his Doctorate of Science degree from the university there, the reason for the trip. He sure stood out - in a graduation ceremony (in a vast grey stone hall), where everyone else was wearing black robes - he was wearing crimson and yellow.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, Edinburgh is a great city for tourists; relatively small but still a capital and very scenic. Not much daylight in December though.

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2019, 02:42:36 AM
Yes, Edinburgh is a great city for tourists; relatively small but still a capital and very scenic. Not much daylight in December though.

It always freaks me out how far north the UK, and particularly of course Scotland, actually is.

People think of Canada as "the north". But by comparison, Canadians are southerners.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I wish we could have Lyon weather here. (Another city on the 45th north).
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Maximus

I grew up at a similar latitude as Edinburgh and Copenhagen

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on November 01, 2019, 07:51:28 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 01, 2019, 02:42:36 AM

It always freaks me out how far north the UK, and particularly of course Scotland, actually is.

People think of Canada as "the north". But by comparison, Canadians are southerners.

Southern Ontario are southerners.  Toronto is south of the 49th parallel even - apparently down at 43 degrees latitude.

Edmonton is about the same latitude as Edinburgh.

And of course there's much much more of Canada further north than that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Whitehorse and St. Petersburg are about on the same latitude yes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on November 01, 2019, 01:01:33 PM
Whitehorse and St. Petersburg are about on the same latitude yes?

They're about 1 degree apart (Whitehorse being further north).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on November 01, 2019, 12:58:07 PM
Southern Ontario are southerners.  Toronto is south of the 49th parallel even - apparently down at 43 degrees latitude.

Meanwhile, down here at just below 30 degrees I'm a bit below where Marrakesh sits.