News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Trump's True Politics

Started by alfred russel, August 09, 2019, 12:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 14, 2019, 09:54:14 PM
You're right, it's better to perpetually expand until we literally run out of resources.

Economic growth spurs technological growth which in turn increases the the percentage of resources that can be exploited.  Certainly most resources are non-renewable, but the technoligical growth may one day allow use to exploit resources in places that aren't Earth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

PDH

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 15, 2019, 12:02:46 PM
FWIW, there are a lot of contradictory stories out there about how much illegals contribute vs how much they utilize government services. AD didn't come up with that.

There are loads of stories.  Stories are just that, stories - often fanciful.  There are also a lot of studies based on research.  These seem to support the notion that those here illegally:  1) Have a majority who pay taxes (federal, state, local), including social security (even though they will not ever likely see anything from this), and 2) Use public services less than citizens or documented workers (because of fear of being deported).

Texas and California have reported the economic impact of undocumented workers exceeds the costs.  Of course, as has happened many times before, the bugaboo of "Different kind of immigrants" is being raised to show that all these past studies no longer mean anything.  But that card has been played again and again, it is akin to crying wolf.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

FWIW, there are a lot of contradictory stories out there about how much illegals contribute vs how much they utilize government services. AD didn't come up with that.

Plus, AD doesn't seem to distinguish between illegals (who mostly come through airports and overstay visas) and asylum seekers (who are not illegal at all).  I'd say asylum seekers are probably taking more than giving, but that's the very nature of asylum seekers.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on August 15, 2019, 04:43:18 PM

Plus, AD doesn't seem to distinguish between illegals (who mostly come through airports and overstay visas) and asylum seekers (who are not illegal at all).  I'd say asylum seekers are probably taking more than giving, but that's the very nature of asylum seekers.

Asylum seekers are imo preferable because they have no other alternative than to make a go of it in their new country.  Anecdotally one of my partners was a child of a family granted asylum after they left Uganda and one of my clients was part of the Vietnamese Boat People who were granted asylum.   Mobile affluent immigrants on the other hand often leave and in Vancouver help increase the price of real estate while running businesses and earning their money elsewhere.

dps

Quote from: PDH on August 15, 2019, 01:51:13 PM

There are loads of stories.  Stories are just that, stories - often fanciful.  There are also a lot of studies based on research.  These seem to support the notion that those here illegally:  1) Have a majority who pay taxes (federal, state, local), including social security (even though they will not ever likely see anything from this), and 2) Use public services less than citizens or documented workers (because of fear of being deported).

Texas and California have reported the economic impact of undocumented workers exceeds the costs.  Of course, as has happened many times before, the bugaboo of "Different kind of immigrants" is being raised to show that all these past studies no longer mean anything.  But that card has been played again and again, it is akin to crying wolf.

FWIW, as someone who works in the retail sector and has a lot of everyday contact with the general public, I can say that my experience is that Hispanic immigrants are less likely to pay with Food Stamp cards and WIC cards than other groups.