News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Modernity, Religion, Progress

Started by Oexmelin, July 19, 2019, 07:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Perhaps it would be suitable to move that discussion here / stop hijacking the UK Conservative leadership thread?
Que le grand cric me croque !

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 19, 2019, 07:29:38 PM
Perhaps it would be suitable to move that discussion here / stop hijacking the UK Conservative leadership thread?

Yes.

Perhaps the mind is similar to a 3 or 4 ft length of wood, if used as a yard stick to measure the world at large and oneself, then it's a philosophical tool.

If used as crutch to prop up a fragile self or uncompromising ego, it has some characteristics of a religion.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Oexmelin

Quote from: mongers on July 19, 2019, 08:34:35 PM
Perhaps the mind is similar to a 3 or 4 ft length of wood, if used as a yard stick to measure the world at large and oneself, then it's a philosophical tool.

If used as crutch to prop up a fragile self or uncompromising ego, it has some characteristics of a religion.

It's a little unsettling that I wasn't sure for a moment if you were discussing religion, or Brexit... :P
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Who are you talking about? Don't be coy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 19, 2019, 08:36:11 PM

It's a little unsettling that I wasn't sure for a moment if you were discussing religion, or Brexit... :P

Well it now has some of the elements of one, including the ritual enunciation* of 'The Democratic Will Of The British People' etc. 

* it's rather late here, so can't put my finger on a word meaning a religious refrain / sacrament.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Oexmelin on July 19, 2019, 07:29:38 PM

Yes.

Metric please, if we are to talk about modernity and progress.  :P

Malthus

From the other thread:

My argument that "Confucianism (and especially Neo-Confucianism) was, for all intents and purposes, a religion" is not, obviously, an argument that it was literally, a religion, any more that my argument that Marxism was one, even though many of its followers acted pretty much exactly like it was one.

Neo-Confucianism took a lot of the mystical elements of Taoism, in particular the concept of a separate "heaven" that acted, not in accordance with the will of some 'gods' or other, but, rather, as a force in the universe much like gravity - pervasive, but not completely understood.  The tenets of Neo-Confucianism were not subject to change through observation and correction; they were based on universal truths (including the truth that ritual had an impact on the environment, and not just the person engaging in the ritual).  The key to understanding the burden the Confucianism to some extent, and Neo-Confucianism to a greater extent, placed on modernization was that the Chinese were sure they had the answer to the problems of society, and so were dismissive of any knowledge or progress that didn't bring them closer to that answer.  That's what religions effectively do to retard progress.

I have no problem with the argument that Neo-Confucianism retarded progress.

The problem I have with this is that it distorts the meaning of the term "religion". Agreed that ideology that is unchallenged can be a roadblock to progress - any ideology - but I do not agree that "religion" is, for all intents and purposes, 'an ideology that is unchallenged'. Some things are religions yet are subject to challenge - such as mysticism (in its true meaning); some are non-religious ideologies, not subject to challenge. In many cases, such as that of England in the decades after the English Civil War, religions were subject to challenge - simply by circumstances (a great deal of competition that could not be completely silenced).

To take an example - Neo-Confucianism, as described in the previous links, used the doctrine of the five elements to categorize the universe. This isn't all that different from, say, the doctrine of the four humours in medicine. Yet it would be odd to say the least to categorize the doctrine of the four humours as a "religion", rather than a pseudo-science.

In summary - I believe that it is not 'religion' per se that is harmful to progress, but rather any situation in which an ideology exists that becomes impervious to challenge for some reason or other - whether because it resists violently any heterodoxy, like Wahhabi Islam; or because it becomes embedded as the governing philosophy of an empire, like Neo-Confucianism; or because of its great antiquity it is held in exaggerated esteem, like the four humours theory in medicine.

In contrast, a 'religion' that is subject to constant challenge and competition is no bar to progress, even if it has the most wacky beliefs.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2019, 09:57:43 AM
From the other thread:

My argument that "Confucianism (and especially Neo-Confucianism) was, for all intents and purposes, a religion" is not, obviously, an argument that it was literally, a religion, any more that my argument that Marxism was one, even though many of its followers acted pretty much exactly like it was one.

Neo-Confucianism took a lot of the mystical elements of Taoism, in particular the concept of a separate "heaven" that acted, not in accordance with the will of some 'gods' or other, but, rather, as a force in the universe much like gravity - pervasive, but not completely understood.  The tenets of Neo-Confucianism were not subject to change through observation and correction; they were based on universal truths (including the truth that ritual had an impact on the environment, and not just the person engaging in the ritual).  The key to understanding the burden the Confucianism to some extent, and Neo-Confucianism to a greater extent, placed on modernization was that the Chinese were sure they had the answer to the problems of society, and so were dismissive of any knowledge or progress that didn't bring them closer to that answer.  That's what religions effectively do to retard progress.

I have no problem with the argument that Neo-Confucianism retarded progress.

The problem I have with this is that it distorts the meaning of the term "religion". Agreed that ideology that is unchallenged can be a roadblock to progress - any ideology - but I do not agree that "religion" is, for all intents and purposes, 'an ideology that is unchallenged'. Some things are religions yet are subject to challenge - such as mysticism (in its true meaning); some are non-religious ideologies, not subject to challenge. In many cases, such as that of England in the decades after the English Civil War, religions were subject to challenge - simply by circumstances (a great deal of competition that could not be completely silenced).

To take an example - Neo-Confucianism, as described in the previous links, used the doctrine of the five elements to categorize the universe. This isn't all that different from, say, the doctrine of the four humours in medicine. Yet it would be odd to say the least to categorize the doctrine of the four humours as a "religion", rather than a pseudo-science.

In summary - I believe that it is not 'religion' per se that is harmful to progress, but rather any situation in which an ideology exists that becomes impervious to challenge for some reason or other - whether because it resists violently any heterodoxy, like Wahhabi Islam; or because it becomes embedded as the governing philosophy of an empire, like Neo-Confucianism; or because of its great antiquity it is held in exaggerated esteem, like the four humours theory in medicine.

In contrast, a 'religion' that is subject to constant challenge and competition is no bar to progress, even if it has the most wacky beliefs.

Indeed.

At issue is the something that actively* suppress other people's reasoning, be that evangelical Islam, the inquisition/mediaeval Catholic church, communism or capitalist orthodoxy .

* or in effect does, such that the costs of challenging received 'wisdom' are personally or economically costly.

Valmy

Absolutely right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Exactly my point.  Something "impervious to challenge" is, effectively, a religion.  It is believed because it is the received wisdom, and cannot  be challenged because it was devised by something "far wiser than us."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

"Religion" is a fairly hard term to pin-down.  It encompasses the complex theology of the Catholic Church as well as the Animist who thanks the trees for giving up their fruit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2019, 05:46:50 PM
"Religion" is a fairly hard term to pin-down.  It encompasses the complex theology of the Catholic Church as well as the Animist who thanks the trees for giving up their fruit.

Yeah the line between religion and superstition and philosophy and all gets rather blurry. But do we really need to get bogged down in semantics?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.