What work had the greatest influence on your life

Started by Savonarola, July 19, 2019, 02:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

On the episode of Bret Easton Ellis's podcast I recently listened to, he had Illeana Douglas as a guest.  She said that her parents had been a typical middle class suburban couple in Connecticut until they saw "Easy Rider."  After which they dropped out, started a commune and lived off of food stamps.  FREEDOM!

She also said her father, and every other man in the commune, wanted to be Dennis Hopper; not a Peter Fonda or Jack Nicholson among them.

Have you ever had a life changing reaction to a work of art?  (Not necessarily as major as that.)

I think that reading "On the Road" encouraged me to travel and later to write about my travels.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

I wish I could claim some life-changing revelation as the result of an inspiring work of high art or philosophy.

But no - right now, the most influential work for me is a Disney children's TV show, that got me to take up drawing as a hobby. Dunno if that counts.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

North by Northwest.

It was my first day at film school, and I had this teacher that made a shot-for-shot analysis of the first 30 minutes of the film. Hitchcock's mise-en-scene is sheer genius, and I knew nothing "scholarly" about movies at the time (I just really really really liked them), so it totally blew up my mind. It changed the way I watch movies forever.

It remains one of my favorite films. There was even this Halloween where I dressed as Tornhill/Kaplan putting on a suit and attaching a toy airplane on a wire to my back  :P

Barrister

Embarrassing, but I wanted to be a lawyer because LA Law made it seem like a cool career when I was a kid.

Obviously by the time I went to law school the show was long off the air and generally out of my mind, but it started me to thinking about it...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Camerus

Reading The Richest Man in Babylon in my early twenties had a dramatic impact on my behaviour, although it hardly qualifies as a work of high culture.

As a black sheep I felt existential comfort after reading Bukowski's Post Office.

Monoriu

Can't think of anything major.  Nothing really changed my plan to study and find a job to achieve financial independence. 

If I really have to say something, then it is "greed is good".  Obviously I agree with it. 

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2019, 03:27:22 PM
Embarrassing, but I wanted to be a lawyer because LA Law made it seem like a cool career when I was a kid.
This is probably true of like half the lawyers of your generation. :D

I read an article the other day about the 'Scully Effect'... apparently a huge number of women were inspired to go into the sciences and/or medicine by Agent Scully. :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

My answer is going to sound much more ridiculous, but here goes: Superman III.

Why?  Because I had just gotten a Commodore 64 when I saw that movie, and if you recall Richard Pryor played a computer nerd con man who was able to do all kinds of neat stuff with computers.... so seeing it made me wonder if I could program on my C64, and lo and behold I could!  So that's why I started teaching myself how to code on the Commodore, and now I've been doing it for decades (though mostly I code in SQL now...)

I never really thought about it before this thread and it took me a while to come up with an answer, thinking back to what started to push me in the direction of my career.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

Probably Carl Sagan's Cosmos. I was a small kid, and it was aired well past bedtime, but my father would let me stay late to watch it. It was my first window into science and history.

Josquius

It would probably be something at an early age, that being where people are made.
I'll say Thomas the Tank Engine.
To this day I curse Beaching and privatisation.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Tyr on July 20, 2019, 01:12:34 PM
It would probably be something at an early age, that being where people are made.
I'll say Thomas the Tank Engine.
To this day I curse Beaching and privatisation.

If you find yourself ordered around by a "Fat Controller", I'd suggest counselling. Unless you enjoy it.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

saskganesh

As a teenager, I found a little book in the library called "How to Live on Nothing" which was  an idea I had never heard before. Not that being poor is a good idea, but what was important to me was the radical concept that there's a lot of ways to have a rich, interesting and good life outside of the social norm.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on July 21, 2019, 12:50:27 PM
As a teenager, I found a little book in the library called "How to Live on Nothing" which was  an idea I had never heard before. Not that being poor is a good idea, but what was important to me was the radical concept that there's a lot of ways to have a rich, interesting and good life outside of the social norm.

:cool:

I might well check that out.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"