News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Iceland moves towards joining the EU

Started by Zanza, July 16, 2009, 09:34:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

See, Alatriste, you make me want to join...

Then there will be conservatards.
And spending money on Sarko.

I am on the fence.

Alatriste

Quote from: Norgy on July 20, 2009, 02:39:06 AM
See, Alatriste, you make me want to join...

Then there will be conservatards.
And spending money on Sarko.

I am on the fence.

Uh? Spending money on Sarko? What do you mean with that, French peasants and CAP? Actually France is a net contributor... not by much, but the French pay more than they receive.

This BBC page explains it very well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8036097.stm

France net yearly contribution reachs rougly 2 billions euros, and is set to get quite higher in 2007-2013 as the transitory period ends and the new Eastern members are treated just like the old ones (in the same period Spain will change from being one of the highest receivers to equilibrium, and from 2013 we will very probably become net contributors).

Jos Theelen

I am on the fence.

Many Americans are annoyed, because the EU isn't failing.

Is that a good argument?

Viking

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 20, 2009, 07:21:47 AM
I am on the fence.

Many Americans are annoyed, because the EU isn't failing.

Is that a good argument?

The Americans love the EU! At least the US Government loves the EU. Kissinger's single phone number for Europe is being realized.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

QuoteTiny Iceland's recent history is a parable of globalisation.

I love how everything is a lesson in why keeping huge subsidies on agriculture is a good idea.

Protectionism will keep us all safe!  Economic problems never happened before people started trading freely!  Save yourselves!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jos Theelen

Quote from: Viking on July 20, 2009, 07:26:49 AM
The Americans love the EU! At least the US Government loves the EU. Kissinger's single phone number for Europe is being realized.

The US government loves the EU. But the common American??

Valmy

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 20, 2009, 08:00:01 AM

The common American has no opinion as they don't give a shit about things happening outside of America....and really don't give that much of a shit about the things happening inside of America.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2009, 08:05:03 AM
Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 20, 2009, 08:00:01 AM

The common American has no opinion as they don't give a shit about things happening outside of America....and really don't give that much of a shit about the things happening inside of America.

I'll be damned if I recognize Missouri!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jos Theelen

They would love to hear about things happening outside of America. But sadly the media aren't interested in those things:

Valmy

Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 20, 2009, 09:12:21 AM
They would love to hear about things happening outside of America. But sadly the media aren't interested in those things:

I wish that were true.

All private media simply have to meet demand and there is no demand for international news.  People who want that have to rely on public and non-profit news and/or foreign news services.

But...I have my suspicion this is sort of similar in other countries also.  I have a hard time imagining the average French family being all interested in events in Mongolia.

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on July 20, 2009, 09:18:00 AM
Quote from: Jos Theelen on July 20, 2009, 09:12:21 AM

I wish that were true.

All private media simply have to meet demand and there is no demand for international news.  People who want that have to rely on public and non-profit news and/or foreign news services.

But...I have my suspicion this is sort of similar in other countries also.  I have a hard time imagining the average French family being all interested in events in Mongolia.

W.I. there were 30,000 French soldiers in Mongolia. Would they care then?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

:swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.