Started by Caliga, July 09, 2019, 09:40:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on July 09, 2019, 09:40:18 AM
Dead at 89. :(

:(

Spring-summer of 1992 I was quite taken with the man.  Turned out to be a loon, of course.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

It's still crazy to think that for awhile in 1992 Perot was leading both Bush and Clinton in the polls.  There've been lots of 3rd party candidates over the years, but none were ever a threat to win the darn thing besides Perot.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 09:59:55 AM
It's still crazy to think that for awhile in 1992 Perot was leading both Bush and Clinton in the polls.  There've been lots of 3rd party candidates over the years, but none were ever a threat to win the darn thing besides Perot.

The Cold War was ending and we were eager for a big shift in politics and a return to the good old pre-WWII days. People were really nervous about Bush wanting to take the opportunity to preserve the international system and make us continue to be responsible for everything. Perot promised a balanced budget and peaceful future...but then turned out to be a nut.

I sure wish Bush had won that election. Ah well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

But Bush didn't feel our pain. :(

The Larch

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 10:02:42 AMI sure wish Bush had won that election. Ah well.

Really? Rather than Clinton?

Valmy

Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2019, 12:42:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 10:02:42 AMI sure wish Bush had won that election. Ah well.

Yes. I may be wrong about this but I feel like most of the things Clinton did that I liked Bush would have done something similar. Clinton's downsides were pretty bad. He is kind of like if Donald Trump was a good statesman.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on July 09, 2019, 12:49:51 PM
Quote from: The Larch on July 09, 2019, 12:42:29 PM

Yes. I may be wrong about this but I feel like most of the things Clinton did that I liked Bush would have done something similar. Clinton's downsides were pretty bad. He is kind of like if Donald Trump was a good statesman.

The good thing that Clinton did was to help (briefly) balance the budget.  On that point I'm not as sure if Bush41 would have been able to do the same.  A democrat trying to balance the budget had a way of helping to silence opposition on the left that Bush wouldn't have had.

I would like to think however that Bush wouldn't have dithered over Bosnia for so many years and we might have seen a faster resolution to that problem.

It's an interesting what if though... if Clinton had lost in '92 he would go back to being an obscure regional politician (much like Dukakis), but then so would his wife, and the history of the next 25+ years in US politics would have been so different.

And after 8 years of Bush41, it seems impossible to imagine his son running for President just 4 years later.

Valmy

Bush's tax increase helped Clinton balance the budget and was a big reason he lost in 1992. So he still might have balanced it. Who knows?

I thought at the time 1992 was a very depressing year politically, but then 2016 made it seem like a happy memory.

Threviel

Roosevelt?

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 01:09:59 PM

Roosevelt?

Well I don't think they had public opinion polls in 1912, but I don't think Roosevelt ever had much chance of winning back then.  He just split the GOP vote and allowed Wilson the easy victory.

Threviel

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2019, 01:13:44 PM
Quote from: Threviel on July 09, 2019, 01:09:59 PM

Roosevelt?

Well I don't think they had public opinion polls in 1912, but I don't think Roosevelt ever had much chance of winning back then.  He just split the GOP vote and allowed Wilson the easy victory.

Sounds familiar.