The Peasant's Crusade
12 (85.7%)
The Pauper's Crusade
2 (14.3%)
The Popular Crusade
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Savonarola

I was listening to the "History of the Crusades" podcast.  The narratrix referred to the expedition led by Peter the Hermit as "The Peasant's Crusade," but she explained at the end of the episode that most modern scholarship refers to the event as "The People's Crusade."  When I had first started reading about the crusades most of the books referred to it as "The Peasant's Crusade," and that's been my preference since; but "The People's Crusade" is probably more accurate as there were some fighting men on the crusade, not just peasants.  (Though "People's Crusade", to me, makes it sound like it should be led by Dennis the Constitutional Peasant and the council of his Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune.)

(The other two choices come from Wikipedia, I've never encountered them elsewhere.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

People's Crusade? No that just doesn't work at all. It sounds like they are trying to seize power from the Muslim Bourgeoisie
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

The People's Crusade sounds inadvertently hilarious.  :D

I've always known it as the "Peasant's Crusade". 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Over here I've always heard "the paupers' crusade" (cruzada de los pobres) but scholarly referred simply as "Peter the Hermit's crusade" (cruzada de Pedro el Ermitaño).

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on June 21, 2019, 12:23:04 PM
I was listening to the "History of the Crusades" podcast.  The narratrix referred to the expedition led by Peter the Hermit as "The Peasant's Crusade," but she explained at the end of the episode that most modern scholarship refers to the event as "The People's Crusade."  When I had first started reading about the crusades most of the books referred to it as "The Peasant's Crusade," and that's been my preference since; but "The People's Crusade" is probably more accurate as there were some fighting men on the crusade, not just peasants.  (Though "People's Crusade", to me, makes it sound like it should be led by Dennis the Constitutional Peasant and the council of his Anarcho-Syndicalist Commune.)

(The other two choices come from Wikipedia, I've never encountered them elsewhere.)
Always heard/read "Peasant's crusade".  It does not exclude that there would be fighters too, just like it was not excluded in other crusades that there could have been peasants with fighters, it was just not the bulk for the force, well the movement.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 12:26:42 PM
People's Crusade? No that just doesn't work at all. It sounds like they are trying to seize power from the Muslim Bourgeoisie

I'm no expert on the crusades but the medieval and renaissance periods did have a fair amount of utopian proto communist movements so.... Wouldnt be that far fetched.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 02:24:14 PM

I'm no expert on the crusades but the medieval and renaissance periods did have a fair amount of utopian proto communist movements so.... Wouldnt be that far fetched.

Yes it would be far fetched (and the Renaissance? WTF? three hundred years later?) but even if it were not, we are not talking about these imaginary movements now are we? We are talking about the Peasant's Crusade.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 02:33:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 21, 2019, 02:24:14 PM

Yes it would be far fetched (and the Renaissance? WTF? three hundred years later?) but even if it were not, we are not talking about these imaginary movements now are we? We are talking about the Peasant's Crusade.
They aren't imaginary, they're pretty accepted to have existed. The German peasants war is the most prominent example.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

:wub: Going radical à la Saint-Just/Robespierre...  :lol:

dps

Quote from: Savonarola on June 21, 2019, 12:23:04 PM

Grumbler refers to it as "my trip to Anatolia".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

Peasant's Crusade, to go along with the title of the one after: the Princes' Crusade.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2019, 01:11:39 PM
Over here I've always heard "the paupers' crusade" (cruzada de los pobres) but scholarly referred simply as "Peter the Hermit's crusade" (cruzada de Pedro el Ermitaño).

As an aside, Walter Sans Avoir is sometimes (mis)translated into English as "Walter the Penniless". 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock