The Vatican
3 (6.4%)
Venezuela
4 (8.5%)
other
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Monoriu

They are what they are.  We need to adapt to their existence and stop being creeped out.  It is all part of reality and part of life. 

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2019, 02:19:40 PM
They are what they are.  We need to adapt to their existence and stop being creeped out.  It is all part of reality and part of life. 

Being creeped out is how I adapt to their existence. I don't see the pressing need to not be creeped out by things. There are many things in life and reality that cause people to be creeped out, there must be a good and natural reason for that. Why do you reject nature, Mono?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2019, 01:32:25 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2019, 01:06:03 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2019, 12:57:03 PM
The easy three to choose were Russia, North Korea and China.

The next level would be Turkey, Hungary, Venezuela and Poland - but I didn't see Poland.

Saudi Arabia out-creeps Russia by a fair bit.

Interesting.  Russia was by far my first choice .  They invaded the Ukraine, they are actively attempting (and succeeding) to undermine democratic institutions and elections around the world.  And they are a kleptocracy with nuclear weapons.   What makes Saudi Arabia more significant for you?

I'd rather be a subject of the Russian regime than Saudi Arabia's, by far. That was my metric.

Not that I'd cherish either prospect.

Monoriu

Quote from: Valmy on June 21, 2019, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on June 21, 2019, 02:19:40 PM

Being creeped out is how I adapt to their existence. I don't see the pressing need to not be creeped out by things. There are many things in life and reality that cause people to be creeped out, there must be a good and natural reason for that. Why do you reject nature, Mono?

I don't think being creeped out is a particularly pleasant experience.  I am only creeped out by things that I consider abnormal.  Whether something is normal or not largely exists in my mind, so it is something I can control.  If I consider something to be normal, then I stop being creeped out, and that's a good thing. 

Valmy

I could live in either Saudi Arabia or Russia and not see another person for months. So both of those countries at least have that going for them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Creepiest regime is not the same as most dangerous or most reprehensible, in my mind.  Creepy to me is more about arbitrariness and random acts of violence or oppression.

Saudi Arabia has to be one of the creepiest.  Not just murdering guests in its embassies and dismembering the corpses so the pieces could be smuggled out, but random executions of people for apostasy when their neighbors just dislike them, and a generally morally corrupt political and judicial system.  Gotta acknowledge the power of the Palantir to corrupt.

North Korea is the post child for creepy.  Any list it doesn't top should be ignored.

I selected the Philippines for my third, though there were some other strong candidates.  It's another place where murder is condoned, so long as the perp claims the victim is a drug dealer or an addict.  No proof needed.  Also condoned in advance rape by his soldiers of Muslim women.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 21, 2019, 01:59:50 PM

USA, because the Donald Trump regime is not centered around Donald Trump, it is a newish current in US politics that many people really like.  For all their aversion to facism, they do love a dysfunctional state run by an ego-maniac.

I thought you would be more sympathetic to your fellow Nationalists.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

I gotta agree completely with the grumbler.

Russia/China have terrible regimes...but the word "creepy" just doesn't really fit.

Camerus

In addition to what grumbler wrote, I'd also define "creepy" as a regime that peddles a bizarre or ludicrously false ideology.

I only voted for North Korea, but did consider a couple other choices.

Russia and China's regimes OTOH don't qualify because they seem more like natural manifestations of historical cultures, and thus not particularly odd or creepy within local logic.

Iormlund

Most of the candidates are relatively vanilla flavors of evil, and can't exert that much influence abroad.

I voted Chine due to its use of technology to control their citizens. I voted the US due to the rising populism and the gradual erosion of freedom (civil forfeiture, cop murders, electronic surveillance).

The Minsky Moment

Saudis hands down, but Pakistan should definitely be in the running.  LOTS of messed up things there.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 21, 2019, 05:39:52 PM
Saudis hands down, but Pakistan should definitely be in the running.  LOTS of messed up things there.

Yeah, Pakistan was #4 on my list.  Another place where the rule of law is deliberately ignored by officials.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I agree wholeheartedly on Saudi Arabia.  The biggest reason being their longtime support of Wahhabism.

Nukes still pose the greatest threat, but they're currently like a long-dormant super volcano (ala the Yellowstone caldera).  Wahhabism and its affect on a major world religion (as the Inquisition was in its day) is a constant, ongoing misery against humanity now and will be well into the future.

The Brain

"Creep out" is a lot different from a number of other negative things about something. The Vatican got on my voting list because I find a state based on pedophilia creepy af, but I don't think The Vatican is particularly dangerous compared to many others on the list.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.