The Vatican
3 (6.4%)
Venezuela
4 (8.5%)
other
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Maladict

Basically, which current regimes creep you out the most? Pick up to three.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Richard Hakluyt

There is a plethora of choices there ..... this is going to be difficult  :hmm:

Valmy

China is kind of terrifying because they are showing how modern technology can be used to make authoritarian states of the future better at managing every aspect of your life.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

how am I the first person to vote for Russia?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

The easy three to choose were Russia, North Korea and China.

The next level would be Turkey, Hungary, Venezuela and Poland - but I didn't see Poland.

Maladict

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 21, 2019, 12:57:03 PM

The next level would be Turkey, Hungary, Venezuela and Poland - but I didn't see Poland.

Yeah, Poland should have been there, and Syria instead of Iraq.

celedhring

Saudi Arabia out-creeps Russia by a fair bit.

Maladict

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2019, 01:06:03 PM

Definitely, that was my first pick.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on June 21, 2019, 01:06:03 PM

Interesting.  Russia was by far my first choice .  They invaded the Ukraine, they are actively attempting (and succeeding) to undermine democratic institutions and elections around the world.  And they are a kleptocracy with nuclear weapons.   What makes Saudi Arabia more significant for you?

Malthus

I see Canada got a vote!  :D

No wonder, what with our PM admitting he's currently committing genocide and all ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on June 21, 2019, 01:33:18 PM
I see Canada got a vote!  :D

No wonder, what with our PM admitting he's currently committing genocide and all ...  ;)

No one suspects the quiet guy in the corner :ph34r:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Oexmelin

I read creepy and reprehensible as two different things: some reprehensible regimes have been familiar for a while now: North Korea is certainly creepy but it's also a kind of familiar Stalinist regime. China is more creepy precisely because its imperial project, and its ambitions of control brings a whole new level to the challenges to democracy, and democratic principles. I also find China creepy because its soft diplomacy has done wonders for many years. While Saudi Arabia is familiar, I find it creepy because it epitomizes the corruption of aristocracy / ploutocracy. And while Hungary is not, by far, on the same level as both of these regimes, I find it creepy because it's offering itself as a roadmap to the future of liberalism.
Que le grand cric me croque !

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on June 21, 2019, 12:18:07 PM
Basically, which current regimes creep you out the most? Pick up to three.
Venezuela, USA, Hungary.

Venezuela, because even in its dysfunctional state, it is fucking up politics in South America and inspiring other regimes: they achieved power, so can we!  It's been giving wings to all kinds of communist offshoots everywhere.

USA, because the Donald Trump regime is not centered around Donald Trump, it is a newish current in US politics that many people really like.  For all their aversion to facism, they do love a dysfunctional state run by an ego-maniac.

Hungary, because such a racist regime on the fringe of Europe is akin to Venezuela in South America: it inspires others of its kinds in a "so can we too" way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.