South Korea
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2019, 02:59:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
This is just a version of John Rawl's Veil of ignorance - what kind of society would you want to be born into if you didn't know what kind of starting position you would be born into.

The knock on Canada of course is that you have a 1 in 20 chance of being born First Nations, with all the baggage that can come from that.  So is that the country you would rather choose?  Or do you choose a more egalitarian, and more homogenous country - perhaps Iceland or South Korea?  Lichtenstein is tempting as the per capita GDP there is something ridiculous (quick check - apparently $141,000).

I didn't vote for it (woops) but Liechtenstein would be my choice.

If you thought Switzerland was dull, it has nothing on Lichtenstein though.  It definitely would be safe though.

Trouble is it is entirely dependent on the finance industry.  All it would take is one big financial round of reforms to get rid of tax havens and their industry would be demolished.  Sure no near-term likelihood of that happening, but over a human lifetime?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2019, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:48:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
:frog:

You have a 1 in 10 chance of being born into a family of north african origin, and likely living in a banlieue.

Pstt banlieues include wealthy suburbs too, and non north african people live there too, in fewer numbers thanks to the disruption brought by immigrants non willing to integrate or assimilate.
Not to mention that a banlieue now is much better than what it used to be before the high rising social projects were built (slums).
As for 1 in 10, not even Le Pen goes that far.

You can argue the numbers (I have no idea, I found it on a quick google search, might be wrong), but the point is that under this kind of Veil of Ignorance exercise, you run the risk of being amongst that country's poorest.  So do you want a country where on average people do very well?  Or do you want to minimize your downside risk?

I think I'm going to go with... Finland.

Grinning_Colossus

I was going to vote for The Greatest Country in the World, but then I saw the question, so I voted Norway.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 03:08:28 PM
Quote from: Tyr on June 18, 2019, 02:59:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
This is just a version of John Rawl's Veil of ignorance - what kind of society would you want to be born into if you didn't know what kind of starting position you would be born into.

The knock on Canada of course is that you have a 1 in 20 chance of being born First Nations, with all the baggage that can come from that.  So is that the country you would rather choose?  Or do you choose a more egalitarian, and more homogenous country - perhaps Iceland or South Korea?  Lichtenstein is tempting as the per capita GDP there is something ridiculous (quick check - apparently $141,000).

I didn't vote for it (woops) but Liechtenstein would be my choice.

If you thought Switzerland was dull, it has nothing on Lichtenstein though.  It definitely would be safe though.

Trouble is it is entirely dependent on the finance industry.  All it would take is one big financial round of reforms to get rid of tax havens and their industry would be demolished.  Sure no near-term likelihood of that happening, but over a human lifetime?

Oh yeah, for sure, its basically just a small Swiss county.
But may you live in uninteresting times and all that. Growing up rich I can always move out.

I don't see Swiss (and Liechtensteiner) mega-wealth continuing for more than a decade into the future, but I think they're pretty secure as a decent first world country as long as there is such a thing.
██████
██████
██████

Habbaku

Liechtenstein of course. If I can't pick Wakanda, I'll go with Catholic Wakanda.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

But presumably any skilled Liechtensteiner would be able to travel and work abroad as well. They'll have the education and the languages necessary to go just about anywhere.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

OK who's the retard??!?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 03:11:30 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2019, 03:00:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:48:11 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
:frog:

You have a 1 in 10 chance of being born into a family of north african origin, and likely living in a banlieue.

Pstt banlieues include wealthy suburbs too, and non north african people live there too, in fewer numbers thanks to the disruption brought by immigrants non willing to integrate or assimilate.
Not to mention that a banlieue now is much better than what it used to be before the high rising social projects were built (slums).
As for 1 in 10, not even Le Pen goes that far.

You can argue the numbers (I have no idea, I found it on a quick google search, might be wrong), but the point is that under this kind of Veil of Ignorance exercise, you run the risk of being amongst that country's poorest.  So do you want a country where on average people do very well?  Or do you want to minimize your downside risk?

I think I'm going to go with... Finland.

Banlieues, or rather ethnic enclaves not willing to integrate, get more taxpayer money than provincial, small town "hinterland" France. They also get a very lax police response for all the trouble they make, unlike yellow vests. In a Parisian banlieue you are much closer to culture and opportunities, and need no (diesel) car to go around (big no-no for Macro and his clique recently).

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on June 18, 2019, 03:14:35 PM

But presumably any skilled Liechtensteiner would be able to travel and work abroad as well. They'll have the education and the languages necessary to go just about anywhere.

Do Leichtensteiners have the ability to live and work in the rest of europe?  I know they are in the EEA and Schengen, but obviously not in the EU.

The Brain

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 03:19:11 PM

Do Leichtensteiners have the ability to live and work in the rest of europe?

They're rich and white.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 18, 2019, 03:17:25 PM
And get a very a lax police response for all the trouble they make, unlike yellow vests.

That part of the problem, isn't it? Trying to be an upstanding, upwardly-mobile citizen will get you mugged and assaulted.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 03:19:11 PM

Do Leichtensteiners have the ability to live and work in the rest of europe?  I know they are in the EEA and Schengen, but obviously not in the EU.

If they are part of both the EEA and Schengen, they can work and live in the EU. Being part of the EEA alone does give that ability.

Admiral Yi

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on June 18, 2019, 03:17:12 PM
OK who's the retard??!?

Wait, which one's the retard option? Sweden?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 18, 2019, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:46:59 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on June 18, 2019, 02:41:33 PM
Norway would probably be the safest bet.

That would be a close second.  Weather, food and beaches/ski hills are better in Vancouver.

Which reminds me - I would need to specify Vancouver.

Too late.........off to Nunavut you go!

Doh!!!