Italy
0 (0%)
South Korea
0 (0%)
Other
2 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Josquius

You wake up one morning to bright lights and harp music. As your vision clears you see that you are standing on clouds that stretch off into the horizon as far as the eye can see. The only feature in this cloudy desert is a large golden gate, in front of which stands an old bearded guy with a halo, a concerned look across his face as he examines a clipboard.
"Your name isn't Wendy Chan is it? No, I thought not...Oh bum, it's happened again"

He hands you a form and explains:
"Ever since we privatised collections this has started happening more than ever. Long story short; you're dead. Woops. You're not meant to be but we've collected the wrong person and there's no way to send you back." you don't really have time to think or read the form before he continues "Since its not your time yet we don't really have space for you...and, well, we sold off limbo years ago. So, we've developed a bit of a work around."
He points to the form "All your details are here, the only thing you have to worry about is this box here. You're going to be reincarnated. You're going to be a human. Don't worry about that. But everything else is rather a coin toss I'm afraid; gender, wealth of your parents, DNA, etcetera. About the only thing we can give you a choice in, is in which nation you'll be born on the 1st July 2019. So. Write it in the box there."
"Oh. And in case you're thinking of trying something smart, if you don't write an actual nation that exists you'll be given something random. Don't be like that kid who put Wakanda. The guys in admin don't have a sense of humour and they gave him North Korea. Any questions? No. Great. Get writing. Here's a quill shaped biro."
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

"Don't be like that kid who put Wakanda"   :lol:

In that case, I would happily come back to Canada  :)

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:32:40 PM
In that case, I would happily come back to Canada  :)

:Canuck:

Australia would be cool too, but its too hot
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Iormlund

Norway would probably be the safest bet.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Iormlund on June 18, 2019, 02:41:33 PM

If you like fossil fuels and social conservatism it's great.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

This is just a version of John Rawl's Veil of ignorance - what kind of society would you want to be born into if you didn't know what kind of starting position you would be born into.

The knock on Canada of course is that you have a 1 in 20 chance of being born First Nations, with all the baggage that can come from that.  So is that the country you would rather choose?  Or do you choose a more egalitarian, and more homogenous country - perhaps Iceland or South Korea?  Lichtenstein is tempting as the per capita GDP there is something ridiculous (quick check - apparently $141,000).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

That would be a close second.  Weather, food and beaches/ski hills are better in Vancouver.

Which reminds me - I would need to specify Vancouver.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2019, 02:42:36 PM
:frog:

You have a 1 in 10 chance of being born into a family of north african origin, and likely living in a banlieue. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

But if you lived in Lichtenstein you would under tyrannical monarchist rule. Under those circumstances would your giant pile of money be sufficient solace?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:48:11 PM

You have a 1 in 10 chance of being born into a family of north african origin, and likely living in a banlieue. 

At least the food would be good.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:46:59 PM

That would be a close second.  Weather, food and beaches/ski hills are better in Vancouver.

Too late.........off to Nunavut you go!

HVC

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 18, 2019, 02:50:10 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 18, 2019, 02:46:59 PM

Too late.........off to Nunavut you go!

We sent one of our workers there for a month... he did not have fun :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:45:45 PM
This is just a version of John Rawl's Veil of ignorance - what kind of society would you want to be born into if you didn't know what kind of starting position you would be born into.

The knock on Canada of course is that you have a 1 in 20 chance of being born First Nations, with all the baggage that can come from that.  So is that the country you would rather choose?  Or do you choose a more egalitarian, and more homogenous country - perhaps Iceland or South Korea?  Lichtenstein is tempting as the per capita GDP there is something ridiculous (quick check - apparently $141,000).

I didn't vote for it (woops) but Liechtenstein would be my choice.
I can just see it now.

20 years later. Helmut 'Josquius' Schmidt is sat on a hay bail drinking a beer watching an elderly man slowly bike up the mountain towards him.
"Grüezi young Helmut!" gasps the man as he approaches the bail
"Hey Mr Schmidt. Whats up? Still teaching?"
"No no....I've just been in the city...." the man manages to gasp out "...new job."
"Oh? Whats the job?"
"I've just been appointed...head of...Liechtenstein Olympic committee"
"Cool gig. What's it pay?"
"Oh... not much...just.... 200,000 francs a year. But its only 50% time so...its fine"
"Nice. Anything I can help you with?"
"Yes! Helmut! I remember back when you were in school. That one time you threw the stick clear across the field, a whole 20 metres!"
"Ah yeah, I remember that."
"Would you represent Liechtenstein in javelin?"
"Where's the olympics at this year?"
"Seoul. It's next Thursday."
"Hmm, I don't know. I've never been to Korea so that's cool, but I've got the national rugby team on Sunday so I don't want to do too much in one week...."
"There's the olympic village orgies"
"Sign me up"
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Barrister on June 18, 2019, 02:48:11 PM

Pstt banlieues include wealthy suburbs too, and non north african people live there too, in fewer numbers thanks to the disruption brought by immigrants non willing to integrate or assimilate.
Not to mention that a banlieue now is much better than what it used to be before the high rising social projects were built (slums).
As for 1 in 10, not even Le Pen goes that far.