News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baldur's Gate 3 announced

Started by Syt, June 06, 2019, 12:23:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

This is a real pleasure to play.  And I love that they have incorporated a DM of sorts.

Went with a half orc Paladin.  Already thinking about a Bard or Sorcerer next.  Although the pre-made warlock would also be interesting.

Now that I know I am going to be seeing my character in a lot of cut scenes I would have taken a bit more time designing their appearance.   :D

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on August 07, 2023, 06:35:25 PMI think if you play as one of the premade companions, you are free to take them into whatever direction you want, alignment-wise. Don't think there's anything set in stone regarding that. My personal speculation of their alignments based on their personalities would be as follows:

Oh you think that about Gale? That's cool, that is typically my favorite alignment.

Though I am skeptical a Priestess of Shar, who is the purest form of evil, would not be evil I am willing to give her a shot...especially since she is the only cleric I have found so far.

Planescape:Torment definitely made me a Githzerai fan, so tolerating having a Gith of the other sky is tough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Solmyr

Regarding Shadowheart, she definitely does not like Selunites, but otherwise is not into hurting people and actually approves when you resolve things peacefully and help others. She can't be Good based on official cleric alignment rules, but TN is one step from NE, so she can be that.

Jacob

Quote from: Solmyr on August 07, 2023, 03:56:17 PMI just went with a mod that let you have 16 companions in your party. :P I hate missing content because you didn't bring a specific character.

:lol:

Tamas

Great game. I am trying to stick with "good guy" choices -although not exclusively- to keep content for a future "bad guy" playthrough. Although I am not sure how blurred those lines are/will remain in the game.

Also I am trying not to save scum for dialog rolls, except when failure in one would result in an absolutely unwinnable fight. :P

Solmyr

Between having a Friends cantrip from my main enchanter wizard, a Guidance cantrip from someone else, and occasional use of Inspiration points, I don't think I've ever failed a dialog roll. Granted, if you have a lower Charisma and no access to the above, you might fail more often.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on August 08, 2023, 11:57:51 AMBetween having a Friends cantrip from my main enchanter wizard, a Guidance cantrip from someone else, and occasional use of Inspiration points, I don't think I've ever failed a dialog roll. Granted, if you have a lower Charisma and no access to the above, you might fail more often.

Have you: turned off karmic dice? :P

Valmy

So I started a game playing the Gith companion and wow the tutorial area was a lot different, they even added a whole new Gith character. I fucking love the reactivity.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

I wanted to buy this. Then I remembered that I've had Divinity: Original Sin for years sitting in the library.

So I'm playing those first.

Legbiter

I'm enjoying it as well. Main is a warlock. :thumbsup:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Tamas

I am wondering if I was playing the NPC warlock wrong in my first try. My PC was a wizard (also is in my current play) and I actually missed recruiting the lizard lady, meaning warlock guy was my melee guy and he... did not work great for that. Then again in my current game I of course have lizard lady but having a wizard as well in the team I fail to see what good the warlock would do. In fact I have a very classic line up of wizard-fighter-rogue-cleric and it is working quite well, giving me very AD&D feels. The fighter is great DPS now on level 5 hitting twice in a turn but also has the armor and HP to soak up damage when the enemies don't ignore her to come around hitting the other guys. The rogue is also good DPS but that mostly comes out at range, to be honest without that if it wasn't for lockpicking I'd probably have the barbarian instead. The cleric is well, the cleric, she can do decent damage as a secondar role especially if this nuke-at-touch spell (forgot the name) actually hits.

Solmyr

Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2023, 03:37:26 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on August 08, 2023, 11:57:51 AMBetween having a Friends cantrip from my main enchanter wizard, a Guidance cantrip from someone else, and occasional use of Inspiration points, I don't think I've ever failed a dialog roll. Granted, if you have a lower Charisma and no access to the above, you might fail more often.

Yes? When you have a +10 modifier and advantage, you don't need karmic dice.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on August 09, 2023, 04:54:51 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 08, 2023, 03:37:26 PM

Yes? When you have a +10 modifier and advantage, you don't need karmic dice.

Fair. I don't have that much on Charisma-related stuff, it's the arcane/wizardry related checks when I can sport those numbers. :) Plus the [retracted] rogue guy is an absolute beast for picking locks.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on August 09, 2023, 04:02:00 AMI am wondering if I was playing the NPC warlock wrong in my first try. My PC was a wizard (also is in my current play) and I actually missed recruiting the lizard lady, meaning warlock guy was my melee guy and he... did not work great for that. 

Warlock can select Pact of the Blade which gives them a second melee attack at Level 5.  Combined with combat oriented spells and invocations they can be effective.  But they are still probably stronger using eldritch blast at range.

As a human Wyll can also use polearms and feat into polearm and great weapon master which will do lots of damage.  With Pact of Blade he will use CHA as combat modifier.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson