Electronic Arts says the old way of releasing games doesn't work anymore

Started by Syt, May 08, 2019, 05:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2019, 10:54:38 PM
well, they released a Special Edition for the game (free for owners of Skyrim), they released a Elder Scrolls online and are working on TES VI (Skyrim was V), as well as publishing/creating other games.

I'd say they are on the rigth track, bug issues aside.

I disagree they are on the right track, but we will see. Hopefully we get another great TES game.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Bethesda is dead.

It died when Todd Howard decided he did not want to make any more games that people would play for hours on end without needing to pay him for the pleasure

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 22, 2019, 11:07:26 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 22, 2019, 10:54:38 PM
well, they released a Special Edition for the game (free for owners of Skyrim), they released a Elder Scrolls online and are working on TES VI (Skyrim was V), as well as publishing/creating other games.

I'd say they are on the rigth track, bug issues aside.

I disagree they are on the right track, but we will see. Hopefully we get another great TES game.
The next Elder Scroll will be a Skyrim-like game.  They already have an online game generating constant revenue.

Look at Blizzard.  They released Warcraft III, then went with WoW, a mega success.  They used these profits to create (sometimes, just try to) newer games in their existing IP.  They are extremely conservative, though, not the best studio to take examples from... but, they managed to release enjoyable games while having a cashcow that finances everything (within limits).

I think there is still hope for old gamers like us :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Well, before TES6 there'll be their as yet unrevealed space game.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2019, 02:07:38 PM
Look at Blizzard.  They released Warcraft III, then went with WoW, a mega success.  They used these profits to create (sometimes, just try to) newer games in their existing IP.  They are extremely conservative, though, not the best studio to take examples from... but, they managed to release enjoyable games while having a cashcow that finances everything (within limits).

Have you followed the news about Activision Blizzard in the last year or so?

viper37

Quote from: Solmyr on September 24, 2019, 03:01:18 AM
Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2019, 02:07:38 PM

Have you followed the news about Activision Blizzard in the last year or so?

Yes, they tried to find the next WoW (as in, constant $$$ stream) and failed miserably with their loot based game.
Before that, they tried to expand SC2 with single player missions but that didn't work very well.

It took them, what, 12 years before they committed to SC2?  And 5-6 years to release the full game?   I do not despair.  I know right now, they are focusing on a WC3 remaster, just finishing a disapointing SC1 remaster.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

viper37

Incidentally, EA is to release a remastered version of Command & Conquer and Red Alert.  The 4k remaster is made by Petroglyph, with former Westwood employees/founders working on it.