If/when Russia interferes in 2020 election... are we sure it's to favour Trump?

Started by Barrister, May 03, 2019, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2019, 08:48:02 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 05, 2019, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2019, 01:21:04 PMI think you are missing the point. Trump is good for Russia because of the chaos he creates, not because he would be some kind of dependable friend to Putin. Trump is not a reliable friend to anybody that I can see.

The "chaos". Yes he's mean on Twitter I guess. His victory is responsible for the hilarious wholesale nervous breakdown of the Democratic political and media class, for sure. For their sake he better not get a second term because I'd not be surprised to see them start offing themselves en masse if he did.

The economy hums along nicely, no major foreign wars yet and the sun yet shines. We were supposed to have economic collapse, nuclear war, an insane Russian puppet, etc.

Weakening of NATO and US international agreements. He is an avid nationalist who has a disdain for the type of international cooperation that Russia opposes. Him being in charge is a wildcard. That was what I mean.

I don't see the nervous breakdown. The Democrats gained seats. The media is making a zillion dollars. I don't really appreciate the strawman and personal attack here that I am hysterical over Trump. That is bullshit and you know it. So why waste my time with this kind of dishonest garbage?

Why do you always take generalized statements as personal attacks?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2019, 08:52:10 PM
Certainly our abiity to carry debt and deficits goes way beyond what I ever would have predicted.

Bubbles always look good until they don't.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 05, 2019, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2019, 08:48:02 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on May 05, 2019, 01:35:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2019, 01:21:04 PMI think you are missing the point. Trump is good for Russia because of the chaos he creates, not because he would be some kind of dependable friend to Putin. Trump is not a reliable friend to anybody that I can see.

The "chaos". Yes he's mean on Twitter I guess. His victory is responsible for the hilarious wholesale nervous breakdown of the Democratic political and media class, for sure. For their sake he better not get a second term because I'd not be surprised to see them start offing themselves en masse if he did.

The economy hums along nicely, no major foreign wars yet and the sun yet shines. We were supposed to have economic collapse, nuclear war, an insane Russian puppet, etc.

Weakening of NATO and US international agreements. He is an avid nationalist who has a disdain for the type of international cooperation that Russia opposes. Him being in charge is a wildcard. That was what I mean.

I don't see the nervous breakdown. The Democrats gained seats. The media is making a zillion dollars. I don't really appreciate the strawman and personal attack here that I am hysterical over Trump. That is bullshit and you know it. So why waste my time with this kind of dishonest garbage?

Why do you always take generalized statements as personal attacks?

I don't always. But Legbiter has gone on like this for literally years. Then I point out how I don't think it is true. And he agrees. And then he does it again. And then I point out how I don't think it is true. And he agrees. And then he does it again. And then I point out how I don't think it is true. And he agrees. And then he does it again. And then I point out how I don't think it is true. And he agrees. And then he does it again.

So after awhile I don't think he might be completely forthright.

And anyway that was not a generalized statement. He was taking something I said and characterizing it as irrational. I am not sure how that is not a personal attack.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2019, 10:19:48 PM

Humanity is a bubble. Our planet is destined to be swallowed by the sun, and our universe is doomed to either expand into nothingness or collapse in a giant fireball. Though I doubt humanity will survive long enough to perish in any of the previously mentioned events.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Fair analogy that modern civilization is a bubble.
I've always said we're in a race against time to get our civilization space borne as we've long passed the point of no return. Either we expand life now or we never do.

But yeah. Different subject.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on May 06, 2019, 09:58:17 AM
If only it were a race against thyme. Then we might win. :(

Not a chance.  Parsley, sage and rosemary are far too slow.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 06, 2019, 09:38:45 AM
We seem to be thinking about *slightly* different time scales.

Yeah, I don't think the time scales Yi is dealing with have much if any impact on next year's unemployment rate or whether or not any of us can make our mortgage payments.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 06, 2019, 09:01:49 AM
Quote from: grumbler on May 05, 2019, 10:19:48 PM

Humanity is a bubble. Our planet is destined to be swallowed by the sun, and our universe is doomed to either expand into nothingness or collapse in a giant fireball. Though I doubt humanity will survive long enough to perish in any of the previously mentioned events.

Whoosh
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.