Julian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Started by Syt, April 11, 2019, 04:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47891737

QuoteJulian Assange: Wikileaks co-founder arrested in London

Wikileaks co-founder Julian Assange has been arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

Mr Assange took refuge in the embassy seven years ago to avoid extradition to Sweden over a sexual assault case that has since been dropped.

The Metropolitan Police said he had been taken into custody and will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court "as soon as is possible".

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2019/apr/11/wikileaks-founder-julian-assange-arrested-at-the-ecuadorean-embassy-live-updates

QuoteEcuador's President Lenin Moreno has issued a video explaining his decision to withdraw Julian Assange's asylum status after seven years. Moreno complained about Assange's behaviour and accused him of being involved in "interfering in internal affairs of other states" while in the embassy.

He said the asylum of Assange "is unsustainable and no longer viable" because he had repeatedly violated "clear cut provisions of the conventions of on diplomatic asylum", citing the recent leak of Vatican documents by Wikileaks.

The statement continued:

"The patience of Ecuador has reached its limit on the behaviour of Mr Assange. He installed electronic and distortion equipment not allowed. He blocked the security cameras of the Ecuadorian mission in London. He has confronted and mistreated guards. He had accessed the security files of our embassy without permission. He claimed to be isolated and rejected the internet connection offered by the embassy and yet he had a mobile phone with which he communicated with the outside world.

"While Ecuador upheld the generous conditions of his asylum, Mr Assange legally challenged in three difference instances the legality of the protocol. In all cases the relevant judicial authorities have validated Ecuador's position in line with our strong commitment to human rights and international law.

"I requested Great Britain to guarantee that Mr Assange would not be extradited to a country where he could face torture or the death penalty. The British government has confirmed it in writing, in accordance with its own rules.

"Finally, two days ago, Wikileaks, Mr Assange's allied organisation, threatened the government of Ecuador. My government has nothing to fear and does not act under threats. Ecuador is guided by the principles of law, complies with international law and protects the interests of Ecuadorians."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Assange is an ass, but I don't see a path to charging him in the US that doesn't set some very bad precedents.  Let him do his time in the UK for breaking bail, and then let him sink into oblivion while frantically trying to make himself relevant again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Apparently we do want him.

From same guardian link above
US Justice department says Assange faces five years in jail
The US Justice Department has confirmed that it issued a extradition request for Assange "in connection with a federal charge of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion for agreeing to break a password to a classified US government computer".

In a statement it cited court documents unsealed today, that show the charge relates to "Assange's alleged role in one of the largest compromises of classified information in the history of the United States".

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on April 11, 2019, 08:30:36 AM
Womp womp

Actually, isn't he supposed to be a good guy now from your side's point of view? He has never smeared Russia even once, actively helped Russian efforts to hinder Clinton, and in general was hell-bent on causing as much trouble to pre-Trump USA as possible.

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2019, 08:37:20 AM
Womp womp

Actually, isn't he supposed to be a good guy now from your side's point of view? He has never smeared Russia even once, actively helped Russian efforts to hinder Clinton, and in general was hell-bent on causing as much trouble to pre-Trump USA as possible.

:lol:  Cute.

Anyway, he's one of those figures that has had friends and enemies on all parts of the political spectrum.  I was never a fan.  But then again I'm not part of the Populist Right, as you should know. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Seven years? Blows my mind that he's been there that long. Time really does fly.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Womp womp

Sarah Palin called him a traitor ( I don't think she knows what that word meant), and then claimed that Assange is "all about freedom".  It's weird, but conservatives have reversed themselves on a bunch of people in the Trump era.  Like Putin and Kim Jong Un.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2019, 09:08:44 AM
Womp womp

Sarah Palin called him a traitor ( I don't think she knows what that word meant), and then claimed that Assange is "all about freedom".  It's weird, but conservatives have reversed themselves on a bunch of people in the Trump era.  Like Putin and Kim Jong Un.

Well that's quite a coincidence, since I've reversed myself on Sarah Palin over the same time period.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on April 11, 2019, 09:33:20 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 11, 2019, 09:08:44 AM
Womp womp

Well that's quite a coincidence, since I've reversed myself on Sarah Palin over the same time period.

Why did it take so long? I reversed my opinion of her between when McCain announced her as a pick and her first speech as VP pick.