Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2019, 08:27:58 AM
I didn't know "incel" was a thing until about a month ago.  Can't get my mind around why someone would voluntarily adopt that label, let alone turn it into a movement of some sort.  Maybe put that time & energy into correcting your situation?

Completely agree. Once you surround yourself with enablers who encourage your victim status, what chance do you have? It is not like it is a support group.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Maybe someone should tell them about masturbation?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

The Larch

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 05, 2019, 08:10:44 AM
Having known no incels in real life, take this with a massive grain of salt, but I think their problem is less about sex and more about having utterly no confidence, feeling sorry for themselves as a result (to the point of derangement), and then blaming the world (but primarily women) for their problems.

Does anyone actually know an incel in real life?

They are sadly rather common in some internet subcultures (gamers, anime fans...). I don't think I know any personally, but a couple of guys I'm acquainted with who rather fit the "sad nerd loser" stereotype wouldn't surprise me one bit if they belonged to or were adjacent to any of these groups.

Grey Fox

Incels are just nerds that should really start going to a retrograde Church so they can find the servant/slave women they think they deserve.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 08:48:48 AM
Incels are just nerds that should really start going to a retrograde Church so they can find the servant/slave women they think they deserve.

I read an article in NRO on that exact theme - not that they'll find a servant/slave woman, but that going to church and involving themselves in the community they would find a wife.

Problem with incels though, from what I can tell (and I don't really spend much effort wanting to learn about them) is they come across that they don't want a wife and partner - they want easy, casual sex promised to them by popular culture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Or, you know, any sort of community or social group that is not celebrating and entrenching failure.

Popular culture is great at entertaining, very bad at giving dating and relationship advice.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:04:50 AM
Or, you know, any sort of community or social group that is not celebrating and entrenching failure.

Popular culture is great at entertaining, very bad at giving dating and relationship advice.

I suppose, but I think there's probably something particularly special about going to a church in this context.

But anyways, the article wasn't hard to find if you're curious:

https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2018/05/28/incel-advice-start-going-to-church/

Valmy

I mean maybe things are different at your church but I would rather people go to church because they want to be religious and spiritual not because they want to get laid.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 05, 2019, 09:48:59 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 08:48:48 AM

I read an article in NRO on that exact theme - not that they'll find a servant/slave woman, but that going to church and involving themselves in the community they would find a wife.

Problem with incels though, from what I can tell (and I don't really spend much effort wanting to learn about them) is they come across that they don't want a wife and partner - they want easy, casual sex promised to them by popular culture.

I'll read the article, seems interesting.

So it is more in that they are failing to recognize in which league they belong to then?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:20:24 AM
I mean maybe things are different at your church but I would rather people go to church because they want to be religious and spiritual not because they want to get laid.

I go to church to look at art and sculpture and architecture. :nerd:

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 05, 2019, 10:29:57 AM
So it is more in that they are failing to recognize in which league they belong to then?

Sometimes. I mean I don't read the incel stuff very often but often they talk about wanting a hot girl. I am like "dude I am pretty successful career-wise and reasonably attractive and even I did not delude myself into thinking some super hottie was going to be into me" granted I still tried...

The Brain

Incels are self-hating men. Being a man means being expendable. It means not getting participation trophies, because you are not automatically important to your population. They hate this.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 05, 2019, 10:20:24 AM

Well first, the "incels should go to church" idea isn't that they'll get laid - it's that they'll get married.

Second, the article even covers that point:

QuoteAll you have to do to clear that first hurdle is show up. You're a man, you go to church, ergo you are a churchgoing man. Maybe you go for self-interested reasons. Most churches are good with that: Lots of people come to church not because they fell off their ass on the road to Damascus but because they are lonely or because they are unhappy with some aspect of their lives. That's okay. In Jesus's time, a lot of people came mostly for the show and the bread and the fishes. Just park your ass on a pew and we'll see about your immortal soul.

I can tell you I think that fits with my church - just come through the door, whatever your reason, and then we'll see what we can do about the "religious and spiritual" stuff.