Who should the democrats pick to run against Trump

Started by jimmy olsen, April 01, 2019, 06:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who should the democrats nominate to run against Trump?

Joe Biden
5 (12.2%)
Bernie Sanders
9 (22%)
Kamala Harris
5 (12.2%)
Beto O'Rourke
3 (7.3%)
Elizabeth Warren
4 (9.8%)
Amy Klobuchar
3 (7.3%)
Kirsten Gillibrand
0 (0%)
Cory Booker
2 (4.9%)
Pete Buttigieg
5 (12.2%)
Other
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Zoupa

derspiess

Because he says he's not and he clashes with alt-right types that hate him.  And he's gay, married to a black man, and claims Jewish roots.

IMO an acceptable term would be "alt-lite".
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Zoupa

Bah, close enough. Just another troll with absolutely nothing to add, who cares how he labels himself.

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 06:16:27 PM
Because he says he's not and he clashes with alt-right types that hate him.  And he's gay, married to a black man, and claims Jewish roots.

Who exactly is alt-right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Habbaku

Quote from: Zoupa on April 04, 2019, 06:22:12 PM
Bah, close enough. Just another troll with absolutely nothing to add, who cares how he labels himself.

It's a fairly important distinction. Milo's a douchebag and a troll, but labeling people alt-right without warrant seems to muddy the waters and lead to potential for crying-wolf. Guys like Mike Cernovich is pretty clearly alt-right. Milo and Ben Shapiro, not so much.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 04, 2019, 06:16:27 PM

Nobody is Alt-Right according to Derspeiss.  He just sang karoke with Nazis and reached out to them about stuff he was writing for Breitbart.  Just like any normal person would have.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on April 04, 2019, 08:25:00 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 04, 2019, 06:22:12 PM

It's a fairly important distinction. Milo's a douchebag and a troll, but labeling people alt-right without warrant seems to muddy the waters and lead to potential for crying-wolf. Guys like Mike Cernovich is pretty clearly alt-right. Milo and Ben Shapiro, not so much.

What exactly is the alt-right? If there is a distinction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

I think there's a distinction, but Trumpism has managed to blur the lines a bit over the last couple of years.

Wiki has a pretty solid definition, I think, and one that's not easy to twist to serve the left's attempts to smear every conservative with the label: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alt-right
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 04, 2019, 05:24:04 PM
I've seen nothing about any "system."  You're projecting your own Marxism. I've seen plenty of rage about hotties that don't bang them and dudes who do get laid.

You should look harder. It's a well documented feature of incel "manifestos". This may be a good place to start. https://www.vox.com/2018/5/4/17314260/incel-sex-robots-sexual-redistribution-ross-douthat-history
Que le grand cric me croque !

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 04, 2019, 11:38:17 PM
You should look harder. It's a well documented feature of incel "manifestos". This may be a good place to start. https://www.vox.com/2018/5/4/17314260/incel-sex-robots-sexual-redistribution-ross-douthat-history

It may very well be a well documented feature of incel manifestos but you wouldn't know it from reading that article.  That article is about a guy who is analyzing incels philosophically, sociologically and economically.  He's not an incel himself (or if he is it doesn't come up in the article) and he proclaims no manifestos, incel or otherwise.

Oexmelin

Yes, it's a place to start, not Incel 101. I'll let you research the dark web for incel chat rooms, or scour comments on Jordan Peterson's pages, or hunt around for angry white male twitter accounts, or discussions of Gamersgate. It comes up frequently. Count your blessings if you haven't been exposed to it.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

They do believe the "system" is rigged against them, but it's a social one, not political.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on April 05, 2019, 12:47:25 AM
They do believe the "system" is rigged against them, but it's a social one, not political.

Let me just say that they seem to resent people, not systems.